Turn on thread page Beta

Drinking before a driving lesson? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I've invited my mate to a birthday party with unlimited drinks but he has a driving lesson at 0830 the next morning.
    If he has say a bottle of wine and a few pints of lager and stops drinking at 2am will he be good for his driving lesson? Surely 5 hrs sleep and a coffee should be enough.

Secondly, is it a problem if a learner driver is slightly over the limit because they don't have a full license and really it's the instructor who is in charge anyway?

He could change his lesson time but has to allow 48hrs notice or loose his fee for the lesson.

Please help as it would be great if he could join us all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Hi
    I've invited my mate to a birthday party with unlimited drinks but he has a driving lesson at 0830 the next morning.
    If he has say a bottle of wine and a few pints of lager and stops drinking at 2am will he be good for his driving lesson? Surely 5 hrs sleep and a coffee should be enough.

Secondly, is it a problem if a learner driver is slightly over the limit because they don't have a full license and really it's the instructor who is in charge anyway?

He could change his lesson time but has to allow 48hrs notice or loose his fee for the lesson.

It not advisable to do that, no.
    "5 hours sleep and a coffee" will not be enough to sober anyone up to drive. And yes, it is a problem being "slightly over the limit", because although the driver only has a provisional and the instructor might be in charge, the fact still remains that you shouldnt be driving like that. The instructor should really turn round and refuse to take you on a lesson in that position.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Hi
    A bottle of wine and 2 pints of beer is 14 units. You metabolise 1 unit per hour, so if your friend stopped drinking at 2AM, he would not be fit to drive until around 3PM the next day.

If a learner drives while over the limit they are entirely responsible for their actions and will feel the full extent of the law. Expect a fine and a driving ban if caught. Expect far worse if his impaired reactions lead to an accident.

If it's not clear already, drinking the night before you need to drive somewhere is a massively dumb idea. Your friend may get away with 2-3 pints, absolutely no more than that. Personally, I would just stick with soft drinks if I was expecting to drive somewhere at half eight the next day, it's just not worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    A bottle of wine and 2 pints of beer is 14 units. You metabolise 1 unit per hour, so if your friend stopped drinking at 2AM, he would not be fit to drive until around 3PM the next day.

If a learner drives while over the limit they are entirely responsible for their actions and will feel the full extent of the law. Expect a fine and a driving ban if caught. Expect far worse if his impaired reactions lead to an accident.

If it's not clear already, drinking the night before you need to drive somewhere is a massively dumb idea. Your friend may get away with 2-3 pints, absolutely no more than that. Personally, I would just stick with soft drinks if I was expecting to drive somewhere at half eight the next day, it's just not worth the risk.
    Thanks I'll tell him that. Never knew it took so long to metabolise alcohol I think soft drinks or no more than 2 pints of lager maximum is best.

And losing £20 lesson fee is better than loss of licence and several hundred pounds fine if he does drink more. I think he'll just cancel or postpone the lesson to another day.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Thanks I'll tell him that. Never knew it took so long to metabolise alcohol I think soft drinks or no more than 2 pints of lager maximum is best.

And losing £20 lesson fee is better than loss of licence and several hundred pounds fine if he does drink more. I think he'll just cancel or postpone the lesson to another day.
    And jail time if he causes a serious accident...

ReputationRep:
    Hi

your 'mate' should hand his licence back and reapply when he has sufficient maturity to accept the responsibilities of beign a driver ...

after the level of consumption sugggested you would be looking at 12+ hours 'bottle to throttle ' to be safe and longer still to be back to near zero

ReputationRep:
    Hi

You can't honestly be serious?!

A bottle of wine, a few (lets assume 3) pints of lager = appro 16-18 units of alcohol. Since the average person will process around 1 unit per hour, he won't be fit to drive until at least 6pm the next evening.

You're also a terrible person yourself (you don't deserve to be called a "mate" if you're encouraging someone to get pissed the night before an early driving lesson. SImply having an instructor in the car does not give someone some kind of immunity against any prosecution. He will be banned from driving before he's even got his licence, face a hefty fine and possibly even custodial time - especially if he hurts or kills someone as a result. It's hard enough concentrating when you're an inexperienced driver, one can only imagine the extreme risk that you undertake when doing it shitfaced.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Also, Ambitious1999 - can I have an invite to this party??
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It's surprisingly uncommon knowledge actually. It's kinda worrying how many people think they can drive home the morning after a night on the razz, when they're almost certainly still over the limit, plus they're tired, possibly nursing a headache, and generally feeling pretty poorly. Not exactly ideal conditions for concentrating on the road!

Think of it as spending £20 for unlimited drinks, which to me sounds like money well spent. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    You can't honestly be serious?!

A bottle of wine, a few (lets assume 3) pints of lager = appro 16-18 units of alcohol. Since the average person will process around 1 unit per hour, he won't be fit to drive until at least 6pm the next evening.

You're also a terrible person yourself (you don't deserve to be called a "mate" if you're encouraging someone to get pissed the night before an early driving lesson. SImply having an instructor in the car does not give someone some kind of immunity against any prosecution. He will be banned from driving before he's even got his licence, face a hefty fine and possibly even custodial time - especially if he hurts or kills someone as a result. It's hard enough concentrating when you're an inexperienced driver, one can only imagine the extreme risk that you undertake when doing it shitfaced.

The legal alcohol limit for a provisional licence holder is 0mg. 35mg/l breath only applies to full licence holders.
    such a lovely post and then you go and ruin with with your un evidenced bull statement about differential limits.

regrettable as it is the threshold for prosecution is the same regardless of full, provisional or no licence at all.

https://www.gov.uk/drink-drive-limit

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter if he will be drunk or not. Human brain doesn't learn well whith sleeping deficiency, and caffeine has bad effect on memory, so the lesson is pointless anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    such a lovely post and then you go and ruin with with your un evidenced bull statement about differential limits.

regrettable as it is the threshold for prosecution is the same regardless of full, provisional or no licence at all.

https://www.gov.uk/drink-drive-limit
    Well put 3 holes in me and bowl me down the alley.
    You're right - what I always thought was fact and common knowledge turns out to be wrong. Good call.
    (On the other hand, it's probably not too bad to believe as "not facts" go...)

ReputationRep:
    Hell it was 18 odd months ago, all the posters in this thread are probably dead by now. :P

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.