Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently doing MEng course in Automotive Engineering and it seems that I am completely lost and not going to get good marks by the end of MEng course, however I have 1st for my BEng course. The question is which qualification will be more favorable in terms of employment: strong BEng or 2:2-2:1 MEng?

Regards
    Alex
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Recont)
    Hi,

I am currently doing MEng course in Automotive Engineering and it seems that I am completely lost and not going to get good marks by the end of MEng course, however I have 1st for my BEng course. The question is which qualification will be more favorable in terms of employment: strong BEng or 2:2-2:1 MEng?

Regards
    Alex
    A 2:2 generally closes some doors, and an MEng is generally preferable to a BEng. Degrees aren't necessarily the be-all end-all of employment, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    A 2:2 generally closes some doors, and an MEng is generally preferable to a BEng. Degrees aren't necessarily the be-all end-all of employment, though.
    I know that grades are not everything when looking for a job but if you have nothing else except grades...

ReputationRep:
    I know that grades are not everything when looking for a job but if you have nothing else except grades...
    Then why do you have nothing else except grades? You should have been applying for part-time jobs, internships, and voluntary positions from the moment you arrived at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Then why do you have nothing else except grades? You should have been applying for part-time jobs, internships, and voluntary positions from the moment you arrived at university.
    I don't think that delivery driver position in a restaurant has something to do with engineering. Had a job in engineering company during summer but there was very little to do with engineering to be honest... Applied for placement year in past but had only 2 invitations for an interview out of about 12-15 applications.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd rather have an MEng, as long as it's at 2:1/Merit or above, because it won't close any doors (some companies have a minimum of an MEng or equivalent).

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Regards
    Alex
    If you're very close to completing the MEng do it even if you get a 2.2 (and its still accredited ) you'll be okay (I say this because it will still give you the option to work towards chartership). Of course ideally you want a 2.1 or higher but a 2.2 MEng won't close that many doors compared to a 2.2 BEng for example.

Siemens, Jaguar, Ford for example are still within reach.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively if you hate the course and dont really want a career in engineering leave with your BEng 1st class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    If you're very close to completing the MEng do it even if you get a 2.2 (and its still accredited ) you'll be okay (I say this because it will still give you the option to work towards chartership). Of course ideally you want a 2.1 or higher but a 2.2 MEng won't close that many doors compared to a 2.2 BEng for example.

Siemens, Jaguar, Ford for example are still within reach.
    Jaguar/Land Rover accepting 2:2 BEng. It would be really stupid to quit engineering because the only alternative is **** job where you get peanuts and treated like slave.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.