The Student Room Group

The music exam support, questions and ahhh thread!

Scroll to see replies

I play electric and piano and I'm really hating the studying we have to do.I hate all the pieces(with exception of Jeff Buckley) and there are so many.
Original post by HorrorBunny
I play electric and piano and I'm really hating the studying we have to do.I hate all the pieces(with exception of Jeff Buckley) and there are so many.

What exam is it you're doing? Is there any way you can change pieces, or not do exams in them at all? They're not for everyone, sure most people end up never wanting to play most of their pieces again by the time they actually take the exam but you should at least like them to start off with!

Original post by IKEAPanda37
Thank you :hugs: Awww, music exams are just the worst tbh and the most nerve racking :redface:

I'm with Trinity :smile: Basically, we have to perform 3 pieces, then there is a compulsory technical exercise that you have to do. You then either pick between scales (learnt by heart) or technical exercises (not learnt by heart) and obviously I picked the technical exercises :tongue: And then I'm also doing sight reading and aural :h:

Missed this sorry :redface: they are! Ah okay, they're good from what I've heard. Yeahh don't blame you going for the technical exercises, especially on guitar :lol: when's your exam? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
What exam is it you're doing? Is there any way you can change pieces, or not do exams in them at all? They're not for everyone, sure most people end up never wanting to play most of their pieces again by the time they actually take the exam but you should at least like them to start off with!

Missed this sorry :redface: they are! Ah okay, they're good from what I've heard. Yeahh don't blame you going for the technical exercises, especially on guitar :lol: when's your exam? :smile:

Don't have a definite date yet, its between 20th June and 7th July :h:
Honestly can't decide between pieces for my List C. A pianist friend of mine suggested learning them all and choosing my favorite but that'd take too long.
How do you all tend to decide?

Narrowed it down to:
Johannes Brahms Intermezzo in A minor: No. 7 from Clavierstücke, Op. 76
Mazurka in A flat major Op. 59 No. 2 (probably not as I'm learning a Waltz for a competition and don't want to learn two Chopin dance pieces atm)
George Gershwin Liza. Meet George Gershwin at the Keyboard
Medtner - 3 Arabesques, Op.7 - 1. Idyll
Felix Mendelssohn Song without Words, Op. 67 No. 4. No. 34

Don't have a definite date yet, its between 20th June and 7th July :h:

How is exam prep going?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Honestly can't decide between pieces for my List C. A pianist friend of mine suggested learning them all and choosing my favorite but that'd take too long.

Narrowed it down to:
Mazurka in A flat major Op. 59 No. 2 (probably not as I'm learning a Waltz for a competition and don't want to learn two Chopin dance pieces atm)

How is exam prep going?

Hey :h: Yeah its going ok I think, pretty much looked at all parts of the exam and did a mock exam a few weeks ago. I think I got like 57/100 which obviously isnt a pass but I made stupid mistakes that I can definitely work on. The only thing thats going really badly is sight reading, I used to have no problem but now they expect you play in different positions and stuff and you still get like 30 seconds to look at it so its pretty much impossible :frown: Apart from that, I think I'm ok for my exam in July :smile:

And about choosing pieces, I generally go for what they sound like. My teacher would play them roughly and then I just picked the ones that sounded interesting.

Btw are piano exams much different than guitar ones?
Hey :h: Yeah its going ok I think, pretty much looked at all parts of the exam and did a mock exam a few weeks ago. I think I got like 57/100 which obviously isnt a pass but I made stupid mistakes that I can definitely work on.

Did your teacher conduct the mock exam?

The only thing thats going really badly is sight reading, I used to have no problem but now they expect you play in different positions and stuff and you still get like 30 seconds to look at it so its pretty much impossible :frown: Apart from that, I think I'm ok for my exam in July :smile:

Awww, well I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck!

And about choosing pieces, I generally go for what they sound like. My teacher would play them roughly and then I just picked the ones that sounded interesting.

Yea, that method has served me thus far but there are a few I like.

Btw are piano exams much different than guitar ones?

I don't think so, no.
But you'll need to know how to sightread sheet music, I think, for classical guitar for ABRSM
(edited 6 years ago)
Did your teacher conduct the mock exam?

Awww, well I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck!

Yea, that method has served me thus far but there are a few I like.

