Turn on thread page Beta

What is your experience of antidepressants for anxiety/OCD? watch

I've heard that antidepressants can actually make you feel more anxious and make sleeping more difficult and it feels a bit strange because with depression, you can't really challenge your mind to think differently but with anxiety and OCD you can, so how do you decide whether to take antidepressants? I've had anxiety for years and OCD symptoms more recently, I tend to feel the germs on me or wipe water/moistness off of electrical things. Sometimes I can stop myself but it can make me anxious. My hands get sore from all the washing I think. I used to be anxious about just going out but then it generalised to basically everything and I get stressed so easily. I've tried CBT for anxiety before and I'm thinking about trying it for OCD as I was told that I can't stop the anxiety because of the OCD, that needs to be tackled but when I've been told or read something to do with an anxiety in the past, I've felt better, there are times I've felt not anxious and happy for a while but then something else strikes me so I don't know if it will be the same with OCD. I was just wondering what people with similar experiences think of/ have experienced with antidepressants for OCD/anxiety? Thank you
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Have you been diagnosed with OCD? If not, it would be worth exploring it. Personally, I've found antidepressants to be very helpful in managing my anxiety, but of course my experience with them isn't that of everyone else. It sounds like it would be worth discussing this with your doctor, or whoever manages your mental health care as they know you and your history much better

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Have you been diagnosed with OCD? If not, it would be worth exploring it. Personally, I've found antidepressants to be very helpful in managing my anxiety, but of course my experience with them isn't that of everyone else. It sounds like it would be worth discussing this with your doctor, or whoever manages your mental health care as they know you and your history much better
    Thank you, I am going to discuss it but I'm just researching at the moment. I haven't been diagnosed with OCD but I have done the questionnaire for it and it was indicative that I have it and I don't know what else these symptoms could be. I think doctors can be reluctant to diagnose mental health conditions sometimes. It's good that they have really helped you. I'm looking into them because I have had anxiety for years and I just feel like now might be the right time to try this option. The side effects are a bit worrying though and the fact that there doesn't seem to be much research on them. Part of me thinks I should just keep trying other options but then part of me is just like 'these could really help you, it is worth trying'. I've had CBT before and some of it really helped but the worry always comes back and I'm concerned that if I try CBT for OCD it's just going to end up the same result. It might not but I had a poor experience when I tried to do CBT again before. And then there's ideas about diet, teas and exercise which I'm not sure about, with exercise I probably can't be bothered to do it (which I think is related to my mental health as I get this with a couple of my hobbies I used to love too)

ReputationRep:
    Personally I didn't take the anti depressants as CBT is supposed to be the most successful form of treatment. I've bought a CBT book for myself at the moment which I plan to read and hope it will calm my down and wipe out my anxiety once and for all

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Haskii)
    Personally I didn't take the anti depressants as CBT is supposed to be the most successful form of treatment. I've bought a CBT book for myself at the moment which I plan to read and hope it will calm my down and wipe out my anxiety once and for all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had some CBT before for anxiety and I'm just not sure if it works for me. Sometimes it helped me feel better for a bit but not in the long-term. I'm not sure whether to try it for OCD, I was told that I needed to tackle the OCD to tackle the anxiety but I'm not sure if I actually want to try CBT again, for me personally. I hope CBT helps you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.