Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I've got a little bit of a dilemma on my hands.

I had applied to do zoology at sheffield but unfortunatly I missed the grades to get in. I did however get a place via clearing at nottingham university. I went to the clearing open day at nottingham on wednesday and I wasn't too keen. The campus was nice (really nice infact) but the curse countent wasn't really what I was looking for, and the rest of the place was a dump (plus the accomodation was quite a distance away).

Now I have two options, do I resit the year, get the grades I want and go to the university of my choice (sheffield) or do I just go to nottingham?

Looking for your thoughts/opinions please

ReputationRep:
    is nottingham the only other place in the country that does zoology? if your not keen on the course content really think about it because i choose my course without really checking out the content and i am not happy at all this year as i have 5modules that i hate.
    try looking for other places quickly though

ReputationRep:
    it depends on your reasons for going. there were courses much better than mine about (english) but nottingham's campus and amazing night life is what made me want to go there. personally, i'm not that passionate about my subject - i just want a 2.1 and to party for 3 years. if zoology is a passion of yours then i'd suggest go to sheffield. Nottingham as an institution has a better overall reputation if prestige is a factor.

ReputationRep:
    re-sit for sheffield, forget your second best option

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to Nottingham, if the course isn't right for you now, that isn't going to change.

ReputationRep:
    I've made a thread in the nottingham section of the board to see what the people there think of it

The course isn't exactly terrible, but it lacks alot of the modules that really appealed to me at Sheffield. Zoology is quite a passion of mine (ok thats a lie, but animal life is a passion of mine) so I guess I want to make the right choice. But then again, I don't want to throw away the opportunity to have a great time at a great uni just because I'm being stubborn and wanting to go to my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    You should only really accept an alternative course because you'd actually choose to go there if your first choice wasn't available. In this case, it sounds like you'd only accept the Nottingham place for the sake of going to university this year rather than next year, which doesn't seem like an adequate reason if the course isn't what you want.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna see if I can go up to college and speak to my form tutor today (not even sure if he'll be in) and see what he thinks.

Dan

ReputationRep:
    Even though I'm a Sheffield fresher, I'll readily admit Nottingham is at least as good. You said 'the place is a dump'. What do you mean? It has probably the best campus in the UK. That said, I didn't like the accomodation set-up either. But if you're sure you want to go to Sheffield, don't go to somewhere you won't be happy.

ReputationRep:
    if your not sure, dont do it! take a year out, re-assess the situation, do any a years not long to wait plus you can work and earn money to help you thru uni or who knows, in a year you may have gone off the uni idea and decided to pursue a career

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.