Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Morning guys!

I've just been offered two offers from Lancaster,
    Psychology + Study abroad
    Psychology + Masters

And I was wondering which one would you recommend me taking?
    My heart has been set out on the bsc with the study abroad, as I've wanted to study abroad for a long time!
    However, when I saw that my grades might actually fit in with the masters, I applied!

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, firstly congrats on your offers!

Secondly, I'd personally go with the study abroad year. Undergrads which lead to Masters qualifications aren't look on quite so highly as Undergrad + Masters separately as far as I'm aware.

Also, from my experience as a psychology grad, practical experience goes a hell of a long way in job applications which your placement will be so valuable for. Purely from an career point of view I feel like this is the best option.

Finally, when else do you get the opportunity to live abroad for a year? It'll be so much more difficult after graduation and you get to experience a year of another culture and meet new people and I'm sure you'd have an amazing time.

Obviously, go with whatever feels right to you but that's just my two cents on the matter. Good luck with whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice either way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qqpeow)

Secondly, I'd personally go with the study abroad year. Undergrads which lead to Masters qualifications aren't look on quite so highly as Undergrad + Masters separately as far as I'm aware.

Also, from my experience as a psychology grad, practical experience goes a hell of a long way in job applications which your placement will be so valuable for. Purely from an career point of view I feel like this is the best option.

Finally, when else do you get the opportunity to live abroad for a year? It'll be so much more difficult after graduation and you get to experience a year of another culture and meet new people and I'm sure you'd have an amazing time.

Obviously, go with whatever feels right to you but that's just my two cents on the matter. Good luck with whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice either way!
    Thank you so much !
    I think I'm with you my heart is on the year abroad
    Thanks for replying x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qqpeow)

I haven't heard about this (in bold), don't think its true at all.

What i'd say is that there is very little point in doing a masters unless you want to become a professional/research psychologist, so you may not find it useful in the end. However, in terms of academic skills (which aren't everything), doing one year of masters is likely to be better than doing an additional year of undergraduate study abroad. Language skills, however could be useful, and studying abroad will also be amazing

One advantage in applying for masters now is that your UCAS funding is all sorted for it, whereas if you apply for one after graduating you have to use bank of mum and dad (or the less generous post grad loan scheme) to fund it. However, if you have a specific area of interest that you develop after completing your degree, you may find that there is a better masters course for you somewhere else anyway!

I would personally stick with what you really want to do - go abroad - as its something that you really want to do - unless you a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    I haven't heard about this (in bold), don't think its true at all.

What i'd say is that there is very little point in doing a masters unless you want to become a professional/research psychologist, so you may not find it useful in the end. However, in terms of academic skills (which aren't everything), doing one year of masters is likely to be better than doing an additional year of undergraduate study abroad. Language skills, however could be useful, and studying abroad will also be amazing

One advantage in applying for masters now is that your UCAS funding is all sorted for it, whereas if you apply for one after graduating you have to use bank of mum and dad (or the less generous post grad loan scheme) to fund it. However, if you have a specific area of interest that you develop after completing your degree, you may find that there is a better masters course for you somewhere else anyway!

I would personally stick with what you really want to do - go abroad - as its something that you really want to do - unless you a
    Thanks for the reply . And yeah you're right ! Thanks for that.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.