Best city to study Watch

megino
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi please can you state the city and uni you study in along with the pros and cons in your own opinion. Also a bit of detail on how close your accommodation is to your uni and proximity to main things to do in that city e.g. Shops, food, entertainment.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by megino)
Hi please can you state the city and uni you study in along with the pros and cons in your own opinion. Also a bit of detail on how close your accommodation is to your uni and proximity to main things to do in that city e.g. Shops, food, entertainment.
I study at Bath which is really nice, coming from London so it mostly has pros but some cons.

Pros:

Really beautiful, clean, tidy, safe, happy place. A lot of students and families around.

Some things to do in town, good choice of stores (Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Lidl, even an Argos..). rugby ground, Nandos, cinema, green spaces etc.

1hr30 by train to London, maybe 15 minutes away from Bristol so quite well connected.

Very nice campus/uni area. Beautiful place.

Choice of events at the night, sometimes in the city, sometimes on campus. Bath Spa uni is there as well so twice the fun

Cons:

A bit expensive place to be.

Very hilly in places, cycling isn't a huge amount of fun.

Bus services aren't as regular in London, maybe I'm spoilt..
EmmaRebecca97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by megino)
I'm a first year studying at Bangor and in all honesty I love it here, but it really depends on what sort of thing you're looking for in a uni location.
I've never been particularly fond of big cities. Bangor is a city, but it is extremely small for a city and that's what I like about it. You have the shops and facilities you need within a decent walking distance but without it being too built up and busy. Also, you feel very safe. I feel more comfortable walking back home alone in the middle of the night in Bangor than I did back home which is saying something considering Bangor is a city.
If however you're the sort of person who is coming to uni expecting a great nightlife, Bangor may not be for you. We have two main nightclubs, Peep and Academi, and honestly they're ****e. But I'm not massively into the nightlife so for me it's ideal. There are lots of bars and pubs though so there is stuff to do in terms of nightlife, just not as much as if you went to like Leeds or Manchester. Bangor does however have a very diverse environment & all societies are free to join so if you have other interests there are lots of things that accommodate for the lack of clubs.
The accommodation at Bangor is very good. I'm in St Mary's Village which is the new built accommodation and, despite the fact the hill is brutal to walk up, it's very well done. The older site is also reasonably good and there is less of a hill. It takes me about 20 minutes to walk to lectures from my accommodation and there is an Asda and the main high street literally just down the road from the accommodation.
Overall my advice for picking uni would be to think about what you actually want from uni and look into whether your location can accommodate to that. As much as people say it's the course that's important, you have to remember you'll be living there for at least three years. If you hate the location you're not going to enjoy uni, because a good 2/3 of your time, at least in first year, will be spent outside of lectures and seminars so you want to make sure you enjoy being where you are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%