Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    oh right ok, so to be happy you have to be with someone with lots of money, who has a career and has to be within a 2 year age difference? go to hell. you might want that, but i don't. i've met someone who makes me feel special and looks after me.
    But he is around your tenth boyfriend.
    And the previous ones have all lasted just a few months.
    In a few months, you will have dropped him too !!!!:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    what the hell?! i come on here asking for advice and all you can do is moan about him? you don't even know him!
    so what, yes he is 9 years older than me but it works for us. he's not desperate. it works for us and that's not for you to judge, thanks.
    and since when has not being able to drive been pathetic? i know a few 27 / 30 year olds who don't drive, and they get on a bike to come to work. he's never needed to be able to drive because he lives so close to work. it's easier for him to get on one bus to work, than drive 5 minutes round the corner.
    ONE of my friends has a boyfriend who can drive. one. not all, one.
    mayavara, i am not taking your advice cheers. i'd say you sound a big jealous if anything. lonely are you?

i came on here for advice. if all you can do is put down my boyfriend then i don't want any help, cheers.
    Hmmm, Im 100% sure I replied to this thread but my post for some reason has been deleted? :confused:

OP- how are things now, has your boyfriend managed to find anything he would like to do, any luck at all?

If he has experience in lab work has he looked at the possibility of working for the NHS? They pay £14-17k for a medical lab assistant job, might be worth looking into? Plus I believe there are loads of opportunities for training, development, career progression etc. I know it would be the same job but at least the salary is better and he would be in a better position to be able to progress to something else?

ReputationRep:
    i think the mods deleted all the nasty comments thankfully, and maybe some of yours by accident.

he's not my tenth boyfriend you fool. i've had one other serious relationship which lasted 2 years. my current boyfriend is different. i'm moving in with him in a few weeks.

he's applied for a few jobs, but no one has wanted to interview him yet. i've never thoguht of a lab assistant. i think he'd quite like that. i'll suggest it. thanks guys. i'll keep you updated.

ReputationRep:
    I think he needs to get a new job asap with less hours. If he's not being paid for overtime it must work out that his wage equates to being paid below minimum wage, which is ridiculous.

There are plenty of students with office jobs in their holidays that get paid £10ph+, so maybe he should be going for something less interesting but better-paid while he gets a couple of qualifications?

I think he should study for a couple of A Levels part time/on evening courses. He's entitled to them free as well, so he could look into that. Obviously in things he's interested in progressing but also to improve his future career prospects.

How about in chemistry and biology if he's interested in being a lab assistant. That way his 10 years (?) experience can be utilised later on. It also gives him the option of going to uni or getting a degree with the open university. A couple of my teachers at school got OU degrees in their thirties/early forties and then PGCEs and became teachers. So that's always an option too.. it just depends what he wants to do.

ReputationRep:
    ^ ditto, very well said Saffie.

Pumpkin, you can ignore some of the people here like mayavara - They have been spoonfed from school college uni - IIRC he is alot into investment banking and if you know anything about them, the majority (yes I'll say it) are d***s, egoistic etc. They see everyone who has not got somthing close to their acheivement must be dumb or somthing, even though they don't even know situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    you can ignore some of the people here like mayavara - They have been spoonfed from school college uni -
    Mayavara is an investment banker and earns over 100k.
    You should listen to her.
    You might learn something useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acolyte)
    Mayavara is an investment banker and earns over 100k.
    You should listen to her.
    You might learn something useful.
    Doesn't that kinda prove my point ?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably quite easy to get into this situation so I kind of feel sorry for the guy. if you mess up school then get into a job its much harder to get back into the education loop. He is clearly being ripped off, joining the NHS is probably the best way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    Pumpkin, you can ignore some of the people here like mayavara - They have been spoonfed from school college uni - IIRC he is alot into investment banking and if you know anything about them, the majority (yes I'll say it) are d***s, egoistic etc. They see everyone who has not got somthing close to their acheivement must be dumb or somthing, even though they don't even know situation.
    It wouldn't matter if I'm an investment banker or a teacher, the bottom line is someone age 27 working ~70 hour weeks on £12k and porking a teenager is pathetic, they have failed in life, full stop.

