Turn on thread page Beta

wedding presents for white people? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi,

what do white people normally give fellow white people getting married. I am an indian and my parents usually give practical cooking stuff as wedding presents but i'm afraid because of cultural differences this would not be an appropriate gift for a white friend who is getting married,

many thanks

rock

Also is there a separate gift for the groom and bride or one?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockclimber)
    hi,

what do white people normally give fellow white people getting married. I am an indian and my parents usually give practical cooking stuff as wedding presents but i'm afraid because of cultural differences this would not be an appropriate gift for a white friend who is getting married,

many thanks

rock

Cooking stuff is pretty common actually, or general practical things, I guess because traditionally they then get a house together :p: There's just one present for the both of them together. I've heard of blenders, saucepan sets, china sets, cutlery, glasses, all sorts :p: I'm sure they'll appreciate the thought whatever you get them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunthulhu)
    Cooking stuff is pretty common actually, or general practical things, I guess because traditionally they then get a house together :p: There's one present for the both of them. I've heard of blenders, saucepan sets, china sets, cutlery, glasses, all sorts :p: I'm sure they'll appreciate the thought whatever you get them
    oh good - there isn't a cultural difference then - thats what my parents usually give

ReputationRep:
    hi,

many thanks

rock

We generally prefer veils, spices and cows as wedding presents...

ReputationRep:
    oh good - there isn't a cultural difference then - thats what my parents usually give
    Makes it nice and easy then! ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    racist!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Fake tan

ReputationRep:
    hi,

many thanks

rock

Havent they done a list? If so you can pick something off there

Or do the safe option and get a gift voucher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisbemadness)
    Havent they done a list? If so you can pick something off there

Or do the safe option and get a gift voucher
    interesting option - gift voucher for what? (place i mean)
    P.S. and i'm not racist:eek: - just somewhat ignorant

ReputationRep:
    interesting option - gift voucher for what? (place i mean)
    P.S. and i'm not racist:eek: - just somewhat ignorant
    Anywhere really, department stores are better as they will have more choice as to what to buy, places like Debenhams, Argos, John Lewis etc.

ReputationRep:
    My parent had a friend who got married and ASKED for gift vouchers from places like argos and john lewis, so that they could chose practical gifts...

They were very rude tho and said that anything OVER £50 'would do'... lol
    Made us all chuckle!
    Sounds like there aren't many cultural differences between wedding gifts OP, which I guess is lucky for you! but serioualy, anything that has had thought put into it should be fine!
    Have fun at the wedding! xxx

ReputationRep:
    KKK outfits, Nazi memorabilia, things of that sort I would assume.

ReputationRep:
    Us crazy white folk.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed

Toaster.

ReputationRep:
    Slaves.

ReputationRep:
    I find the term "white people" to be extremely racist.
    Please refer to my kind as "ones with fair coverings"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    KKK outfits, Nazi memorabilia, things of that sort I would assume.

yeh and some fake tan for the blushing bride.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the white people pretending to be ZOMG offended.

Like, shut up.

ReputationRep:
    Well he is assuming that all white people are Christian...

Jewish people are generally white but celebrate weddings very differently to a Christian person.

If a white person was this ignorant then it would be deemed racist. The double standards in this country and worldwide are great.

A better title would have been, What are good wedding presents for Christian/Jewish/etc wedding. Rather than assuming all white people are of the same religion and culture which is quite obviously, wrong.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.