Turn on thread page Beta

Google scholar? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do I even use google scholar? I type information in click PDF and only about 20 pages comes up for everything, do I reference the author that made the article/journal?

Just confused with the way it works it looks confusing.
    When it says its cited 1000 times, does it mean people have used it to reference too or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theguynextdoor)
    How do I even use google scholar?
    It's a search engine like Google, but it limits search results to academic sources. I used to take two or three keywords from an essay question and use those for the initial search.

I type information in click PDF and only about 20 pages comes up for everything
    If you're looking at the PDF of a journal paper, 20 pages would be about right for the length. Check out the paper copies of journals in your uni library for examples.

do I reference the author that made the article/journal?
    Yes, you reference the author (or authors - they're often published by a team) of the paper, within the journal.

Every uni will have its own preferred referencing standards, so find them for your uni. At my uni, for a paper with a single author you would have an in-text reference of (Author Surname Year) and a Bibliography entry of:
    Author surname, Author Inital., Year. Paper title. Journal title. Edition (Issue number).

When it says its cited 1000 times, does it mean people have used it to reference too or what?
    Yes, but I don't worry too much about that. A large number of citations could either be an indicator that the source is highly credible, or that it's highly contentious. Read critically and you'll soon work out which is which.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.