Turn on thread page Beta

I'm going out him and his family for a birthday meal next week and I'm so nervous!

I'm met and spoken to them all before but I'm just worried that I won't be able to make good continuous conversation with them if you know what I mean and then it'll be awkward?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you had any previous problems with making good continuous conversation?

(Original post by Gavin2016)
    Have you had any previous problems with making good continuous conversation?
    Not so far. When we've been hanging out watching TV it's been alright. I'm just worried since when we'll be out there won't be something to watch to give us something to talk to about.

ReputationRep:
    Eat your boyfriend #Moooose

ReputationRep:
    ask about the family, show interest in them

(Original post by OvergrownMoose)
    Eat your boyfriend #Moooose
    😂😂

(Original post by rayestar)
    ask about the family, show interest in them
    Good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not so far. When we've been hanging out watching TV it's been alright. I'm just worried since when we'll be out there won't be something to watch to give us something to talk to about.
    Well, people often make small talk over any minor thing, so say you are walking or driving along and see something then comment on it. Chances are if your worried about making conversation then you have a problem doing so.

Personally in the main I would follow their lead, let them lead the conversation mainly as they know one another then fill in where appropriate and when asked stuff. If your not very socially skilled, like myself then I find it best to mainly leave it up to those that are. They will enjoy leading the conversation and you not having to put in loads of input. If you try to lead it could be quickly exhausting for you and frustration for them, you don't want to get exhausted and end up sitting around in silence. In the restaurant, if you go again talk about the decoration or the food or anything that might be out of the ordinary going on.

Also, remember to monitor the conversation that is happening and match its pitch. For example, don't bring up really intellectual stuff if they don't seem that type, keep the conversation basic, if they like intellectual conversation then your probably away, but don't go overboard and get real heavily intellectual without realizing it.

Luckily for you your a girl so you'll stand out less if you are a bit quiet, but try to say something. Girls are kind of expected to be a little more quiet but being that way as a guy is a real problem

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.