Water to acid or acid to water? Watch

username2742645
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
#1
So I've read it's always better to add acid to water as the solution will be diluted but if that's true then why are we told to wash our hands with water if we spill acid on them?
0
reply
Lonesome_Penguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#2
Report 2 years ago
#2
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.
The reason you're told to wash your hands with water if you spill acid on them is so the acid is diluted and washed off so that it doesn't burn or damage your skin.
0
reply
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
#3
Report 2 years ago
#3
If you spilt conc sulfuric on your hands, you shouldn't splash a bit of water on them, instead sodium hydrogen carbonate should be used.

If I didn't have any bicarb, I'd probably go for the water option, though.
0
reply
username2742645
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#4
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
#4
According to this post online:

'A large amount of heat is released when strong acids are mixed with water. Adding more acid releases more heat. If you add water to acid, you form an extremely concentrated solution of acid initially. So much heat is released that the solution may boil very violently, splashing concentrated acid out of the container! If you add acid to water, the solution that forms is very dilute and the small amount of heat released is not enough to vaporize and spatter it. So*Always Add Acid*to water, and never the reverse.

Author:*Fred Senese*[email protected] edu '

I took this to mean, adding water to acid is bad and may cause a violent reaction, whereas adding acid to water is relatively safe as the resulting solution is diluted.

If this is so, and if I spilt acid on my hand by accident, adding water to it (which would be a natural first response) would be adding water to acid, which is the violent reaction and would probably be dangerous? Yet this is what we're told to do in our A-level practical health and safety sheets so like what is going on
0
reply
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#5
Report 2 years ago
#5
(Original post by heartypirate)
According to this post online:

'A large amount of heat is released when strong acids are mixed with water. Adding more acid releases more heat. If you add water to acid, you form an extremely concentrated solution of acid initially. So much heat is released that the solution may boil very violently, splashing concentrated acid out of the container! If you add acid to water, the solution that forms is very dilute and the small amount of heat released is not enough to vaporize and spatter it. So*Always Add Acid*to water, and never the reverse.

Author:*Fred Senese*[email protected] edu '

I took this to mean, adding water to acid is bad and may cause a violent reaction, whereas adding acid to water is relatively safe as the resulting solution is diluted.

If this is so, and if I spilt acid on my hand by accident, adding water to it (which would be a natural first response) would be adding water to acid, which is the violent reaction and would probably be dangerous? Yet this is what we're told to do in our A-level practical health and safety sheets so like what is going on
The acid you'll be working with won't be anywhere near as concentrated as it would need to be to cause that sort of violent reaction. I think what you read is mostly for people like the technicians who will be setting up your lab, diluting a highly concentrated acid stock solution to make the solutions you'll be using.
0
reply
username2742645
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#6
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
#6
Ah ok thanks
0
reply
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
#7
Report 2 years ago
#7
(Original post by heartypirate)
According to this post online:

'A large amount of heat is released when strong acids are mixed with water. Adding more acid releases more heat. If you add water to acid, you form an extremely concentrated solution of acid initially. So much heat is released that the solution may boil very violently, splashing concentrated acid out of the container! If you add acid to water, the solution that forms is very dilute and the small amount of heat released is not enough to vaporize and spatter it. So*Always Add Acid*to water, and never the reverse.

Author:*Fred Senese*[email protected] edu '

I took this to mean, adding water to acid is bad and may cause a violent reaction, whereas adding acid to water is relatively safe as the resulting solution is diluted.

If this is so, and if I spilt acid on my hand by accident, adding water to it (which would be a natural first response) would be adding water to acid, which is the violent reaction and would probably be dangerous? Yet this is what we're told to do in our A-level practical health and safety sheets so like what is going on
If you put your hands with acid on them into a stream of water from a tap (the most likely scenario) then you ARE adding acid to water ...

... so what's the problem?
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts

All the exam results help you need

2,399

people online now

225,530

students helped last year

University open days

  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%
Putting on a brave face (223)
13.69%
Impatient (207)
12.71%

Watched Threads

View All