What should I switch my subject to? Watch

Jooms
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My original options when I joined college were; Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Psychology.

The first three I all enjoy ,am doing reasonably well in and chose due to meet the requirements for the type of degree I want to get. I chose Psychology because I thoght it would be interesting. Don't get me wrong, the content is interesting, though I hadn't really grasped the amount of (highly, highly repetitive) Evaluation i would have to do.

This has lead me to the decision of dropping Psychology. This has left me in a bit of a tough spot. I want to do 4 A-Levels at least to AS but it seems like far too late to swap subjects. Idealy i would want to swap it for another subject. Though I am considering dropping Psychology entirely and doing an EPQ instead, though i don't know how my college handles them. The only other A-Levels i have any interest in are Chemistry and Computer Science. I'm leaning towards Computer Science as i preferred it at GCSE and got a B, even though my teacher was terrible.

I worry mostly due to Uni applications. Physics and Maths are fairly competitive from an application stand point. I just don't want to put myself at a disadvantage compared to others.

Overall, I'd like to know wether;
  • I would be able to catch up if i chose a fourth subject;
  • I am putting myself at a particular disadvantage for my Uni application;
  • What A-Level Chemistry and Computer Science are like;
  • And wether i should do a 4th A-Level or save myself the stress of a 4th subect and opt for an EPQ instead.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
An EPQ is a good option as there isn't much catching up to do, you can do it on something you're interested in and enjoy and you gain a lot of skills from it. In terms of whether or not to take another subject instead, you need to talk to your teachers about whether you can at this stage and can catch up as they know you best. If you meet the uni entry requirements it doesn't really matter as long as you have good grads generally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.49%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (28)
15.3%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (7)
3.83%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.01%