Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Slightly frivolous post, I suppose, but I am slightly bored at the moment. I was just wondering, do all colleges traditionally have a big rival? are there colleges that traditionally hate each etc. (even if just for fun, if you know what I mean). If so, what are the pairings?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Balliol and Trinity
    Jesus and Exeter
    Oriel and Pembroke

ReputationRep:
    An account of the infamous Turl Street riots here:

http://www.oxfordstudent.com/1999-04-22/features/2

Other rivalry stories:

http://www.oxfordstudent.com/2002-02-07/news/12
    http://www.oxfordstudent.com/2003-11-27/news/15

(And no, I don't write for the OX Stu - I just googled it )

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Queens and Teddy Hall.

ReputationRep:
    Do the colleges not mentioned here tend to have other colleges with which they have incredibly non-serious and comical rivalries, or do they mostly just not care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Do the colleges not mentioned here tend to have other colleges with which they have incredibly non-serious and comical rivalries, or do they mostly just not care?
    You get the occasional war cabinet being formed now and again, but most college are fairly friendly and only go in for the soft stuff, stealing flags, ect. I think Queen's and Brasenose had a bit of a go a few months back, but it was all very comical.

Balliol/Trinity is probable the most serious one, still going after 400 years. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit harsh about ChCh!!

Christ Church and Pembroke - the year before I started they let a goat loose in Tom Quad and the JCR pres had to catch it. I think they also painted pink 'P's on some of the cows in the meadow.

There was also the Northern Alliance waging war on the southern colleges in 1997 or 1998 I think. I remember Magd's JCR pres getting chained up to the railings or something similar... it'll all be in OxStu or Cherwell archives. There was a war council set up, I think, and I remember getting heckled in the street when a pal was wearing his ChCh scarf.

ReputationRep:
    Magdalen & every rowing college but 1 (by proxy) v. Oriel

3rd day of Summer 8s this year..

we had a JCR motion passed to buy a decommissioned tank & place it in our quad, but think college veto-d it..humph.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.