a level Differentiation question Watch

DeCosta
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
1) The curve with equation y=x^3-4x^2+3x crosses the x-axis at the points A, B and C.
a)find coordinates of points a b and c
b) find the gradient of the curve at each of the points

+

2) A curve has equation y=x^3+x^2-4x+1
a) find the gradient of the curve at the point P(-1,5) <-- ive done this
B) given that the gradient at the point Q on the curve is the same as the gradient at the point P; find, as exact fractions, the coordinates of point Q.

could you show working out cheers in advance
IceCityRabz
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you want answers or help?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DeCosta)
1) The curve with equation y=x^3-4x^2+3x crosses the x-axis at the points A, B and C.
a)find coordinates of points a b and c
b) find the gradient of the curve at each of the points

+

2) A curve has equation y=x^3+x^2-4x+1
a) find the gradient of the curve at the point P(-1,5) <-- ive done this
B) given that the gradient at the point Q on the curve is the same as the gradient at the point P; find, as exact fractions, the coordinates of point Q.

could you show working out cheers in advance
Question 1a is a round about way of saying solve x^3-4x^2+3x=0 to find points A B and C

In 2a you differentiated the equation to find a gradient function (the derivative)
For 2b you need to solve when that gradient function = the gradient you found in 2a

Posted from TSR Mobile
DeCosta
Rep:
?
(Original post by IceCityRabz)
Do you want answers or help?
answers please lol
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
answers please lol
If you want answers then just use Wolfram Alpha.

It won't tell you how to do it, and won't help you learn, but hey, answers are the important part, right??
DeCosta
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)

It won't tell you how to do it, and won't help you learn, but hey, answers are the important part, right??
I meant answers with working out, stfu with your sarcastic tone god damn lol
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I meant answers with working out, stfu with your sarcastic tone god damn lol
Not quite sure how that's supposed to make it any better, but keep up that attitude and you won't even get hints.

We don't really do your questions for you, so post your attempt at the question and we can let you know where you're going wrong or how to proceed. For instance; in Q1 you need to find the roots of the cubic first and then you have your 3 points.
RossB1702
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Hey for part A do you do it by setting up a polynomial table and subbing in a value of x that will allow the function = 0 ? That's how I was taught just curious to how you's A level pupils would do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RossB1702)
Hey for part A do you do it by setting up a polynomial table and subbing in a value of x that will allow the function = 0 ? That's how I was taught just curious to how you's A level pupils would do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We would reduce it to something much simpler. So we would factor out the x and then solve the quadratic that is left by either completing the square or factorising it from inspection.
RossB1702
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We would reduce it to something much simpler. So we would factor out the x and then solve the quadratic that is left by either completing the square or factorising it from inspection.
Oh yeah i didn't spot that you can take out x for each value. how would you do it if you couldn't cancel out the x because there is a positive integer at the end of the function ?
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh yeah i didn't spot that you can take out x for each value. how would you do it if you couldn't cancel out the x because there is a positive integer at the end of the function ?
The problem then becomes more tricky. We would attempt to find at least one root by substituting some factors of the constant. If at least one of those numbers work, we use long division (or otherwise) on the cubic and divide it by (x-a) where x=a makes the cubic equal to 0. This case comes up most of the time at A-Level maths.

What comes up very rarely is when there are no such 'nice' numbers that you try and are factors of the constant, which would make the cubic equal to 0, at which point you can only approximate the roots by various methods or delve into some more complex mathematics beyond normal A-Level maths.
RossB1702
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The problem then becomes more tricky. We would attempt to find at least one root by substituting some factors of the constant. If at least one of those numbers work, we use long division (or otherwise) on the cubic and divide it by (x-a) where x=a makes the cubic equal to 0. This case comes up most of the time at A-Level maths.

What comes up very rarely is when there are no such 'nice' numbers that you try and are factors of the constant, which would make the cubic equal to 0, at which point you can only approximate the roots by various methods or delve into some more complex mathematics beyond normal A-Level maths.
Interesting. So what are you planning on doing after your degree ?
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Interesting. So what are you planning on doing after your degree ?
Not entirely sure :lol: but I'd like to go into research
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (809)
80.42%
Leave (197)
19.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed