Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I really would like to go to Cambridge university, but I don't know if I have a chance of getting in because I didn't really get the grades I wanted at gcse, I've passed everything tho, most of my grades were Bs and Cs and one A in English lit. Oh yeah and I want to study medicine in Cambridge. I've had a look on their website and their entry requirements and it says they're looking for A*A*A in A-Levels, which I'm working on now and for gcse they're looking for grade C or above and double awards science, which I have but idk know if I would still be able to get in because what if they're actually looking for someone who actually got like 9A* in their GCSE ?!
    I've talked to a teacher telling her that I would like to go into medicine and she said that's it very tough and her daughter went to study medicine in uni and she had to get like 7A*?! And the university she went to wasn't even a top ranked university like Cambridge is.
    So basically do I have a chance of getting into Cambridge with B in core science and additional science, B in Maths and C in English language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saenna1999)
    So I really would like to go to Cambridge university, but I don't know if I have a chance of getting in because I didn't really get the grades I wanted at gcse, I've passed everything tho, most of my grades were Bs and Cs and one A in English lit. Oh yeah and I want to study medicine in Cambridge. I've had a look on their website and their entry requirements and it says they're looking for A*A*A in A-Levels, which I'm working on now and for gcse they're looking for grade C or above and double awards science, which I have but idk know if I would still be able to get in because what if they're actually looking for someone who actually got like 9A* in their GCSE ?!
    I've talked to a teacher telling her that I would like to go into medicine and she said that's it very tough and her daughter went to study medicine in uni and she had to get like 7A*?! And the university she went to wasn't even a top ranked university like Cambridge is.
    So basically do I have a chance of getting into Cambridge with B in core science and additional science, B in Maths and C in English language?
    Cambridge are AS heavy. Focus on your maths and other AS subjects and try to get 95+ UMS. As long as your GCSEs meet the minimum you should be fine otherwise.

All universities are different and require different things - that doesn't mean all universities will want them. So don't be disheartened.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge's official GCSE requirements are pretty low. But bear in mind you will be competing against lots of people with lots of A*s at GCSE, so your AS/A-level performance and BMAT would have to be pretty stellar for you to be in with a realistic chance. Medicine admissions are a bit quirky in that some universities rank certain aspects like GCSEs much more highly than others, and rankings really don't matter at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saenna1999)
    Not being rude, but try searching TSR for 'Cambridge University GCSE' - you'll find there's literally thousands of results and your question will be answered there, numerous times.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.