A thought about remembrance day Watch

jonnielovely
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Today, it is remembrance day.
I do wear poppies and observe the two minute slience.
I also highly appreciate them for their role for the country.
However I sometimes think that the remembrance day praised the solders and
veteran bravery so much. (I dont say they are not brave, or shouldnt be respected) however police and fire and coastguard mountain rescue they are also brave to protect people lives and business, but they dont got a day for them to be remembered. Also the solders who died in military action is tragic and I feel sad for them. However they dont need to died if the government dont sent them to warzones. The solders join the military is suppose to defend their own nation but not fighting in wars not related to us, the government is just sending unnecessary people to die. For me , I am willing to learn about military knowledge and to use it if necessary, but not for unnecessary wars.
Any thoughts?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jonnielovely)
Today, it is remembrance day.
I do wear poppies and observe the two minute slience.
I also highly appreciate them for their role for the country.
However I sometimes think that the remembrance day praised the solders and
veteran bravery so much. (I dont say they are not brave, or shouldnt be respected) however police and fire and coastguard mountain rescue they are also brave to protect people lives and business, but they dont got a day for them to be remembered. Also the solders who died in military action is tragic and I feel sad for them. However they dont need to died if the government dont sent them to warzones. The solders join the military is suppose to defend their own nation but not fighting in wars not related to us, the government is just sending unnecessary people to die. For me , I am willing to learn about military knowledge and to use it if necessary, but not for unnecessary wars.
Any thoughts?
There are memorial days for other public services, they're just not as well known. That is not the fault of the armed forces.

Who are you to define what wars and conflicts "relate to us"? Armistice day came about after WW1, we remember WW2, don't allow your misgivings about recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq to overshadow conflicts which had a real effect on the state and the security of the country. Trying to define what is and what isn't necessary is a complicated and thorny issue and cannot be succinctly summarised in a single thought like you're trying to do.
jonnielovely
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
There are memorial days for other public services, they're just not as well known. That is not the fault of the armed forces.

Who are you to define what wars and conflicts "relate to us"? Armistice day came about after WW1, we remember WW2, don't allow your misgivings about recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq to overshadow conflicts which had a real effect on the state and the security of the country. Trying to define what is and what isn't necessary is a complicated and thorny issue and cannot be succinctly summarised in a single thought like you're trying to do.
War is a very complicated issue, I agree with you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%