Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to definitely do French at a level as I absolutely love foreign languages and i think I'm naturally good at it (i learn languages as a hobby too).

So I'm considering doing a degree in French and Russian or maybe Arabic and French idk yet but the only problem is what jobs can I do? That's the only thing that I'm unsure of.

I definitely don't want to become a teacher and im not as keen on just being like a freelance translator so I don't know?

I don't want to do the degree if I'm not even going to end up having a job I'd like to do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The first question is what is the job you'd like to do? If you have something specific in mind then look up the entry requirements and go from there. If not and languages is what you enjoy then go for it. Any degree you do will give you a load of transferable skills which you can apply to pretty much anything that needs them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomteenx)
    I'm going to definitely do French at a level as I absolutely love foreign languages and i think I'm naturally good at it (i learn languages as a hobby too).

So I'm considering doing a degree in French and Russian or maybe Arabic and French idk yet but the only problem is what jobs can I do? That's the only thing that I'm unsure of.

I definitely don't want to become a teacher and im not as keen on just being like a freelance translator so I don't know?

I don't want to do the degree if I'm not even going to end up having a job I'd like to do.
    If you do a language degree you could become an interpreter, diplomat, sales rep, aid worker, could even work in marketing or journalism.

There are many options for a language student, you just have to know what you're getting into and be motivated about it.

Russian and Arabic would be extremely useful as they are spoken in relatively large and growing economies however, they will be hard as they have different writing systems and I think different grammar also, different arabic dialects are mutually unintelligible, but if you're really motivated and enjoy learning languages it should not be a problem. Just be prepared to have to commit to your subjects and then your chosen career field.

All the best in your future language studies!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Google is your friend.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...dern-languages

plus any graduate non specific jobs.

ReputationRep:
    A fair number of language students go into Law (typically top international commercial firms). There's many transferable skills you gain from a language degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.