Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Help Please!

I got a CEEE in my AS year and retaking the AS year again is out of the question as this was my retake year. Been REALLY lazy!

Im aiming for an ABC (believe it or not) and want to go to uni but should I apply late or try to get through by clearing as im likley to get knocked back early on ???

Can i still be accepted to universities by applying late with an ABC ?

Cheers Guys

ReputationRep:
    Well we need to know what uni's you want to go to the subject you are hoping to take and so forth. But with a bit of hard work and less partying you should get the grades as long as the subjects are not the hardest ones out there.

ReputationRep:
    Heres my grades

AS Law - C
    AS Religious Studies - E
    AS Gov & Pol - E

Im hoping to get an ABC at A2 and just want to go to any top 50 uni to study Law LLB.

Should I be worried about not getting a place at any uni even if i acheive an ABC or am worrying over nothing?

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand everything you said, even after reading it three times.

I think people normally drop a grade at A2 also the AS grades get added to A2 so you would have to do very well to get ABC overall.

Law is quite difficult to get into, so have a look at one of these "top 50" Unis and see what grades they need. You might need to lower your expectations.

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar problem too; I got ABCC for AS and I could turn both of those Cs into Bs (History - 2 more marks needed and ICT - 1 more mark needed). Here's the problem:

ICT - in the Jun exam, I got 88/90 - no point remarking or resitting - it's not going to get any higher, is it? So I'll have to resit the Jan module instead - can I do this or is it too late? And when's the deadline to let the exams tutors know? Because I haven't spoken to anyone about this yet...
    Also, can I redo the coursework? This was my weakest point and I could gain a lot of marks from here... but I should point out, I'm not continuing ICT next year... I just want a good AS for this subject.

History - C grade gained in both Jan and Jun - could I possibly resit both?

Business Studies - gained DCA over the three modules - should I resit the DC modules? I only just scraped a B so if my marks go down, I'm really in trouble...

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

(Sorry, BOBO777, for not being of much help)

ReputationRep:
    Your options are basically push on, try very very hard, retake and hope you get into a very average university, or drop out. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but that's the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak47kalam)
    I have a similar problem too; I got ABCC for AS and I could turn both of those Cs into Bs (History - 2 more marks needed and ICT - 1 more mark needed). Here's the problem:

ICT - in the Jun exam, I got 88/90 - no point remarking or resitting - it's not going to get any higher, is it? So I'll have to resit the Jan module instead - can I do this or is it too late? And when's the deadline to let the exams tutors know? Because I haven't spoken to anyone about this yet...
    Also, can I redo the coursework? This was my weakest point and I could gain a lot of marks from here... but I should point out, I'm not continuing ICT next year... I just want a good AS for this subject.

History - C grade gained in both Jan and Jun - could I possibly resit both?

Business Studies - gained DCA over the three modules - should I resit the DC modules? I only just scraped a B so if my marks go down, I'm really in trouble...

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

(Sorry, BOBO777, for not being of much help)
    You have plenty of time yet before resit forms for January have to be in (I think). Overall I wouldn't worry too much, your situation is not THAT bad - you can resit as many modules as you want as long as they are not cashed in. If you do well at A2, you still have a chance of getting some decent A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    You can improve, but it'll take a lot of work. I went from D,C,C to A,B,B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianne)
    You can improve, but it'll take a lot of work. I went from D,C,C to A,B,B.
    Exactly- i went from abcc to AAAc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    You have plenty of time yet before resit forms for January have to be in (I think). Overall I wouldn't worry too much, your situation is not THAT bad - you can resit as many modules as you want as long as they are not cashed in. If you do well at A2, you still have a chance of getting some decent A Levels.
    Not cashed in? I got my results and went straight home - I didn't see anyone about resits or declining grades or anything. Sorry for being so thick, but I have no idea how to go about this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak47kalam)
    Not cashed in? I got my results and went straight home - I didn't see anyone about resits or declining grades or anything. Sorry for being so thick, but I have no idea how to go about this...
    i dont think they are gonna cache them in before the 20th of september..so soon as ur school opens, get to mr.examiner, tell him wut u wanna resit and not to cache in the grades....and TADAAAA...ull get urself some time to push up ur grade ...and ur not thick, i was pretty much that "thick" a week ago too lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashir)
    i dont think they are gonna cache them in before the 20th of september..so soon as ur school opens, get to mr.examiner, tell him wut u wanna resit and not to cache in the grades....and TADAAAA...ull get urself some time to push up ur grade ...and ur not thick, i was pretty much that "thick" a week ago too lol...
    YAAAY!!!
    That's good news - better be quick though! Wait, can I resit modules that were sat all the way back in January? And what about coursework?

ReputationRep:
    As Nashir says, dont' cash in the AS and then resit the bad modules in Jan or June.

