Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically i've recently passed my test and started driving my new car. my instructors car was pretty much idiot proof and let u get away with a lot. The trouble I'm having is the other day i was following a lorry who was going very slow round an industrial park. i was going around 10mph in second gear, and you could tell by the engine noises it was on the verge of stalling. I didnt know what to do because my car only likes being in first gear when youre pretty much stationary. my mum told me to dip the clutch but i felt this didnt reslly help. what should i do if this situation comes up again?

ReputationRep:
    Is the car an old car? Most cars won't stall in 2nd gear if you don't touch the pedals (not on an incline obviously) they will just cruise along at a low speed.

ReputationRep:
    Not really its 2008. i was on the accelorator just going along slowly and it was shaking and chugging and didnt stall but it sounded like it was on the verge

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

You won't stall in second if you're not of the clutch. The car will roll along at around 10mph or so.
    Next time perhaps do that?
    Or even dip the cutch at points (you cant stall with the clutch depressed all the way down).
    If you car is making hose noises it may be worth getting it checked out. There may be something wrong with it.
    It's better to do it sooner than later (will burn less of a hole in your pocket).

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I kind of dipped the clutch a bit and then disregarded it as something that would help but I realise now if I dip the clutch to the biting point it will be okay, as I was just on the accelerator and not using the clutch at all.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the revs were too low for the gear you were in, hence all the chugging and stuttering, but you should be ok at 10mph in second. What size is the engine? If the revs sound too low for the speed you're going, simply change gear. I wouldn't panic about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Sounds like the revs were too low for the gear you were in, hence all the chugging and stuttering, but you should be ok at 10mph in second. What size is the engine? If the revs sound too low for the speed you're going, simply change gear. I wouldn't panic about it.
    Its only a one litre, i just didnt want to force my car into first as i know its not good for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daloje)
    Its only a one litre, i just didnt want to force my car into first as i know its not good for it
    It's just about matching the gear to the speed of the road wheels - if it's struggling in second at 10mph then change into first. As long as it's not over-revving in first, you won't do any damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daloje)
    putting a car into first gear at 10 mph isnt bad for it.... thats if you know how to rev match. next time it starts juddering. clutch down, into first, blip the throttle to up the revs then release the clutch.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.