Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I will start a levels which is next year (I am doing applications)there will be no exams for as they will only serve to see your strengths and they will not contribute to the final grade you receive.They also do not count for anything so you will receive no credit.This information is from which university magazine by the way so it is probably right but then people make mistakes.

I picked so far biology,chemistry and maths I don't know what to do because i will drop one subject and I won't get any credit for it anyway the final goal is medicine.I originally wanted to do physics but after doing some entrance exams for physics I realised that perhaps I do not enjoy it as much I believed I did.Then i wanted to do further maths but my parents think it would take too much time and energy and it is not needed for my job.

I am not the best at maths but I quite like the subject and I am not fazed by hardness so I would not it but maybe they are right doing a level maths is a challenge itself.So then I wanted to do politcs but not all sixth forms do it .So then I wanted to do RS but I was told it is a joke.Now I am left with these subjects:

History,english lit,classical civilization.I do not know anything about classical civilization what is it about is it respectable?I like history but the sources suck out the fun of history as they are not very exciting.English lit I hear is a big step up for GCSE and I heard it requires a lot of time.

Any help appreciated I need to just pick one and the problem is I don't want to but I have to and I know what I need.For others this works well as they see their strengths but for me it is obvious so it is kind of pointless.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    When I will start a levels which is next year (I am doing applications)there will be no exams for as they will only serve to see your strengths and they will not contribute to the final grade you receive.They also do not count for anything so you will receive no credit.This information is from which university magazine by the way so it is probably right but then people make mistakes.

I picked so far biology,chemistry and maths I don't know what to do because i will drop one subject and I won't get any credit for it anyway the final goal is medicine.I originally wanted to do physics but after doing some entrance exams for physics I realised that perhaps I do not enjoy it as much I believed I did.Then i wanted to do further maths but my parents think it would take too much time and energy and it is not needed for my job.

I am not the best at maths but I quite like the subject and I am not fazed by hardness so I would not it but maybe they are right doing a level maths is a challenge itself.So then I wanted to do politcs but not all sixth forms do it .So then I wanted to do RS but I was told it is a joke.Now I am left with these subjects:

History,english lit,classical civilization.I do not know anything about classical civilization what is it about is it respectable?I like history but the sources suck out the fun of history as they are not very exciting.English lit I hear is a big step up for GCSE and I heard it requires a lot of time.

Any help appreciated I need to just pick one and the problem is I don't want to but I have to and I know what I need.For others this works well as they see their strengths but for me it is obvious so it is kind of pointless.
    I would suggest not taking English lit, just because it does take quite a lot of time. If you do not like the subject you would literally hate doing it. If you are worried about the sources, I would suggest doing classical civilisation out of those choices although it is not a traditional subject so it might not be the best option especially for a prospective medical student. Can you do geography at A2 Level? perhaps that would be a better option. Psychology would also not be a bad option because it does have its connections with medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    I would suggest not taking English lit, just because it does take quite a lot of time. If you do not like the subject you would literally hate doing it. If you are worried about the sources, I would suggest doing classical civilisation out of those choices although it is not a traditional subject so it might not be the best option especially for a prospective medical student. Can you do geography at A2 Level? perhaps that would be a better option. Psychology would also not be a bad option because it does have its connections with medicine.
    I did not do geography gcse and I am not fond of geography and psychology is a bit eh.I think i may go with history.I will enjoy some bits and I won't be paying any consequences if I do not do well due to the a level reforms.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I did not do geography gcse and I am not fond of geography and psychology is a bit eh.I think i may go with history.I will enjoy some bits and I won't be paying any consequences if I do not do well due to the a level reforms.
    I think that would be the best option then. Biology, Chemistry and History for A2 is a good mix.

ReputationRep:
    I did bio, chem, maths and English lit and I wished I hadn't bothered with English. It was a waste of time really. However, if you are good enough to study medicine you really should be able to handle 4 A levels. It would also act as insurance e.g. if you miss a grade in one subject you could make it up in your fourth.

SInce your other 3 are very solid, I would choose a fourth that you will enjoy and do well in, even if it is a bit "eh". Further maths is a great subject, but you should be very confident in maths to go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Your understanding of the impact of A level reform isn't fully accurate. All reformed A levels are designed to make it possible to take an optional AS in them and to then continue or not to the full A level. An AS is still a recognised qualification and any AS results would be considered by a university that you applied to. What has changed is that AS marks don't count towards any final A level result.

This distinction is important because different schools have adopted different strategies. You need to find out what the schools you will apply to have decided. Here are examples from schools in my area.
    1. Students start four subjects and must drop one at Christmas of year 12, they don't take AS exams at all
    2. Students start four subjects but nominate one that they will drop after AS. They have some flexibility to rethink their choice until exam entries are done. They only do AS in the one subject.
    3. Students start four subjects and after mock exams at the end of year 12 they can drop one (but get no credit for the year of study) or if they do well enough they can continue all four.
    4. Students start 4 subjects, they can drop one if they find the going tough. They take AS exams in all subjects at the end of year 12. They usually only continue 3 subjects to take the full A level.

Make sure you know what your chosen sixth form or college has decided for their strategy.

If you are applying for medicine in the uk you need excellent grades from 3 A levels. From 100's of discussions on TSR the ideal combination seems to be chemistry, biology and one other respected subject. You can do anything you like for a fourth subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.