I don't think so, no.
But you'll need to know how to sightread sheet music, I think, for classical guitar for ABRSM

Yes, but she said she was harsh :smile: I failed all my Grade 5 mock exams but managed to pass the actual thing so hopefully the same will happen here :tongue:

Thank you :h: Good luck for yours too :thumbsup:

Narrowed it down to:

How is exam prep going?

What are your other pieces like? You want a bit of a range in there ideally, which the lists try to be anyway but yeah. As much for your own sanity as anything else! Song without words is lovely, the Gershwin could be interesting too but quite a different skillset so make sure it's something you might be able to do. I don't know the others, will have a look later if I remember.

Good luck @IKEAPanda37! Start off with easy sight-reading and work upwards, or practice those in different positions and try and get quicker at it gradually. No idea how I passed my first grade 6 but I did it, you've done way more work and stuff so definitely should!
@furryface12 My exam is tomorrow morning :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4:

Part of me is freaking out, part of me is like dont worry you've got this and the other part is like dont worry even if it doesnt go well, at least this doesnt affect your future

I'll let you know how it goes :thumbsup:
@furryface12 My exam is tomorrow morning :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4:

Part of me is freaking out, part of me is like dont worry you've got this and the other part is like dont worry even if it doesnt go well, at least this doesnt affect your future

I'll let you know how it goes :thumbsup:

Ooh good luck! Stay calm and do your best, that's all anyone can ask :smile: you'll be alright! exactly, you have nothing to lose, and be so nice to have done! Good luck :biggrin:
Ooh good luck! Stay calm and do your best, that's all anyone can ask :smile: you'll be alright! exactly, you have nothing to lose, and be so nice to have done! Good luck :biggrin:

Sorry, I forgot to post how it went :facepalm: (doesnt help that notifications aren't working atm :rolleyes:)

Overall I think it went well :thumbsup: obviously it could always have gone better, made quite a few mistakes that usually dont happen but thats understandable bc of nerves so im hoping i passed :h: Examiner seemed a bit annoyed I wanted to do the exam back to front (he asked if i wanted to start with exercises or pieces but i asked if i could do aural then sight reading first :tongue:) Sight reading wasn't great (not that I was expecting a miracle :lol:) but I definitely tried my best so I'm hoping for the best :smile:
Sorry, I forgot to post how it went :facepalm: (doesnt help that notifications aren't working atm :rolleyes:)

Overall I think it went well :thumbsup: obviously it could always have gone better, made quite a few mistakes that usually dont happen but thats understandable bc of nerves so im hoping i passed :h: Examiner seemed a bit annoyed I wanted to do the exam back to front (he asked if i wanted to start with exercises or pieces but i asked if i could do aural then sight reading first :tongue:) Sight reading wasn't great (not that I was expecting a miracle :lol:) but I definitely tried my best so I'm hoping for the best :smile:

Don't worry! Yeah they're a bit random :redface: think I might have replied to you from the new app which might have something to do with it, hopefully this one will come through.

Good! Yeah definitely, you'll notice them more too. Ah :tongue: did he say yes though? Trying your best is good, and all anyone can ask :smile: fingers crossed for you!
Don't worry! Yeah they're a bit random :redface: think I might have replied to you from the new app which might have something to do with it, hopefully this one will come through.

Good! Yeah definitely, you'll notice them more too. Ah :tongue: did he say yes though? Trying your best is good, and all anyone can ask :smile: fingers crossed for you!

Yeah this one went through :woo:

He did which was good :tongue: Its because for one of my pieces, I had to tune down the 6th string to make it sound like the 4th so I thought it would be best to do that at the end, otherwise I would have to change it back and risk sounding out of tune for the rest of the exam. He obvs doesnt get people doing it in this order very often :lol:

Thank you :h: Yep, at least the wait for these results aren't as long as A-level ones, we'll just have to see :smile:
@furryface12

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party: :party:

I literally and I mean literally scraped through (60/100) :giggle: but i passed and Im just relieved :woo:
@furryface12

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: :party: :party:

I literally and I mean literally scraped through (60/100) :giggle: but i passed and Im just relieved :woo:

That's amazing! So pleased for you :smile: a pass is a pass, yeah exactly :biggrin: well done you!!
That's amazing! So pleased for you :smile: a pass is a pass, yeah exactly :biggrin: well done you!!

Thank you :hugs: It's good to finish my guitar lessons on a high :thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest