Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    desperate47, what course are you applying for? LSE are known for being picky about GCSE grades, so you could have a problem there, even though yours are good, but it depends how competitive your course is. Cashed in means that your AS grades have been accepted and will be certificated. If you got overall grades and total UMS marks on your results slips as well as module UMS marks, your grades are cashed in, so if you don't want to put them on your UCAS form, you'll need to decline them. Plenty of people do this and unis generally place more emphasis on predicted grades because they know that people can improve with resits, but it would mean they would be taking more of a chance by offering you a place than someone who they know did well at AS because predictions are often too generous, so it probably would be a slight disadvantage. If your grades haven't been cashed in and your referee mentions that this is school policy, the uni can't discriminate against you for not putting your grades down. AAAB/AABB should be enough for a course that wants AAB, but with a uni as competitive as LSE, having good enough predictions/grades by no means guarantees you a place. They'll also look at your GCSEs, personal statement and reference, so really it depends how you compare to other applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks kellywood 5...that is so helpful..so yeah i declined my grades cause my teacher advised me to..im applying for a course in government and economics at lse, bristol, and economics at ucl, warwick and maybe nottingham...i know i cant get into lse doing economics with an abb..so yeah i decided to opt for another course which im more interested in..so im trying to really buff up my application with further readings ive done like freakonomics, undercover economist...and an attachment im going to start next week at this economic development board...also ive been involved in school stuff like helping year 1-2 kids..well taking care of them..and maths club and so on...ive also won this powerpoint presentation competition-well national obviously...in year 8..
    i heard from people that lse is very random at how they pick their applicants because i've got a cousin who has gotten straight a's at gcse, as and a2 level but she got rejected by every uni she applied for...i mean she's smart!!!and i dont think her personal statement would have been that bad....
    btw you think that lse prefers someone with straight a's for gcse..i mean 3 b's are still good right.. hahaha..but anyway thanks for the advice..also my sister applied for law at ucl and the website demanded 3a's but she got offered 2a and a b which she got..but rejected by lse a sthey wanted 3a's..hehe...so its up to me to go to lse cause both my sisters have studied at ucl, one doing architecture and the other law..and my bro finished his medicine course at kings college....so family pressure is really weighing heavily here..any way, my as grades both b's are just short of 12 marks and obviously i know i can get more than that, especially in economics...

ReputationRep:
    im not sure if it is school policy to decline them because she said it was our choice if we want to, but since she is the senior dean i thought maybe she knows best..so im just wishing and hoping that i do get offered...i do hope she can put a DAMN GOOD reference for me....

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you've done lots of extra-curricular stuff related to your course, so that will help. Yeah, unfortunately sometimes even people with top grades get rejected by the top unis because they're just so competitive and the application process is about more than that. LSE are one of the unis that seem really hung up on GCSEs, so because you only got 1 A* and 3 Bs (same grades as me, by the way :cool: ) that might hurt your chances, but it depends how many others apply for that course and what their grades are like. It must be horrible having to live up to your parents' expectations when your siblings all did so well. I was the first in my family to even do A-levels, let alone go to uni, so luckily I didn't have that problem, but remember to go to a uni you like and do a course you like. You need to make yourself happy more than them. You should be able to pull your grades up with a few January resits since you were close to As anyway, so your teachers should be willing to predict you the grades you need, and since you've declined your AS grades, those predictions are all the unis will see.

ReputationRep:
    thanks again for the support...i just checked the website and it says that i need to do preferred a level subjects like history, maths, economics and english literature..and i am doing every single subject they prefer..but it also says.."applicants need excellent GCSE's including several a* and a's"...crap..haha...sigh...uni is tough...but in ucl it just prioritises GCSE grades in maths and english language which i got A's for...but nvm..thanks again...i just wanna get accepted to some uni's im applying for..i just dont want to get rejected..that's like my worst nightmare!!!!!
    oh yeah..i mean my siblings didn't do gcse's they did o levels and they only got like 2a's and 7 b's - that's the one doing law...hehehe...i mean the application process is so much more than grades...it's about personal statement, employment and the likes...sigh again...
    aren't you glad that you don't have to worry about this whole applying for uni thing..i mean it's just making me stressed!!!and im only 16..so im going to be only 17+ when i'll be in uni...hehehe....i hope they do pick me..hehehehe

ReputationRep:
    a guy at my school, really clever just real lazy,( kinda like me )got BCCD at AS. Retook 10 exams in January and worked his arse off. got 268, 271, 279, 289 and ended up with AAA at A2. u really have to take a long hard look at urself before A2 gets into full flow ( by mid september ) and setup some goals for urself. If u apply urself and remove distractions u can achieve what u want to get. Im in a similar situation and have chose not to apply this year purely because:

A - im not going to go anywhere top 10 with those grades
    B - Personal statement, UCAS stuff a distraction when ur doing so many retakes and balancing the much harder A2 material
    C - Save urself £15
    D - No need to panic and stress out for offers
    E - No need to rely on predictions. Get the grades u WANT at A2 and apply

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation I guess. At AS I got;

Psychology - C
    General Studies - C
    History - D (7 marks off a C, one really bad paper)
    English Literature - E

I'm resitting one Psychology module, one History module, and one English Lit module along with doing the English Lit coursework again.