To the OP:
    In most cases it's good to apply early - the problem is a lot will depend on the predictions you get from your subject teachers, so in some ways it might be good to not rush too much so that you get a chance to persuade your teachers that you are actually working far harder this year and are worthy of a good prediction

Not wishing to lecture you(!!) but for your own sake please learn the lesson this time round about not partying too hard and trying to blag your way through.

ReputationRep:
    9 times out of 10 they won't cash them in until the end of A2 anyway unless you are dropping the subject, but make sure you let them know you want to resit in good time, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise anyone who didn't get the grades they wanted to retake or stay on another year. Here's my story;

I came to college in 2005 and took AS Levels in Music Technology, English Language and Media Studies. The Music Technology course was totally not what I expected and I quit about half way through. It was only gonna be a one year course anyway and I'd have had to pick something up for an AS during my second year but anyway...

I got a D in English Language and a B in Media Studies for that first year. I carried both subjects on to the second year picking up History. I made the decision early on I wouldn't apply for university and would instead stay on an extra year at college to finish this History course and pick up something new. I stick by this decision. Just got a B in Media Studies, a D in English Language for A Levels and a B in my first year of History.

The fact you already messed up once makes it more difficult, you should have really learned your lesson and tried harder. Anyway good luck with whatever you do and whatever happens.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't worry about bad as levels. You still have tons of options. The easiest is to make post a level application to uni. Hopefully you can improve your results in the next year and use your newly improved results to apply to any uni of your choice even oxbridge if you're ambitious.

If post a level isn't you thing. The declining results may be your next option. At the begining of the september term your school will give you the option of either cashing in or declining results. If you don't cash in then universities won't be able to see your as level result. The will judge you on your GCSEs and Predicted A level grades ( this is when you need to suck up to all your teachers, i hear belgium chocolates works wonders). Apparently lots of school don't let their students dont let their students cash in, so missing as level resullts won't look to wierd. Some schools make students takes as level at the end of upper sixth, etc. My school won't let us cash in our maths even if we did really well because they wont to leave our options open in case we want to do further maths next year.

Best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Decline your AS grades, assuming they're cashed in, so you can just pending for everything on your UCAS form and unis won't know what you got. Then you need to try and convince your teachers to give you higher predicted grades. All you can really do is promise to work a lot harder, but are you actually going to do that when you've already had to resit the whole year once and still come out with poor grades? You have to ask yourself honestly whether you really have the work ethic and determination to get decent grades at A-level and do law at a top 50 uni, otherwise it's pointless carrying on when you'll probably just do badly again. If you don't get any offers, there's always Extra and Clearing or reapplying post A-level. But of course, getting offers isn't enough on its own. You actually have to meet them as well, and turning CEE into ABC will be very hard, especially because A2s are a lot harder than ASs. You'll have to resit pretty much everything in January.

ak47kalam: Get your resits sorted out as soon as you go back to school/college. I think the deadline is sometime in September and you'll need to see your exams officer to get yourself entered. I think you can resit the coursework, but I'm not sure about. Remember that you'll need to decline your grade in order to resit since you're not carrying on to A2. You can also resit 2 history modules and 2 business modules if you want. That will give you 5 resits and possibly a coursework resit, plus any A2 exams you have in January, so it will be a fair amount of work, but certainly doable.

ReputationRep:
    I just wanna ask an advice...
    I got A for e.lit, B's for economics, maths and english and a C for history..these are my AS grades...i want to apply to LSE so my teacher adviced me to decline my B's and C and recertify it by Jan. 08...as she said it is competitive...im just wondering if LSE prioritises your predicted grades or your actual AS grades...but im hoping to boost the c to a b, and both b's to an a...so yeah...i'll probably get a certificate by march..and i am an overseas student so i want to send my ucas application latest by january 08..will i be at a disadvantage if i don't have my AS grades attached to my UCAS application?

ReputationRep:
    LSE will take everything into account but first you have to get past the GCSE grade test they will want a fair number of A*'s and A's if not all hehe thats what i was told by a friend who rung up and asked about the standards of LSE applicants But you will def. need to get all A's at A2 no matter what happens and its always a lucky dip with LSE and the like as its just sooo comptetive.

ReputationRep:
    thanks...so i would be at a disadvatage then?as in i need someone to explain to me how this uczs application works..cause my teacher specifically told me that the UK education system is based on predicted grades..
    i got 1a*6a3b for GCSE plus an a, 2b and a c for GCE O levels...crap..im screwed...but i heard from friends that even people with straight a's still got rejected...and i just personally think its all based on luck so im trying to buff up my personal statement and fill in with further readings ive done, attachments im going to do and etc...
    What does cash in mean anyway???so if i dont have a certified as grade, i am still able to apply to universities because i still have other qualifications plus predicted grades, which i have a feeling that they are 3a and 1b, or at least 2a2bs....that's good enough for a course which only needs aab right??? i say this because im resiting modules which i got c and below which im positively sure i cna improve especially the c and one of the b for economics..so i can raise my overall grade...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.