ReputationRep:
    Professionally yes he is a failure, but do you have to be so harsh about it Mayavara? Some people don't have the ambition like you do, which i admire. I too am ambitious, but I could end up where he is, as could anyone, and we shouldn't look down on him because his situation is different to ours.

ReputationRep:
    acolyte you sound like some kind of office weasel person, woooow mayavara earns 100K that must mean everything he/she says is correct and the best advice possible.

OP your boyfriend needs to make a firm decision as to what career he wants, because time is ticking away for him and if he isn't established in a proper role soon enough things will get harder and harder for him. The guitar thing sounds like more of a hobby, to turn that into paper money wouldn't be easy.

ReputationRep:
    he loves his guitar more than anything, and he's such a good teacher. he's been teching me how to play. i mean, i know that's totally different to teaching a total stranger, but i think he could really be good at it. he's so passionate about it all.
    £10ph office jobs?! i've never come across them.. lol.

i've had a good scan through the job centre plus site. it's got pretty close to nothing. i think going back into education would be his best bet, but with a mortgage and bills to pay, that is going to be difficult.

ergh! i'm running out of ideas =(

ReputationRep:
    Try the NHS website:

www.nhscareers.nhs.uk

Might be something on there for him in your local area

ReputationRep:
    just checked. nothing on there at the moment =(

ReputationRep:
    Join the police or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayavara)
    It wouldn't matter if I'm an investment banker or a teacher, the bottom line is someone age 27 working ~70 hour weeks on £12k and porking a teenager is pathetic, they have failed in life, full stop.
    You're one of those people who likes to sneer and scoff at people who don't define themselves and their self-worth through their occupations.

ReputationRep:
    ok, who just negged me for this? Are you really that pathetic? i'm just going to sub now to find out who the hell that was.

edit: mayavara... there is no need to bloody neg rep me. what is the point in that? i don't care if you think he is pathetic, or i am pathetic, or that i can do much better. i can't. i love him. i'm moving in with him today for petes sake. i wouldn't care if he were on the dole. money does not matter. i am here for suggestions. i do not need you neg repping me for no reason. (even if, y'know, you have no repping power..)

just drop it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayavara)
    Harsh, but also wrong. You're the one who's going to 'fail' at life. You're too busy kissing asses in your little city job to actually live.

so what if you have a big salary, no one's going to like you, just rest assured anyone who gets close to you in the future will be doing so for the money.

have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Harsh, but also wrong. You're the one who's going to 'fail' at life. You're too busy kissing asses in your little city job to actually live.

so what if you have a big salary, no one's going to like you, just rest assured anyone who gets close to you in the future will be doing so for the money.

have a nice day.
    Lol, you may well be right, from the sounds of this guy. But, then again, ringing an 18 year old-essentially, a child-'hysterical' about your lack of prospects when you're 27 seems pretty damn creepy, to me. Very emotionally immature, or slightly retarded. I would worry slightly for the OP and her situation, never mind her boyfriend...

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, i'll drop my ten pence worth in. Im 27 too left school with no qualification and never went to college of uni, not due to bad parenting, schooling or any other reason other than the fact i was a little fekker and knew what was best.

anyway, ive been running my own plasterng business for 5 years and i have recently decided on gaining some proffesional qualifications to better myself.

i have found the best way in, or so it seems from websites is via an access course which is generally a yr and then this allows you onto alot of degree courses.

there part time studying so can still be done alongside a job, then he could get a student loan and he's off to uni.

i am planning on either trying to get in off the back of my construction experience, if not do an access course and then foundation degree. whilst working and then into a ba hons degree. so looking at 3 years but will be worth it.

if not, fireman, policeman, or get him down to brighton and i'll teach him to plasterer. £££££££

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.