However I'm not trying to get ABC, that's a bit adventurous isn't it really. I need CCC and believe I can get it. I know you lot don't know me and judging by this post I seem like a thick idiot, but is it possible to turn my grades round from AS to what I want? With alot of effort, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desperate47)
    thanks again for the support...i just checked the website and it says that i need to do preferred a level subjects like history, maths, economics and english literature..and i am doing every single subject they prefer..but it also says.."applicants need excellent GCSE's including several a* and a's"...crap..haha...sigh...uni is tough...but in ucl it just prioritises GCSE grades in maths and english language which i got A's for...but nvm..thanks again...i just wanna get accepted to some uni's im applying for..i just dont want to get rejected..that's like my worst nightmare!!!!!
    oh yeah..i mean my siblings didn't do gcse's they did o levels and they only got like 2a's and 7 b's - that's the one doing law...hehehe...i mean the application process is so much more than grades...it's about personal statement, employment and the likes...sigh again...
    aren't you glad that you don't have to worry about this whole applying for uni thing..i mean it's just making me stressed!!!and im only 16..so im going to be only 17+ when i'll be in uni...hehehe....i hope they do pick me..hehehehe
    LSE is by no means the only good uni in the country. UCL is great too and they seem much less hung up on GCSEs. Did you skip a year or something? You'll have to check if the unis you want to apply to have any age requirements because some don't accept under 18s at all and others don't let them stay in uni accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azza)
    I'm in a similar situation I guess. At AS I got;

Psychology - C
    General Studies - C
    History - D (7 marks off a C, one really bad paper)
    English Literature - E

I'm resitting one Psychology module, one History module, and one English Lit module along with doing the English Lit coursework again.

However I'm not trying to get ABC, that's a bit adventurous isn't it really. I need CCC and believe I can get it. I know you lot don't know me and judging by this post I seem like a thick idiot, but is it possible to turn my grades round from AS to what I want? With alot of effort, of course.
    Of course it is. Psychology is no problem if you got a C and that's all you need. History was close to a C anyway and it was only one really bad paper that dragged you down, so you should be able to get your grade up to a C when you resit it. English lit will obviously be the hardest, but if you're redoing the coursework as well as resitting an exam, it should be possible. But obviously remember to work hard at A2 as well because they're harder.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know lse isn't the only top uni in Uk but i prefer going there cause my siblings are from ucl u know...so parents are like "there's one more uni our family needs to go to-LSE"...so yeah..i might want to try warwick, ucl, durham, and bristol....but thanks anyway..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2006)
    a guy at my school, really clever just real lazy,( kinda like me )got BCCD at AS. Retook 10 exams in January and worked his arse off. got 268, 271, 279, 289 and ended up with AAA at A2. u really have to take a long hard look at urself before A2 gets into full flow ( by mid september ) and setup some goals for urself. If u apply urself and remove distractions u can achieve what u want to get. Im in a similar situation and have chose not to apply this year purely because:

A - im not going to go anywhere top 10 with those grades
    B - Personal statement, UCAS stuff a distraction when ur doing so many retakes and balancing the much harder A2 material
    C - Save urself £15
    D - No need to panic and stress out for offers
    E - No need to rely on predictions. Get the grades u WANT at A2 and apply
    Hmm. I was going to do that. I know I can get AAA, but I am going to give applying this year a shot anyway. Just incase

I got BBC at AS

But my modules were okay barring one in each subject
    AAC
    AAE
    ABB

I'm hoping my reference will explain this and I will be predicted AAA/AAB. If I don't get into the Uni's I want this time round I will definately take a gap year and apply post A2 hopefully with AAAa

I'm not that fussed if I have to take a Gap year but I know If I get just one offer from Durham, Bath, Warwick or Nottingham, I would definately take it and be extatic. Even if I was rejected by everywhere else.:p:

ReputationRep:
    what were u predicted?

I got BCC and was predicted ABC. Not enough for me

ur really lucky u got some As in modules. I got outta 12 modules 2 As so im retaking 9

ReputationRep:
    OP- forgive the harshness, but your grades are appalling. Particularly when considering you re-took the year!
    If you genuinely are set on applying for such an academically demanding course at university, it makes sense to put forward your application as normal to five universities at the beginning of the cycle, moving onto Ucas Extra if necessary. Once you have your A-levels in hand, you'll be in a much better position to vye for any remaining spaces- either via Clearing, or phoning universities individually. Though you may well get a place for Law via Clearing, it's dubious that it will be within a "top 50" university.

ReputationRep:
    I got CCDE at AS level. The uni's I'm looking at require 240 points overall to get onto the course. Do you think there's a chance I'll get offers/interviews from these uni's based on my application with these grades or not?

Also, the course at Sheffield Hallam came up on the clearing '07 list this year, does that mean the course is undersubscribed, thus meaning more chance of getting in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azza)
    I got CCDE at AS level. The uni's I'm looking at require 240 points overall to get onto the course. Do you think there's a chance I'll get offers/interviews from these uni's based on my application with these grades or not?

Also, the course at Sheffield Hallam came up on the clearing '07 list this year, does that mean the course is undersubscribed, thus meaning more chance of getting in?
    Definitely. 240 points is CCC, so you're only a grade off, and if they let you include the 20 points from the E at AS, assuming you've dropped that, CCDe would be the 240 points you need. If it was in Clearing this year, and I think Sheffield Hallam are in Clearing for quite a lot of courses every year, that's a good sign as well because it means they struggle to fill up their places, so they'll be more likely to be lenient regarding grades.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.