Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, is it worth it to spend my years at uni doing a really hard course and end up not actually getting a good job (as astronomy/ astrophysics is very competitive, of course getting a week paid job isn't a worry when it comes to engineering).

I don't know whether I should just stick to foreign languages or biology or actually try and pursue this. It has always been my dream to explore the universe and discover new things but I don't know if the reality of the job is what I imagine?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    People who work in science and research tend to do it more for the love of it than the money. And yes it is very competitive so if your heart isn't completely in it then no it's not worth pursuing. Engineering is generally considered a solid option though. Maybe get some experience to see if it's for you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand your dilemma.

Physics (or astrophysics) are highly employable degrees, even if you don't stay in research. Engineering is highly employable too. You can be an engineer and be involved in discovering about the universe (e.g. designing satellites and so on).

Foreign languages and biology are fine degrees, but not as employable as the above.

Or is it physics/engineering you're tossing up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    I don't understand your dilemma.

Physics (or astrophysics) are highly employable degrees, even if you don't stay in research. Engineering is highly employable too. You can be an engineer and be involved in discovering about the universe (e.g. designing satellites and so on).

Foreign languages and biology are fine degrees, but not as employable as the above.

Or is it physics/engineering you're tossing up?
    Most of the people I've talked to (Including those who've done a physics / astronomy degree) have found it very difficult to get a job because it's so competitive. One person I know now just works as a bar manager

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomteenx)
    Most of the people I've talked to (Including those who've done a physics / astronomy degree) have found it very difficult to get a job because it's so competitive. One person I know now just works as a bar manager
    A job in what?

ReputationRep:
    To get a job I'm a faculty post as a physicist for example can be difficult, but in terms of getting a job, you've got a vast array of choice, its so employable.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you like! As long as you are able to get a 2:1 (that does not only depend on the subject, but also on the uni), you can still do a lot of stuff. Studying a language and studying astrophysics is very different, both open and close doors. But it is not, that just because you are an astrophysicist, you can't do anything else. Teaching, Finance, some engineering work are still open... I think, the course has to fit you and you have to enjoy it, than you will be good and find a job.

(As said: Biology and Languages do not really have higher prospects, especially languages can be very different... loads of different degrees...)

ReputationRep:
    Just writing this as I think it could be vaguely relevant. I studied maths-y/science-y A levels, and german. I have always liked languages and science. I'm working this year to earn some money. Next year I am hoping to study Mechanical Engineering and an italian university in german english and italian. The idea is you have a good knowledge of 2 languages initially, and learn the third while there. It's right in the alps so very impressive scenery - ticks all boxes so far. Thought that might help someone.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.