Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an Arts degree and would like to do a Masters degree, but I'm not really sure what to apply for.

Can anyone give me any advice of what sort of Masters degrees have good job prospects and decent salary prospects?

I know this is quite a difficult question to answer, but based on the fact I have an Arts degree and therefore obviously can't study anything too specific, such as Sciences, etc, what are Masters degrees that generally have good prospects and are sought after?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    I have an Arts degree and would like to do a Masters degree, but I'm not really sure what to apply for.

Can anyone give me any advice of what sort of Masters degrees have good job prospects and decent salary prospects?

I know this is quite a difficult question to answer, but based on the fact I have an Arts degree and therefore obviously can't study anything too specific, such as Sciences, etc, what are Masters degrees that generally have good prospects and are sought after?
    It doesn't work like that - a Masters degree doesn't have good job prospects and can't command a better salary. A person can, and a person with the right inter-personal skills and the right technical knowledge is likely to get a higher paid job. So if you want to get a PG qualification, you need to be clear about a) what your skill set is currently, b) what your current technical/academic skills are, c) what job/career you want to take up, and only then find d) a masters degree that will enhance your current situation and give you a stronger chance of reaching your destination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    Then you need to work this out first. And, ask yourself why you want to 'do a Masters'.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I can't think of any Master's degree in an arts subject that would enhance prospects in any career other than an academic one in the subject it's in.

So, to follow up returnmigrant's advice - if your only answer to the question why you want to do a Master's is to enhance your job prospects, then don't do one.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with some of the above posts. Without professional experience in your field, the majority of Masters degrees won't be directly vocational or particularly enhance your employment prospects

From your posts over the past few months, we can see that you've been considering HR, Business and Town Planning. They seem to be a reasonable sub-set to start with. "Business" is quite a broad subject umbrella, so you'll need to look at the actual course content to make sure that there are useful modules founded in professional practice. Presumably a decent HR or Town Planning Masters will carry some kind of professional accreditation as well as the MA/MSc qualification, so this would be useful as far as jobs are concerned. However there must be cheaper ways of gaining that, maybe by starting from an entry-level job and working your way up. Once you have some years of experience, it will become obvious whether a Masters is of benefit - and you may even find that your employer will sponsor you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.