lac2260
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone! Congratulations on your offers and interviews. I received an invitation for interview on the Secondary English PGCE last Friday! I was bowled over, I did not expect to be given an interview, did not tell anyone (even my mum) that I had applied for Cambridge! The interview is this Thursday, so feeling a little stressed about lack of preparation time! The comments made here about the supportive environment are making me feel a whole lot better though

If anyone has any experience of the English Interview experience I would really appreciate some information about what the day involves! For example, I have planned my presentation on being able to involve the other interviewees (as I would a class), is this going to be possible?
NicoChico
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Teachingdream)
Well done on getting an interview! As the others have said, they are all very friendly and do there best to put you at ease. For the written exercise - remember they aren't expecting a Masters level long essay for this, just proof that you can construct a written piece of work. Don't worry about when you left uni - they will be interested in what you've been doing since then and it's not a disadvantage. Let us know how you get on
Hey!!
I'm really pleased to say I got an offer on Friday afternoon after my interview. So I guess I'll be starting the Primary PGCE in September!
Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews; as others have said, it's super relaxed so don't worry!
29BethL29
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi everyone, I don't really know if this is the right place to ask, but I applied to the General Primary PGCE at Cambridge 2 weeks ago on Thursday (probably technically Friday as I did it fairly late). How quickly did you get your interviews? I've yet to hear anything. Thank you!!
pumpkindream79
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi everyone! I have an interview for General Primary PGCE at Cambridge next week which I'm really excited/nervous about! I'm thinking now about which two colleges to put down on the application form. Which ones does everyone think are best for PGCE students? I'm guessing probably Homerton?
Jarjarbings
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys, I got an interview at Cambridge but I’m a little worried about the presentation since I haven’t told to prepare any specific topic. Are we supposed to come up with the presentation on the day?
stenbergabarn
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

I attended an online interview for the general Primary PGCE programme this week (w/c 29 November 2021) and received an offer two days later. Here is some info for other lovely folks doing the interview in the coming days and months.

You start off in a small zoom room, with two interviewers and up to four candidates. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed, and the interviewers make sure that you're comfortable. Of course you're nervous, or I was, so there will always be an element of tension, but this was not made worse by the interviewers in any way. We did rounds in alphabetical order presenting our objects, and then another round straight after with the two-minute presentations. After a candidate had presented, the other ones were invited to ask questions. I think they want to see active participation and good communication skills, so try to think when the other people are presenting about what you might ask them.

After the presentations, we all got a time for when our individual interview would take place. These happen while you are writing your Written Task based on the pre-interview article that you got sent to you. So for me, I started writing at 9:40 or so, and my individual interview was to take place at 11. I made sure to finish my writing before the interview, but in the end there would have been some time for me to finish it after as well, however I didn't want to risk it.

The Written Task should be written by hand, so prepare some lined paper. I didn't know this and had to search my flat for a notebook, but it all went fine. After writing, you take good photos of your essay and email to the admissions officer. They want to see that you have a good Engligh vocabulary and an academic register. Your handwriting is also scrutinised as this is important for working as a primary school teacher.

The interview lasts about 30 minutes, although mine got extended becuase there were some wifi issues. Honestly my memories from the interview are a bit of a blur because I was nervous, but the interviewers (the same two as from before) were very nice. Prepare some answers for the most common questions, particularly "why Cambridge?". I hadn't prepared and had to come up with things on the spot.

At around 12:30, there was an information session for everyone applying that day, which was around 12 people. This session is not weighed into your performance, so you can relax or ask any honest questions you have.

I hope this helped someone!
Last edited by stenbergabarn; 1 month ago
hjfl99
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stenbergabarn)
Hello!

I attended an online interview for the general Primary PGCE programme this week (w/c 29 November 2021) and received an offer two days later. Here is some info for other lovely folks doing the interview in the coming days and months.

