Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I start a new job next week at a bank care assistant at a hospital, we have no uniform though and this is making me nervous?? What should I wear and why do we not have uniforms? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have a bank health care assistant job that I start next week however we have no uniform and have to wear our own clothes?? Confused by what is suitable to wear and what kind of shoes?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I start a new job next week as a bank health care assistant and do not have a uniform as we have to wear our own clothes! I have no idea what to wear, it's working with people with mental health in hospital. Tips for shoes and clothes appropriate will be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I have a bank health care assistant job that I start next week however we have no uniform and have to wear our own clothes?? Confused by what is suitable to wear and what kind of shoes? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a bank health care assistant job that I start next week however we have no uniform and have to wear our own clothes?? Confused by what is suitable to wear and what kind of shoes? Thanks in advance!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm a bank hca in a care home & a hospital, if they do not supply a uniform, black/blue trousers that are comfortable & allow you to move easily, a top that doesn't have sleeves longer than to your elbow, you need to have bare skin below the elbows for infection control reasons, and of course nothing too low cut. Shoe wise- I wear trainers that are plain black and comfy, something you can wipe clean with a non slip sole.

Hope this helps & have a good first day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel_l218)
    I'm a bank hca in a care home & a hospital, if they do not supply a uniform, black/blue trousers that are comfortable & allow you to move easily, a top that doesn't have sleeves longer than to your elbow, you need to have bare skin below the elbows for infection control reasons, and of course nothing too low cut. Show wise- I wear trainers that are plain black and comfy, something you can wipe clean with a non slip sole.

Hope this helps & have a good first day.

Great thank you for your help! I was just confused as to why bank staff didn't have a uniform! I wil wear black trousers and a sensible top/shoes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yeah that is confusing, where are you working? Care home? Hospital?

ReputationRep:
    yeah that is confusing, where are you working? Care home? Hospital?
    A hospital, but it's across a whole county so I'm thinking it's so I don't have to get a different uniform for each hospital? Just think I'm going to look so odd and like not part of the team!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I agree, having a uniform identifies you as one of the staff, I know you can buy tunics online, a couple of agency RN's I've worked with buy they're own, worth seeing what other staff do with the company you work for.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, having a uniform identifies you as one of the staff, I know you can buy tunics online, a couple of agency RN's I've worked with buy they're own, worth seeing what other staff do with the company you work for.
    It does, yes I'm going to do that and if it's the same everywhere I'm going to see about buying a tunic so I fit in a bit more! Thank you :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a care home and nobody has a uniform! I just wear some black trousers (cotton material, like cheap imitation skinny jeans) and a black t-shirt. You get so hot and bothered that you'll need to wear black or white, and don't spend a fortune as it'll get ruined quite quickly! Footwear is worth spending a bit more on as you're on your feet for ages. Nurses recommend shoes that don't let any liquid in (for hopefully obvious reasons), but the main thing is comfort. I have a pair of black running trainers and they're fab! What I wear is quite standard for where I work- some people who are less hands-on wear slightly smarter blouses but I don't really see the point when I like to put them on a high temperature wash to make sure they're clean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    I'm in a care home and nobody has a uniform! I just wear some black trousers (cotton material, like cheap imitation skinny jeans) and a black t-shirt. You get so hot and bothered that you'll need to wear black or white, and don't spend a fortune as it'll get ruined quite quickly! Footwear is worth spending a bit more on as you're on your feet for ages. Nurses recommend shoes that don't let any liquid in (for hopefully obvious reasons), but the main thing is comfort. I have a pair of black running trainers and they're fab! What I wear is quite standard for where I work- some people who are less hands-on wear slightly smarter blouses but I don't really see the point when I like to put them on a high temperature wash to make sure they're clean.
    Oh I'm glad to have heard this! I'm not going to spend anything, I have comfy black trousers and have some black shoes and trainers, I also have converse all black shoes but thing the nurses in charge may not be amused by converse?
    Think I'll just stick to very simple and cheap tops also! Thank you :-)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Tiffany0596)
    Hi!
    I have a bank health care assistant job that I start next week however we have no uniform and have to wear our own clothes?? Confused by what is suitable to wear and what kind of shoes? Thanks in advance!
    This varies greatly by health board and also the clinical area you will be working in so it really is impossible to advise. There should be a uniform policy provided for you, even if you have to wear your own clothes as there will likely be strict rules to maintain patient safety and infection control. If you are in doubt, the best thing to do is to phone up your contact at the bank and ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    This varies greatly by health board and also the clinical area you will be working in so it really is impossible to advise. There should be a uniform policy provided for you, even if you have to wear your own clothes as there will likely be strict rules to maintain patient safety and infection control. If you are in doubt, the best thing to do is to phone up your contact at the bank and ask.

I have asked multiple staff there and have only been told 'smart or casual and sensible shoes' so haven't had much help, it's mental health wards in hospitals
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Tiffany0596)
    I have asked multiple staff there and have only been told 'smart or casual and sensible shoes' so haven't had much help, it's mental health wards in hospitals
    Request the uniform policy. The last thing you want is to be told off or sent home for breaking a uniform rule you knew nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Request the uniform policy. The last thing you want is to be told off or sent home for breaking a uniform rule you knew nothing about.
    Thank you for your reply but I have asked and as it's in multiple hospitals and I will be being around they would have to send me a policy from each hospital. I have asked multiple times and different staff in person, by email and on the phone and have been told the same thing. Hence why I'm asking on here for a bit more clarity and If anyone had any experience of staff not wearing a uniform, but thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.