Turn on thread page Beta

2017 Will be the year of right wing populism. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a leftist but I've been disappointed with the left who I think have failed massively from the name calling, to the complaining, to all the other things they have done. They also seem to in general believe 2016 is some unlucky horrible year as if 2017 will be free sunshine, lollipops and rainbows for all. What people don't realize is this is only the start.

Brexit happened on a far-right populist ticket and the impact is clear. This has moved the Tory party to essentially become more like UKIP. To make matters worse for the left both moderate and not so moderate is getting pathetic... Completely unable to defend themselves and the overton window is now so far right Blair might as well be considered a communist. Trump won and again this is not some fluke this is fulled by right wing populism. Next will be France with either the "centre right" party or the national front projected to win. Then comes Germany with more or less the same dilemma.

The reason for this is clear: the status quo sucks, acting PC is seen as the status quo so people are getting less and less accepting of standard practice as things deteriorate. The left if they even get close to power like syriza are chained up and can't follow up on their promises so if both the left and status quo fail then right wing populism is the only way to go apparently.

If you are a part of this crowd this is great news and hopefully I'm wrong but next year will be the year of right wing populism. Trump will enter the white house on my birthday, Tory Brexit will be triggered, France will kick out their impressively hated leader for a right winger and Germany will have a similar story as well. I personally think this will be a disaster, not that things would have been ok if the useless left or the dangerous status quo got in either but we will just have to wait and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    "Everything I don't like is populism"

ReputationRep:
    The problem with identity politics which celebrates every minority group fighting for its "rights", is what happens when white people start doing it?

Anyone who doesn't realise this is all about race, and a white backlash against political correctness is kidding themselves.

You haven't seen anything yet. The National Front will take France next year. Those guys are out and out fascists.

ReputationRep:
    I am a populist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism

I just believe right wing populists are demagogues and are not actually for positive change, I'm not even convinced meaningful change through democracy can happen anymore. Inequality is so high and with globalization look what happens when the radical left take over. Syriza wasn't even allowed to do anything. People have turned to anti-immigration straight talking nationalists because there is only this or the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    The problem with identity politics which celebrates every minority group fighting for its "rights", is what happens when white people start doing it?

Anyone who doesn't realise this is all about race, and a white backlash against political correctness is kidding themselves.

You haven't seen anything yet. The National Front will take France next year. Those guys are out and out fascists.
    It's partly about that.
    It's also partly about the left's failure to speak up for the economic interests of the working classes.

Trump won in rust-belt places like Michigan, Ohio, Pensyllvania etc because he spoke to the disenfranchised working classes who have seen their jobs and communities be destroyed by unfettered globalisation. He offered a change. Clinton offered no change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    It's partly about that.
    It's also partly about the left's failure to speak up for the economic interests of the working classes.

Trump won in rust-belt places like Michigan, Ohio, Pensyllvania etc because he spoke to the disenfranchised working classes who have seen their jobs and communities be destroyed by unfettered globalisation. He offered a change. Clinton offered no change.
    I don't disagree.

But the left is too associated with all the PC identity politics bs to be listened to when it comes to economic solutions.

Clinton had the Cameron example to learn from. There are close links between the UK and US' political classes and she must have known that he called UKIP voters fruitcakes, loons and closet racists, and how well that went.

Yet still she called Trump supporters a "basket of deplorables." It became a badge of honour, of course, the biggest rallying point of the campaign (athough the MSM missed its importance yet again, because it was living in its own, DC, New York, LA bubble) and signified just how out of touch she was with her own historic base. You don't call potential supporters names if you want them to vote for you. You engage with their concerns..

As soon as I heard that speech I knew she had lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    I don't disagree.

But the left is too associated with all the PC identity politics bs to be listened to when it comes to economic solutions.

Clinton had the Cameron example to learn from. There are close links between the UK and US' political classes and she must have known that he called UKIP voters fruitcakes, loons and closet racists, and how well that went.

Yet still she called Trump supporters a "basket of deplorables." It became a badge of honour, of course, the biggest rallying point of the campaign (athough the MSM missed its importance yet again, because it was living in its own, DC, New York, LA bubble) and signified just how out of touch she was with her own historic base. You don't call potential supporters names if you want them to vote for you. You engage with their concerns..

As soon as I heard that speech I knew she had lost.
    Agreed and she also called Sanders supporters names too.

This is why I actually have far more respect for old fashioned leftists like Corbyn and Sanders than the new middle class 'centre-left liberals' and 'moderates'.
    The likes of Corbyn and Sanders focus on economics and actually recognise the frustration and anger of the working classes with the current economic system. They may not have all the answers but they recognise the problem.

The Blairites/Clintonite brand of lefties do not. They have been so obsessed with getting power that they have failed to provide any alternative. Their only 'progressive' values seem to come in the form of identity politics. Going on about safe spaces and accusing people who vote differently of being all sorts of bigots.

For all the criticism they receive, the likes of Owen Jones have been predicting this for years. That if the left do not put forward any alternative to the economic policies hurting the working classes then the far right will.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.