Limits on freedom of speech Watch

Mnemosyne.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Should there be limits on freedom of speech in any circumstances, in your opinion?
Nirvana1989-1994
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?'
#ChaosKass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Absolutely not. People should be able to say whatever they like without the fear of being attacked by those on the liberal left.
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mnemosyne.)
Should there be limits on freedom of speech in any circumstances, in your opinion?
There's no freedom of speech if there are limits. The two things are mutually exclusive.
Nuba123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Freedom of speech doesn't exist, the concept is not achievable.

Think about it.
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nuba123)
Freedom of speech doesn't exist, the concept is not achievable.

Think about it.
That's not true, you're assuming say that there can be restrictions to what people can say - it's very for a government to not have restrictions. But you're right in the sense that no one can claim there is freedom of speech if there are restrictions.
Nuba123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
That's not true, you're assuming say that there can be restrictions to what people can say - it's very for a government to not have restrictions. But you're right in the sense that no one can claim there is freedom of speech if there are restrictions.
True, things like racism, sexism, etc are punishable offences, So you are free to say something racist but there will be consequences. No one can stop you from thinking or saying something offensive but the consequences might
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by #ChaosKass)
Absolutely not. People should be able to say whatever they like without the fear of being attacked by those on the liberal left.
So you think people should be able to:

a) threaten to kill someone?
b) shout "fire"" in a crowded theatre as a joke?
c) ruin the livelihood of others by slandering or libelling them?
d) make false accusations of, say, rape to the police about someone?
e) lie when appearing as a witness at a trial?
f) mislead the police?
g) cheat money out of little old ladies by lying to them?
h) incite someone to murder or violent conduct?
i) make false advertising claims in order to sell goods?

You are happy that there should be no repercussions for these types of "freedom of speech"?

Here's a clue: none of these is devoid of repercussions in nearly every civilised country in the world, including both USA and UK. Perhaps you should think things through more carefully before you post.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As long as

- No lying on legal documents or question I.E police questioning.
- It does not directly incite violence I.E "Lets murder all white people" But I think there has to be a lot of common sense with this.
- Cause a mass disturbance by virtue of what you said. Shouting Allahu Akbar in a airport, not saying That trump is a good leader and people freaking out.
- It does not break other laws.

Although deciding exactly what is wrong is very difficult, no doubt there will be flaws and contradictions as it involves a lot of common sense.
as Freedom of speech is a very hard topic to exactly pinpoint what is freedom of speech and what is against the law
BasicMistake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
As long as

- No lying on legal documents or question I.E police questioning.
- It does not directly incite violence I.E "Lets murder all white people" But I think there has to be a lot of common sense with this.
- Cause a mass disturbance by virtue of what you said. Shouting Allahu Akbar in a airport, not saying That trump is a good leader and people freaking out.
- It does not break other laws.

Although deciding exactly what is wrong is very difficult, no doubt there will be flaws and contradictions as it involves a lot of common sense.
as Freedom of speech is a very hard topic to exactly pinpoint what is freedom of speech and what is against the law
PRSOM

You can't use freedom of speech as an excuse if you break other laws.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The right of free speech only ends where other peoples' rights begin. So things like threats, inciting violence, libel/slander, etc are of course not acceptable. Things like that (there are other examples; see goodbloke's post) are the only limits there should be.

(Original post by #ChaosKass)
People should be able to say whatever they like without the fear of being attacked by those on the liberal left.
I've seen right wing people in UKIP get annoyed when UKIP is the victim of satire. So don't even try to pretend this stuff is exclusive to the "liberal left".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%