Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I want to become a local councillor or possibly an MP.

I set up a petition to save a local bus service. Due to the petition and a lot of concerned locals, the bus service was saved.

I enjoyed doing that, and I enjoyed making a difference. It will help so many elderly people, and it will keep people in jobs.

I feel like I achieved something and I love that feeling.

How do I go about doing this?

*I know that's only one thing, but if I have lots of local views or feedback or need something done, I get really passionate*

ReputationRep:
    Join a local political association, hang about for a couple of years doing some soul-destroying leafleting, telephoning and canvassing (if you're lucky, sometimes this includes election day drops at 6am, before potentially going to stand on a polling station for a few hours wishing you'd brought your gloves).

By that point, I think most parties will want you to become an approved candidate. This isn't far off an assessment centre for a job, but is ultimately to check that you're not a as mad as a brush or a complete simpleton. Thereafter you appeal to the local association that you've been involved in, who may or may not put you up for election in a ward - typically an unwinnable one first.

If your local association isn't particularly flush with cash, you may find yourself having to pay or fundraise for a substantial share of the leaflets and stuff. If you're lucky, you'll get the peculiar mix of people that local politics attracts to come out and help with deliveries and so on.

In short, you have to go down the rabbithole quite a bit further before you stand a chance. Otherwise, stand as an independent, get 20 votes and realise you've wasted everyone's time.

ReputationRep:
    OR... depending on how popular you are socially you might get enough people to believe in you to actually vote for you independently. Keep doing what you are doing and if possible do it more.. set up Social Media accounts for your self candidate.. and video and take pictures of all the good you do.. it is something to be proud of and at the least you will have it all saved, if nothing ever comes of it.

We need more people in the world who are like you.. so well done and keep going.

ReputationRep:
    L i b might sound like he's being over cyncial, but this is a fair representation of the process. Local councillor is a little less difficult to do (there's various levels of local government, so it depends what you classify 'local') but being nominated as an candidate for a parliamentary election is quite a process.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.. but the question was "how do I become a Councillor?" and this process is not that difficult, IF the position is available in a local area you want to represent, or if you can beat one of the other 3 Councillors in your local ward at a local election.. any person, if they are popular enough and put themselves forward could become a Councillor, although it is much easier if you join the local favorite party if a position was to arise.. a trained chimp could get elected in my area if they stand for Labour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iknowbest)
    OR... depending on how popular you are socially you might get enough people to believe in you to actually vote for you independently.
    That may work in deepest Cornwall, the Scottish islands, or rural Hampshire if you've been on every civic forum going for ten years. In reality though, you're about as likely to be appointed Lord Lieutenant.

ReputationRep:
    That's strange because I personally know 3 people who have become Councillors in my area within Manchester!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.