Advice on economics courses Watch

jonathan_dunn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello all,

I'd appreciate if anyone could give some sort of advice on where I should apply. Currently I have a shortlist of 10 universities, each with several potential courses. Here are my grades.

GCSE: 4 A*s, 3As, 3Bs, 2CS (12 total including C in English Language and A* in maths)
AS: A German, B Ancient History, B Economics, C Maths, C General studies
Predictions: currently AAAA on the system but I'm hoping to get either or both of economics or German pushed up to an A*.

I aim to do resits of AS maths and I've been putting a lot of work in so far this year so I think my A in maths will be achievable. I'm also planning on resitting English language GCSE so that I can get a B which is on the requirements for the top unis.

My shortlist (in no particular order): Bath, Warwick, Exeter, Bristol, Nottingham, LSE, UCL, Queen Mary, King's College, City University of London.

I'm not too bothered on the course. It could be political economy, pure economics, Economics with German or whatever.
My questions are: do you think my grades are good enough to apply to these Universities? Are there any particular advantages/disadvantages? Anything else I should consider? Thanks.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jonathan_dunn)
Hello all,

I'd appreciate if anyone could give some sort of advice on where I should apply. Currently I have a shortlist of 10 universities, each with several potential courses. Here are my grades.

GCSE: 4 A*s, 3As, 3Bs, 2CS (12 total including C in English Language and A* in maths)
AS: A German, B Ancient History, B Economics, C Maths, C General studies
Predictions: currently AAAA on the system but I'm hoping to get either or both of economics or German pushed up to an A*.

I aim to do resits of AS maths and I've been putting a lot of work in so far this year so I think my A in maths will be achievable. I'm also planning on resitting English language GCSE so that I can get a B which is on the requirements for the top unis.

My shortlist (in no particular order): Bath, Warwick, Exeter, Bristol, Nottingham, LSE, UCL, Queen Mary, King's College, City University of London.

I'm not too bothered on the course. It could be political economy, pure economics, Economics with German or whatever.
My questions are: do you think my grades are good enough to apply to these Universities? Are there any particular advantages/disadvantages? Anything else I should consider? Thanks.
I have put in bold in your piece what I find worrying... Truthfully, the university matters far less in real life than is made out on this forum board... What matters far more is the actual course and modules taken, your skillset and any (work) experience gained during university.
joddcfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would look to apply to an A*AA uni (if you can get at least one A* prediction), two or three AAA ones, an AAB one and maybe an ABB one, depending on how "safe" you want to play it.

Not completely sure of the entry requirements for those unis but that would probably mean applying for:

One of Bath, Warwick, Bristol, LSE, UCL and Kings. Exeter and Nottingham have A*AA as the higher grade given out so maybe one of the pure A*AA plus Exeter and Nottingham. I wouldn't bother with LSE as they tend to favour applicants with further maths and all As at AS. I think out of the definite A*AA unis Bristol and Bath may be the most achievable.

Definitely apply to Queen Mary and City UoL as they, to my knowledge, have lower entry requirements than the others. I would also look to expand your shortlist as Economics is a very competitive course and the A*AA unis you've listed are very good ones. Would recommend York - I think it's the highest AAB uni in terms of rankings. Leeds also a good shout at AAA. Your uni choices tend to be all fairly southern so if that's what you're wanting then Birmingham and Southampton may be good. Perhaps Surrey too, not a Russel group uni but up and coming and gaining respect. Same for Loughborough too.

Hope that helps - I'm applying for economics at Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, York and Leeds (have offers from the last 3) so might know more about those than others

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%