Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm a first year at Uni and I'm studying social work. When I came to uni I knew that I wanted to work in the adult sector. However, I've learnt a lot more being at Uni and I'm now confused on what area I should go into... Children? or Adults? How do you even know that you've made the right decision?

    My opinion on this is that - you don't. The beauty of SW is how broad it is, and whatever experience you gain in one sector, the knowledge from it can be adapted to all areas and aspects of SW. Think about children's and consider their development, theories such as attachment, although the prime focus is children, can be used in the later life stages of the adult lifespan when determining a cause for an individuals problems. Just an example of course, but it just show's how SW knowledge is applied constantly, and transferable.

    Right now, you have three full years until you qualify. You will do two placements, hopefully in different areas of SW, to give you a feeling of the role and aspects of a particular client group. Remember, just because you work in one area, does not mean you are stuck there forever - there is always the option to apply for other roles in other sectors, services, and charities even. Don't limit yourself to just one area, especially whilst you are at uni, use this opportunity wisely.

    Most people on my course are still unsure what area of SW they want to go into, and it's OK not to know just yet
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.