Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I have to pick my a level choices soon and I am unsure on what to pick. I am allowed to pick 4 subjects and i am dceiding between: Maths, Biology, Psychology, Business Studies, Geography and Computer Science. At uni, i think i want to study biology or psychology, however im not sure so i want to keep my options open.
Im unsure on whether to take psychology because a lot of people say its pointless/ a waste of time/you dont need it. Im unsure on business since its a soft subject. Basically im just unsure lol
Please state which ones you think i should take and perhaps why/ your opinions if you took them at a levels. Thanks
ehportsopa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if you want to study bio or psychology in uni then i think you should look at the a level requirements in those universities to help you narrow down on subjects. (btw its just an opinion, also ask your counsilor for advice)
Shaaayxp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The preferred subjects for psychology at uni are actually maths and biology. I am guessing you need biology a level to do biology at university so if you do maths and biology a levels then you are all set for either biology or psychology. You could then choose two other options you would enjoy and do well at. If you wanted you could do psychology a level also to help you decide between doing psychology and biology at university.
RS012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by love4daisy)
Hi,
I have to pick my a level choices soon and I am unsure on what to pick. I am allowed to pick 4 subjects and i am dceiding between: Maths, Biology, Psychology, Business Studies, Geography and Computer Science. At uni, i think i want to study biology or psychology, however im not sure so i want to keep my options open.
Im unsure on whether to take psychology because a lot of people say its pointless/ a waste of time/you dont need it. Im unsure on business since its a soft subject. Basically im just unsure lol
Please state which ones you think i should take and perhaps why/ your opinions if you took them at a levels. Thanks
I do computer science, physics and History and computer science is really fun imo and coding is the best part, i dont think it would help with your future degrees though, if i were you i would take biology, maths and either chemistry or physics because a lot of univeristies like people taking Biology to have a levels in biology and other science, also you dont need to take psychology at a level to do it as a degree
izzy31
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are interested in Biology at GCSE you will enjoy it at A level as it is similar topics but a lot more content and in more depth. Maths I would recommend, especially if you are doing any type of Further Maths GCSE, as it helps a lot in C1 and C2. Also have you thought about Chemistry? I wasn't too keen about Chemistry at GCSE but it is far more interesting at A level and is definitely my favourite subject. It also goes well with Biology and Maths not only when applying for university but also content wise.
The Financier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For the degrees you're thinking of, Maths is a decent choice. It's liked by several disciplines, not just the Scientific ones so if you're unsure of what degree you want to do, it's a safe option. I also assume you like Biology given you're considering that for a degree, so probably an idea to pick that.

Otherwise, pick the ones that you feel you'll do better in and/or will enjoy and find interesting! If you like what you're studying you'll likely do better in it.
MindMax2000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Depends on what you want to do. However, you should bear in mind A Levels are not like GCSEs, and unless you're really good at something, your grades will take a hit.
I have done Maths, Business Studies, Geography, AS psychology; and I recently did a Level 3 in the sciences.

Biology will involve a lot of reading, but at the same time memorising keywords/definitions a lot. Your marks can more or less be determined by what keywords you include in your answers. From what I've heard, this continues on at uni, and there would be a lot more material to remember than at A Level, but you will also need to be able to summarise your answers succinctly e.g. 250 words.
Marking at Maths at A Level weighs a lot on getting the answer right; your method marks are minimal at best. It's a good subject to take to keep your options open at uni, but if you're going to study a soft subject, this is not relevant. The knowledge they offer you in statistics will be important though for psychology and biology at uni.
Business studies involve a lot of analysis and case studies. It's not hard by any means, but it requires you to think differently if you haven't done it at GCSE. I wouldn't count on using this as a leg up to apply for jobs - having studied business will mean very little to the employer.
Psychology more or less just looks into research techniques (which bored a lot of people who did it) as opposed to studying psychological theory. Like business studies, it's not particularly hard, but it requires you to be critical and be more active in thinking of things in terms of research. In the second year, you will likely do a research project yourself, and involve little to no theory. A lot of people manage to get an A out of this, so that's another thing to bear in mind.
Geography is both an art and a science. In terms of what you learn, it has uses, but in terms of application for your degree, it's not really applicable unless you're doing geography. It's an A Level where you need to do a lot of writing, and possibly field work, but also be able to give the answer in the way the examiners want it - so a lot of exam practice.
From what I've heard, Computer Science will involve a lot of programming. This means you will spend most of your time staring at the screen, wondering how to solve problems. It's not particularly challenging in terms of complexity, but if you don't have a knack for computers, logic, or algorithms, this is probably not for you. It's a useful option to have outside of uni, but not particularly if you decide to go into psychology. For biology, there may be some use, but not a lot.

If you're looking for subjects similar to each other, then try looking into the following combos:
Maths, Biology, Psychology
Business, Geography, Psychology

If you're looking for subjects that give you the broadest range of degree choices, I'd say:
Maths, Biology, Computer Science, Business Studies

However, whatever you feel your strengths are and what you want to do at uni will determine your choices more than anything above. It pays to look into the course requirements of your ideal universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (41)
16.02%
I'm not sure (8)
3.13%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (92)
35.94%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.56%
I'm not a current university student (111)
43.36%

Watched Threads