Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm feeling a bit lazy to think this through, so can someone clarify this for me:

When you jump in a train you don't get flung to the back of the train because you have the same velocity as the train, so everything is fine.

But what about on earth? Now the earth is slightly curved obviously. So when you jump up you go to a greater radius and thus require a greater velocity to stay in alignment with the position you jumped from on earth. But obviously you dont have any extra velocity and so shouldn you move back slightly?

My question is essentially: When you jump up from standing on the ground, do you move ever so slightly backwards against the Earth's rotation? (obviously it wont be measurable, but should you theoretically move back)?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the gravitational pull of the Earth is greater than the energy of the Earth's movement.

ReputationRep:
    does the gravity accelerate us tangentionally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    does the gravity accelerate us tangentionally?
    yes, to the centre of mass wich is not necessarily the centre of the earth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    My question is essentially: When you jump up from standing on the ground, do you move ever so slightly backwards against the Earth's rotation? (obviously it wont be measurable, but should you theoretically move back)?
    Yes, you should be moved slightly out of position. The Coriolis Effect is actually noticeable.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.