The Student Room Group

wedding presents for white people?

hi,

what do white people normally give fellow white people getting married. I am an indian and my parents usually give practical cooking stuff as wedding presents but i'm afraid because of cultural differences this would not be an appropriate gift for a white friend who is getting married,

many thanks

rock

Also is there a separate gift for the groom and bride or one?:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
rockclimber
hi,

what do white people normally give fellow white people getting married. I am an indian and my parents usually give practical cooking stuff as wedding presents but i'm afraid because of cultural differences this would not be an appropriate gift for a white friend who is getting married,

many thanks

rock

Cooking stuff is pretty common actually, or general practical things, I guess because traditionally they then get a house together :p: There's just one present for the both of them together. I've heard of blenders, saucepan sets, china sets, cutlery, glasses, all sorts :p: I'm sure they'll appreciate the thought whatever you get them.
Reply 2
bunthulhu
Cooking stuff is pretty common actually, or general practical things, I guess because traditionally they then get a house together :p: There's one present for the both of them. I've heard of blenders, saucepan sets, china sets, cutlery, glasses, all sorts :p: I'm sure they'll appreciate the thought whatever you get them

oh good - there isn't a cultural difference then - thats what my parents usually give
Reply 3
rockclimber
hi,

many thanks

rock

We generally prefer veils, spices and cows as wedding presents...
Reply 4
rockclimber
oh good - there isn't a cultural difference then - thats what my parents usually give

Makes it nice and easy then! ;yes;
Reply 5
racist!!!! :smile:
Reply 6
Fake tan
Reply 7
rockclimber
hi,

many thanks

rock

Havent they done a list? If so you can pick something off there

Or do the safe option and get a gift voucher
Reply 8
thisbemadness
Havent they done a list? If so you can pick something off there

Or do the safe option and get a gift voucher

interesting option - gift voucher for what? (place i mean)
P.S. and i'm not racist:eek: - just somewhat ignorant
Reply 9
rockclimber
interesting option - gift voucher for what? (place i mean)
P.S. and i'm not racist:eek: - just somewhat ignorant

Anywhere really, department stores are better as they will have more choice as to what to buy, places like Debenhams, Argos, John Lewis etc.
Reply 10
My parent had a friend who got married and ASKED for gift vouchers from places like argos and john lewis, so that they could chose practical gifts...

They were very rude tho and said that anything OVER £50 'would do'... lol:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Made us all chuckle!
Sounds like there aren't many cultural differences between wedding gifts OP, which I guess is lucky for you! but serioualy, anything that has had thought put into it should be fine! :biggrin:
Have fun at the wedding! xxx
KKK outfits, Nazi memorabilia, things of that sort I would assume.
Us crazy white folk.
Indeed
Toaster.
Slaves.
I find the term "white people" to be extremely racist.
Please refer to my kind as "ones with fair coverings" :smile:
Reply 17
NW8_SW1_EC3
KKK outfits, Nazi memorabilia, things of that sort I would assume.

yeh and some fake tan for the blushing bride.
LOL at the white people pretending to be ZOMG offended.

Like, shut up.
Reply 19
Well he is assuming that all white people are Christian...

Jewish people are generally white but celebrate weddings very differently to a Christian person.

If a white person was this ignorant then it would be deemed racist. The double standards in this country and worldwide are great.

A better title would have been, What are good wedding presents for Christian/Jewish/etc wedding. Rather than assuming all white people are of the same religion and culture which is quite obviously, wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending