Proposal of UK-US free market? Watch

Poll: EU style Freedom of movement between the US and UK. Would it work?
Yes it would be a great idea. (0)
0%
No impractical and would not be totally free. (2)
100%
Not sure (0)
0%
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The fact is May is hinting towards Britain's total detachment from the EU and any free market agreements being terminated which means we are totally on our own.

May and Trump are possibly looking to creation of an economic free market union between the UK and US. It's not the ideal thing but when we are completely cut off from Europe it seems we have little choice and it would seem nice to be able to travel to another country outside the UK without visas, work permits, study permits etc.

But would it work? Freedom to travel to the US, even with visa free freedom of movement is not as easy as a 20 mile ferry crossing to France was! Then there is the fact Trump doesn't want any Muslims travelling to the US or indeed non-arynans.

Secondly the US is very strict on who enters, if you have as much as a UK parking fine you must declare it and that can stop you getting a visa.
Also the fact that its a good 7 hours flying time to the US. Unlike the 40 min London to Amsterdam flight. You could fly to the furthest part of the EU in less than 4 hours!

Would a free trade and freedom of movement Union across the Atlantic work as a good replacement to the EU?
recall113
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The UK is not going to preserve it's culture if it becomes just another state of the US, the size of a medium sized state like Minnesota, albeit with a much larger population. Of course it would have some special status but it would be very much subsumed into the whole.
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by recall113)
The UK is not going to preserve it's culture if it becomes just another state of the US, the size of a medium sized state like Minnesota, albeit with a much larger population. Of course it would have some special status but it would be very much subsumed into the whole.
The only other more likely outcome is that we form an economic free trade Union with Russia. Trump is pro-Putin and its likely that May could be convinced to form new ties with Russia.

If Britain needs or wants some free movement market post EU, then Russia is the most practical solution. Its a lot closer to Britain than the US is, and Russia is not so restrictive on who they let in. It could well be the only option. Putin has also offered living land in the Far East to the British.
SomeGuyHere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A free trade agreement isn't the same as being a member of the EU. It'll be much more along the lines of Canada-EU deal where goods move across the UK-USA and even financial services (something Canada doesn't have with the EU) but not people. America is our biggest single trading partner. Well they say it's the EU, they are 27 countries. The biggest single nation is America and we are their biggest direct investor. Our economies are joined at the hip.

The EU is a special case with freedom of movement. It's being looking into in places like south America but nowhere else has the right to move around and work unchecked.

If we follow the rest of the world it will very much work.

As for leaving the EU - I want something like that with them anyway. No free movement (although I'm not against it as such) and NO political union like they are clearly moving towards with a unified defence and court system. They aren't going to cut us off. We'll just need to play by the same rules as when others visit/trade and that goes both ways.

People in the UK seem to forget we are the 5th biggest economy, one of 5 members with veto at the UN, are the biggest military spending inside the EU(4th in the world), the 2nd biggest in NATO... Europe can't just pretend we don't exist. We have much too large of an international presence. For years the EU has pushed for that presence to be a "European one" because other then us, France, and to a lesser extent Germany Europe just doesn't have any power overseas. It only has "soft power" with trade and even that is only when everyone agrees.

(Original post by Ambitious1999)
The only other more likely outcome is that we form an economic free trade Union with Russia. Trump is pro-Putin and its likely that May could be convinced to form new ties with Russia.

If Britain needs or wants some free movement market post EU, then Russia is the most practical solution. Its a lot closer to Britain than the US is, and Russia is not so restrictive on who they let in. It could well be the only option. Putin has also offered living land in the Far East to the British.

The Russian visa application is 100 pages. They are very restrictive. Russia also has a "free trade zone" in the form of the commonwealth of independent states. The vision you're putting foreword isn't one I recognize. Having
said that they are a shrinking economy and world power. People put far too much into Russia as they work on their imagine when in reality they aren't doing so well at the moment.

Despite the fact I dislike putins politics I would welcome more trade and dealings with Russia. I don't think pushing a major nation to the fringes is every the right way to go. You want them at the table so you can talk with them and come to agreements. Even when you disagree you still needs to talk.
DarkEnergy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by recall113)
I agree with your point but your analogy is a bit of. Massachusetts is almost ten times smaller than the UK... ~27,000km2 versus ~245,000km2. Here is a map which puts it into perspective:
recall113
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's a map adjusted for population size.

Size of Minnesota = 225,181 km2

Size of UK = 242,495 km2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.87%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (327)
63.62%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.67%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed