Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've just had my boyfriend on the phone, hysterical because he hates his job.
    basically, he's 27, never went to college, and has been doing the same job in dental prosthetics since he left high school. he works long hours, sometimes from 7am until 7pm, and last week he had to go in on sunday night and work all through the night due to there being so much work to complete. he's on £12k a year, and doesn't get paid any overtime. i think his normal working hours are meant to be 8am until 5pm. he's one of the longest serving members of this particular dental lab, but he doesn't get any respect, and people often take advantage of him, due to him being such a nice guy. he doesn't drive either.. i don't know whether that will now be a problem. he's very skilled at what he does, but i think he is only staying there due to the people he works with, and the fact that he likes to play with fire and wax.. !

he's asking me for help, but i don't know where to start in offering advice. he wants out, that's all i know. he's not happy with his wage, but i don't know what else he can do. he's really into music, but i don't think he would want to work anywhere like HMV or Virgin. he's really into guitars too.

i'm really at a loss. can anyone help me or has anyone been in the same situation?

ReputationRep:
    can no one offer me any words of advice? ergh.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair he's probably classed as unskilled or semi skilled manual labour - If he had a driving license then maybe he could do sales, for example in dental stuff as he has the experience. if he can, I would suggest getting a qualification in something just to improve his CV, and his 'key skills' Im sure he could get more than £12k in retail, especially if he is a good salesman.

ReputationRep:
    12k a year... you could get that just working a store on the highstreet. Why doesnt he just quit and go get any random job, at least there will be some kind of progression.

ReputationRep:
    Does he have GCSE's? A Levels?

Lots of places offer training to those with just GCSE's and maybe A Levels. Places like high street banks etc.

Has he applied for any jobs recently? Tell him to have a look, see what is on offer in his area etc. Check out jobcentreplus.gov.uk, monster.co.uk and other sites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janice)
    Can't he have a word with his boss about the pay? Is there anywhere else he could work that would pay him better for the same job that he's doing? What other qualifications does he have?

apparently the company he is working for isn't making even.. they are down by £3000 a month, so the boss doesn't have the money to pay him extra.
    he's tried other places, but he hasn't liked it. i'm not sure why.
    i asked him about his other qualifications. he has an A grade GCSE in art, and the other 8 GCSE's he has are all below a C grade. ergh.

(Original post by Elipsis)
    With that kind of dedication surely he could do the same job but somewhere else and get paid more? Is it the job he dislikes or the way hes being treated?
    again, he's tried it. i think he enjoys the job, he just doesn't like the crap pay or the way he is given no respect. he's told me that he stays more for the people he works with than anything. all his friends work there. also, his job description is 'assistant manager' but he doesn't get a say in anything..

(Original post by randomgirl)
    Has he applied for any jobs recently? Tell him to have a look, see what is on offer in his area etc. Check out jobcentreplus.gov.uk, monster.co.uk and other sites.
    he's only just decided that he's had enough. he's never even written a CV before now, as this job was given to him by a family friend (ie the boss).

he's really an intelligent guy, this is the thing. he plays the guitar like no one i've ever seen. he just doesn't have any of the qualifications to prove it. he's also quite a quiet guy, very reserved. i don't think he would do well in sales or anything where he has to meet new people all the time.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, he said that. he could do that really well, but he seems to think you need to have grades... and don't you need a license too, or need to be registered? £10 per hours lesson... not bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    i've just had my boyfriend on the phone, hysterical because he hates his job.
    basically, he's 27, never went to college, and has been doing the same job in dental prosthetics since he left high school. he works long hours, sometimes from 7am until 7pm, and last week he had to go in on sunday night and work all through the night due to there being so much work to complete. he's on £12k a year, and doesn't get paid any overtime. i think his normal working hours are meant to be 8am until 5pm. he's one of the longest serving members of this particular dental lab, but he doesn't get any respect, and people often take advantage of him, due to him being such a nice guy. he doesn't drive either.. i don't know whether that will now be a problem. he's very skilled at what he does, but i think he is only staying there due to the people he works with, and the fact that he likes to play with fire and wax.. !

he's asking me for help, but i don't know where to start in offering advice. he wants out, that's all i know. he's not happy with his wage, but i don't know what else he can do. he's really into music, but i don't think he would want to work anywhere like HMV or Virgin. he's really into guitars too.

i'm really at a loss. can anyone help me or has anyone been in the same situation?
    I know a guy exactly like him. If I were in your BF's position I would have a look at night college or the open university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneupthebumdonttellmum)
    I know a guy exactly like him. If I were in your BF's position I would have a look at night college or the open university.
    Sound advise. Back to school for him. And a driving licence would hurt either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janice)
    If you teach informally then I don't think you need anything.. Maybe he should research into it a bit. Does he play a particular style of guitar? Electric guitar tuition is in high demand these days.

he plays electric guitar, accoustic guitar.. all sorts. lots of different styles too. i had a look yesterday and it doesn't say anything about being qualified to be able to teach privately.

and yes i know he needs to learn to drive.. stop saying it.... lol!

ReputationRep:
    Learn to drive....because if he becomes a guitar tutor then he will need it obviously.

If he is REALLY that good at guitar (and not just better than anyone you have seen!) then he could possibly be a really good tutor (though a player doesn't necessarily make a good teacher).

Oh, and the good news is guitar tutors around here don't charge £10 an hour - its more like £15-25 - or more like £20+. As a newbie he will probably have to start cheap tho.

On top of that I suggest he does some education in evenings as a backup - being a tutor is very flexible.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help everyone.

bornfishy... i think he might like a bit of music retail. i'll certainly recommend that to him, and i'm going to get him to start driving soon too..

ReputationRep:
    Wow 12k at 27, that's very bad.

Have a look in the paper/job centre for jobs that give training or allow part time study while you work. Apprenticeships usually last a couple years but you earn as you learn so to speak. There are plenty of oppurtunities out there.

Maybe even have a look at the police force and other services, they start at about 20k and you don't even require GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    hes let his life slip away hasnt he, why? I dont see why anybody would let themselves go to waste like this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboy123)
    hes let his life slip away hasnt he, why? I dont see why anybody would let themselves go to waste like this...
    how do you know he doesnt have an amazing life outside of work?

ReputationRep:
    He cant drive and hes 27 going out with an 18 year old - its not like hes going on lots of exotic holidays or traveling considering the wage hes on and the hours he has. Maybe he has lots of friends i dont no, but still there is no reason to waste yourself like this. Im not having a dig at him i just feel sorry for him.

ReputationRep:
    When did not being able to drive become a majorly bad this?

9 year age gap - so what - we dont know the particulars of the relationship.

Poor job - yep - but that doesnt mean he cant be happy outside of it.

I'll pull out the old line - laods of money doesnt = hapiness. But yea the job is obviously somehtign he needs to work on and i agree he shoulda seen this ocming beforehand and done somehting about it.

ReputationRep:
    lol, why would u care if they are going out with age different?
    alot of people have worse jobs so its not the end of the world for the poor old lad, but if i was u i would ask him to seriously consider what he wants in life and what he whats to do, becuase hes 27 already, and these days u do need quilfications, so its never to late to go back to education, if he doesnt no what job he wants to do then just do 3 a levels, subjects that he like or are interesed in. that would be a good start and gives him variaty in jobs he could do later in life.

ReputationRep:
    what the hell?! i come on here asking for advice and all you can do is moan about him? you don't even know him!
    so what, yes he is 9 years older than me but it works for us. he's not desperate. it works for us and that's not for you to judge, thanks.
    and since when has not being able to drive been pathetic? i know a few 27 / 30 year olds who don't drive, and they get on a bike to come to work. he's never needed to be able to drive because he lives so close to work. it's easier for him to get on one bus to work, than drive 5 minutes round the corner.
    ONE of my friends has a boyfriend who can drive. one. not all, one.
    mayavara, i am not taking your advice cheers. i'd say you sound a big jealous if anything. lonely are you?

i came on here for advice. if all you can do is put down my boyfriend then i don't want any help, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    oh right ok, so to be happy you have to be with someone with lots of money, who has a career and has to be within a 2 year age difference? go to hell. you might want that, but i don't. i've met someone who makes me feel special and looks after me. i don't care that he has poor career prospects and is a little bit older than me. i'm trying to help him out by getting him a better job. he's looking too. it's not as though he's stupid. he's just hasn't had any reason before to get a better job. now he has reasons, he'll do it.
    he's not stupid, he's not a sap. he's just gotten comfy in his job. he's tried leaving before to go to other dental labs, but has only come back because he likes the people he works with. they've now turned out to be back stabbers and he wants to leave.

i came on here for help. most people have offered good advice. i do not need anyone telling me that i shouldn't be with him because he's stupid/has no career/doesn't earn what is deemed acceptable/is older than me. i'm happy with him. i don't care that we have no financial stability at the moment. he's not wasting his life. at least he's doing something about it now before it's too late. yeah i know he's 27 and not 20, but he still has time to change things.
    he isn't a loser either. i think you lot are losers for having to point out his problems. he's such a nice guy, and he's really smart. he just got into the wrong business when he left school.
    if you would kindly stop jumping to snap judgments about me and my boyfriend, as you have never met either of us, and obviously aren't mature enough to understand why we are together and why we work out, despite the age difference/money issues.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.