Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have to pick my a level choices soon and I am unsure on what to pick. I am allowed to pick 4 subjects and i am dceiding between: Maths, Biology, Psychology, Business Studies, Geography and Computer Science. At uni, i think i want to study biology or psychology, however im not sure so i want to keep my options open.
    Im unsure on whether to take psychology because a lot of people say its pointless/ a waste of time/you dont need it. Im unsure on business since its a soft subject. Basically im just unsure lol
    Please state which ones you think i should take and perhaps why/ your opinions if you took them at a levels. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    if you want to study bio or psychology in uni then i think you should look at the a level requirements in those universities to help you narrow down on subjects. (btw its just an opinion, also ask your counsilor for advice)

ReputationRep:
    The preferred subjects for psychology at uni are actually maths and biology. I am guessing you need biology a level to do biology at university so if you do maths and biology a levels then you are all set for either biology or psychology. You could then choose two other options you would enjoy and do well at. If you wanted you could do psychology a level also to help you decide between doing psychology and biology at university.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Keep in mind that if after one or two years of A Levels you felt like you wanted to change your mind you would probably still be eligible to go back and take more options. I spent 4 years at college without having to pay for anything which means you could take 6-8 A Levels. Don't panic about messing up because you can sort of try again if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love4daisy)
    Hi,
    I have to pick my a level choices soon and I am unsure on what to pick. I am allowed to pick 4 subjects and i am dceiding between: Maths, Biology, Psychology, Business Studies, Geography and Computer Science. At uni, i think i want to study biology or psychology, however im not sure so i want to keep my options open.
    Im unsure on whether to take psychology because a lot of people say its pointless/ a waste of time/you dont need it. Im unsure on business since its a soft subject. Basically im just unsure lol
    Please state which ones you think i should take and perhaps why/ your opinions if you took them at a levels. Thanks
    I do computer science, physics and History and computer science is really fun imo and coding is the best part, i dont think it would help with your future degrees though, if i were you i would take biology, maths and either chemistry or physics because a lot of univeristies like people taking Biology to have a levels in biology and other science, also you dont need to take psychology at a level to do it as a degree

ReputationRep:
    If you are interested in Biology at GCSE you will enjoy it at A level as it is similar topics but a lot more content and in more depth. Maths I would recommend, especially if you are doing any type of Further Maths GCSE, as it helps a lot in C1 and C2. Also have you thought about Chemistry? I wasn't too keen about Chemistry at GCSE but it is far more interesting at A level and is definitely my favourite subject. It also goes well with Biology and Maths not only when applying for university but also content wise.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    For the degrees you're thinking of, Maths is a decent choice. It's liked by several disciplines, not just the Scientific ones so if you're unsure of what degree you want to do, it's a safe option. I also assume you like Biology given you're considering that for a degree, so probably an idea to pick that.

Otherwise, pick the ones that you feel you'll do better in and/or will enjoy and find interesting! If you like what you're studying you'll likely do better in it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.