When you want to cry over MScs Watch

NeuroJanine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone

I was at a postgrad evening. I have an ordinary degree in Applied Chemistry and an Open Uni MSc in Science, I did my PgCert in Chemistry which had its project credit transferred to the OU MSc. I have basically been told that my MSc should have been taken into account, applying for PhD and even some MSc / PhD courses and they say I need honours? Either that or I have no lab experience when my project was a lab-based project for my PG Cert!

I am seriously considering doing this MSc as I will be doing and if anyone else says, "I have no lab experience" !!!!! Was the initial MSc a waste of time as I have to do this second one to compensate with what I thought the OU one would've done.

Does anyone else have this issue?
#ChaosKass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The vast majority of PhDs require a first class degree. I have no idea how you're expecting to get an offer with just an ordinary.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NeuroJanine)
Hi everyone

I was at a postgrad evening. I have an ordinary degree in Applied Chemistry and an Open Uni MSc in Science, I did my PgCert in Chemistry which had its project credit transferred to the OU MSc. I have basically been told that my MSc should have been taken into account, applying for PhD and even some MSc / PhD courses and they say I need honours? Either that or I have no lab experience when my project was a lab-based project for my PG Cert!

I am seriously considering doing this MSc as I will be doing and if anyone else says, "I have no lab experience" !!!!! Was the initial MSc a waste of time as I have to do this second one to compensate with what I thought the OU one would've done.

Sorry I'm a bit confused about who told you what about taking your MSc into account and what you're applying for. It sounds like you have an MSc already so why are you applying for another one? If you want to do a PhD contact places you may want to do it and find out how they'd view you as an applicant.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NeuroJanine)
Hi everyone

If I've understood your post, you do seem to have a couple of practical barriers to PhD entry.

It's pretty standard for PhD entry to look at both undergrad and Masters results. If you have an Ordinary (i.e. non-Honours) degree under the English system, then you will probably struggle as that's lower than a Third class degree. Most unis will look for a 2:1 as a minimum, with many needing a First to make you competitive. If it's an Ordinary degree from the Scottish system (i.e. three years successfully completed but minus the fourth Honours year) then you may need to explain it in more detail to unis. However, you still need to have gained a good final result, preferably in the high 60s as a minimum and the bottom line is that it's still not an Honours degree.

If you're looking at a lab-based PhD, you will be competing with applicants who have a full Masters year of lab experience at that level, probably together with a lab-based extended independent research project. A PGCert is only one term. Whilst your lab experience from that is solid and at the correct level, you may just not have enough formal hands-on experience to make you a competitive PhD applicant at the moment. In this case, doing a second lab-based MSc would probably make you a much more attractive PhD candidate.

I agree with the above poster. Don't be discouraged by your experience at one uni postgrad event. Email a few more which seem to mesh with your intended Masters/PhD research interests, outline your current qualifications and see what they say.
NeuroJanine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
Sorry I'm a bit confused about who told you what about taking your MSc into account and what you're applying for. It sounds like you have an MSc already so why are you applying for another one? If you want to do a PhD contact places you may want to do it and find out how they'd view you as an applicant.
I have done, and I lack experience in a lab. I have tried for years to get into somewhere for experience and no luck. My degree was closed, and it is a Scottish ordinary degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%