• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Steak - some people like it well done, some people like it bloody. People who like it rare think well done lovers are missing out on taste, and people who like it well done (me!) think rare lovers are borderline vampires

Where do you stand?

ReputationRep:
    In the middle; I'm too used to eating steak well done because I like the toughness and the caremelisation/ burnts. Having it rare is like a new taste for me even if the steak is juicy as hell. I probably go for a medium rare for the firmness that the rare steak doesn't have.

ReputationRep:
    I like mine medium rare my partner always has his blue. I tried it once and didn't like it like that.

Rare because it's just juicier idk :lol:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Medium or medium well

ReputationRep:
    Medium. Best of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Steak - some people like it well done, some people like it bloody. People who like it rare think well done lovers are missing out on taste, and people who like it well done (me!) think rare lovers are borderline vampires

Where do you stand?
    Food poisoning vs. actual Food?

ReputationRep:
    Rare - I do not understand people who pay £30 for a piece of prime fillet and then burn it to a crisp.

ReputationRep:
    I get sick when seeing that blood colour, I like mine well done

ReputationRep:
    Medium rare or medium for me.

ReputationRep:
    The only way is rare

It's not blood btw

ReputationRep:
    Prefer Medium rare or medium. No more than that though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose either medium or medium-rare, depending on the place.

However, if I had the choice of either rare or well-done (i.e nothing in between) then it'd have to be well done. Don't like any meat (particularly steak) too rare!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Well done. Or incinerated as someone once put it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on the cut.

Certain steaks should be cooked slightly more than others. It's not really a one fits all question.

I prefer it on the rare end personally, but rare isn't appropriate for all steaks.

ReputationRep:
    I like my steak rare-to-blue. I'm not the sort of snobby steak eater that thinks anything beyond rare belongs in the garbage, but once you reach medium-well you are pretty much meeting the dictionary definition of overcooked. I can appreciate that rare is a texture that some will not enjoy, but the flavour is all still there. When you're cooking it beyond medium, you're cooking out too much moisture and moisture is where the flavour is (that and fat), as well as toughening it up as the meat fibres constrict further as more moisture is cooked out of it.

Seriously people, start cooking your steaks medium-rare at very least. Grab yourself a meat probe for less than £2 on Amazon and google for the internal temperatures of steaks at different cooking levels. Your steak will not have the texture of rare and will be warm throughout, while also remaining tender and juicy. For those of you who don't like steaks cooked pinker than you're used to because of blood, it's not blood as mentioned above. Still, if you'd rather your steak didn't have the appearance of bleeding, rest your steak. Seriously, people do not do this enough even if you cook it further. After taking it out of the pan leave the steak on a warmed plate for at least as much time as you spent cooking it. It lets the meat fibres relax and reabsorbs the moisture that escapes during cooking. The result is a juicier steak and more tender texture.

(Original post by Maths is Life)
    Food poisoning vs. actual Food?
    Hey, I know well done steak is bad but it's not going to kill you!

But seriously, you can't get food poisoning off of rare beef unless there's a problem with the actual meat. Beef is one of the few meat products people still eat completely raw in dishes like steak tartare (often topped with a raw egg yolk for good measure), or carpaccio where the barely penetrates the meat at all. The bacteria that affects beef lives entirely on the surface, by the time you seared the outside of the steak it's completely safe to cook.

ReputationRep:
    Has to be well done. My stomach will refuse to accept it otherwise.
    All you vampirish people are tough!

ReputationRep:
    medium rare and doused in a shot of jack single barrel then flambeed

ReputationRep:
    Funny how you post that. I had a nice piece of Sirloin steak for tea tonight! ^^
    But mine has to be fully well-done. If I cut it open, and there's even the slightest bit of pink inside, I just can't eat it.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by RCLeahcar)
    Funny how you post that. I had a nice piece of Sirloin steak for tea tonight! ^^
    But mine has to be fully well-done. If I cut it open, and there's even the slightest bit of pink inside, I just can't eat it.
    Same here! I know it's not technically blood, and it's something to do with proteins, but any pink or 'blood' and it's just nope. You can't even ignore it, because you can taste it. Nothing wrong with a well-done steak!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.