You start off in a small zoom room, with two interviewers and up to four candidates. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed, and the interviewers make sure that you're comfortable. Of course you're nervous, or I was, so there will always be an element of tension, but this was not made worse by the interviewers in any way. We did rounds in alphabetical order presenting our objects, and then another round straight after with the two-minute presentations. After a candidate had presented, the other ones were invited to ask questions. I think they want to see active participation and good communication skills, so try to think when the other people are presenting about what you might ask them.

After the presentations, we all got a time for when our individual interview would take place. These happen while you are writing your Written Task based on the pre-interview article that you got sent to you. So for me, I started writing at 9:40 or so, and my individual interview was to take place at 11. I made sure to finish my writing before the interview, but in the end there would have been some time for me to finish it after as well, however I didn't want to risk it.

The Written Task should be written by hand, so prepare some lined paper. I didn't know this and had to search my flat for a notebook, but it all went fine. After writing, you take good photos of your essay and email to the admissions officer. They want to see that you have a good Engligh vocabulary and an academic register. Your handwriting is also scrutinised as this is important for working as a primary school teacher.

The interview lasts about 30 minutes, although mine got extended becuase there were some wifi issues. Honestly my memories from the interview are a bit of a blur because I was nervous, but the interviewers (the same two as from before) were very nice. Prepare some answers for the most common questions, particularly "why Cambridge?". I hadn't prepared and had to come up with things on the spot.

At around 12:30, there was an information session for everyone applying that day, which was around 12 people. This session is not weighed into your performance, so you can relax or ask any honest questions you have.

Hi, thank you so much for posting this I have my interview for the same course in a couple of days and this has definitely helped me know what to expect. I have an object sorted but I'm a little worried it's not quite right, what sort of thing did people bring along? Thanks!
Last edited by hjfl99; 1 month ago
stenbergabarn
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hjfl99)
Hi, thank you so much for posting this I have my interview for the same course in a couple of days and this has definitely helped me know what to expect. I have an object sorted but I'm a little worried it's not quite right, what sort of thing did people bring along? Thanks!
Hi! I'm so glad this post found someone who needed it. Congratulations on the invitation to interview!

I brought a world map and talked about how we might use one in the classroom to expand students' views of the world. Another candidate brought a small whiteboard, and the third one had printed off an image of her object, colourful cubes that can be used in maths teaching. So most things go! What were you planning to bring?
Jacinto
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by stenbergabarn)
Hello!

This is so helpful and has made me feel so much calmer about my interview this week, so thank you! I think for my object I’ll use some wooden blocks and talk about how children can use them independently and in adult-led activities. Presentation is a bit harder - was just going to talk about a reception maths lesson I saw and how the teacher created a stimulating environment and differentiated learning for different abilities. What sort of thing did you talk about in the maths reflection? Do they just want to know if you’re going to need support plugging gaps in your mathematical understanding? Thank you!
stenbergabarn
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jacinto)
This is so helpful and has made me feel so much calmer about my interview this week, so thank you! I think for my object I’ll use some wooden blocks and talk about how children can use them independently and in adult-led activities. Presentation is a bit harder - was just going to talk about a reception maths lesson I saw and how the teacher created a stimulating environment and differentiated learning for different abilities. What sort of thing did you talk about in the maths reflection? Do they just want to know if you’re going to need support plugging gaps in your mathematical understanding? Thank you!
That's great to hear! Congratulations on the invitation to the interview!
The wooden blocks sound like a great object to talk about, and the presentation topic also sounds good and like it highlights your reflective skills in a nice way.
For the maths reflection, I mainly talked about how I need to relearn some concepts as I learned maths in a different language (I'm from Sweden). I also said that I had started that process by looking at the curriculum and some maths teaching guidance from the Department for Education. If I'm guessing, I think they want to see self-awareness about your own skills, and perhaps some initiative if there are gaps you need to fill. Alternatively, if you feel 100% comfortable with the maths skills needed, you could perhaps say something about how you think maths should be taught, or talk about your own experiences from maths classes.
Hope this helped some, and best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads