Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in my final year and unfortunately, while it has been on and off for the past few years, I'm falling back in to depression. I can't focus on a thing, feel worthless and very isolated. I know I need extensions on an essay coming up but I'm hesitant to request it. I've gotten so many extensions the last few years and I feel bad for it and I hate feeling vulnerable. Also, do I need to go to the GP? I've been on anti depressants before, but I'm really wary about getting back on them. I'm trying to tackle it at the moment by going to the gym every day but that is no longer doing much for me. Please help, thank you
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in my final year and unfortunately, while it has been on and off for the past few years, I'm falling back in to depression. I can't focus on a thing, feel worthless and very isolated. I know I need extensions on an essay coming up but I'm hesitant to request it. I've gotten so many extensions the last few years and I feel bad for it and I hate feeling vulnerable. Also, do I need to go to the GP? I've been on anti depressants before, but I'm really wary about getting back on them. I'm trying to tackle it at the moment by going to the gym every day but that is no longer doing much for me. Please help, thank you
    As you have done it before, then you should be familiar with the procedure.

Get the form and fill it out.

Talk to a welfare adviser/ counselor in the SU.
    You must go to your GP and get a note if you are claiming depression.
    They need to know an independent medical professional confirms the diagnosis and it helps them to know you are dealing with it.

The GP doesnt have to put you on tablets. You can be referred for counseling instead or in addition.

If you want the extension, then you need to follow their procedure. Its your choice about whether you want it badly enough.

The alternative is not to take it seriously or do anything about it and deal with the consequences that way. I know which one I would do.

ReputationRep:
    You've identified that you are falling into depression and, even if its only by posting here, you have recognised that you need a bit of extra help. That's an important start.

Do you think that trying to tough it out without seeing your GP and without requesting an extension will mean that the depression will go away? Or is it more likely that you'll feel more pressure and unhappiness?

Like 999tigger suggests, I'd recommend seeing a welfare or support worker or GP sooner rather than later. It doesn't mean that you lose control of the process - it just means that you have more options and - hopefully - a couple of people on your side.

Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.