Turn on thread page Beta

What is cbt for ocd like? watch

I've had cbt focused on anxiety before but I was told I needed to tackle the ocd, I'm considering it but I don't really want to go, just a bit fed up and when I tried going again I had an awful experience which put me off so I was just wondering what is cbt for ocd like?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had cbt focused on anxiety before but I was told I needed to tackle the ocd, I'm considering it but I don't really want to go, just a bit fed up and when I tried going again I had an awful experience which put me off so I was just wondering what is cbt for ocd like?
    Depends a little bit on who you see, but it's not all that different from cbt for anxiety. The sort of techniques that they will have used for your anxiety will be applied to your ocd. They will probably try to get you to challenge yourself a bit, maybe by holding off on a ritual or something and it may be a bit more practical than the anxiety therapy since ocd tends to be a more practical thing in some ways.

Do you mind if I ask what happened? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to.

I personally didn't really like therapy. I found it stressful and kinda creepy I guess. I'm not so great with people and I think being there with on other person in a little room talking about all this personal stuff kinda puts me on guard. I'll tend to reach a point therapy just gets too stressful and I get annoyed with the therapist so i'll quit. I've learned that's kinda just how I work though so if I need to i'll still go back again, just to a different person if I can.
    I eventually tried group therapy (including cbt) and I actually found it better than one-to-one despite there being more people. I felt more supported and less odd since everybody there had issues too and when I did have a couple of bad experiences the group really helped me. I had a disagreement with one of the therapists in cbt while I was doing a demonstration and they just wouldn't let up. The group was really supportive of me though and made me feel a lot better about it.
    It could be worth trying some different types of therapy if you're feeling reluctant about going back. A different thrapist could also be a good idea if you're not already thinking of that. Don't be afraid to try something you're not sure about. You can always just leave if you don't like it.

This may be interesting to you. There's a programme called "camp OCD" about young adults getting therapy for severe OCD. What's shown on it is a little extreme at times since it deals with extreme cases in a short time so it won't be totally like what you would have and it's a bit different from the CBT I had, but it may give you some idea.
    It can be rather emotional at times though so just be warned about that.
    I think it was channel 4 so you may still be able to find it on OD or whatever their site is called now.

(Original post by Kindred)
    Depends a little bit on who you see, but it's not all that different from cbt for anxiety. The sort of techniques that they will have used for your anxiety will be applied to your ocd. They will probably try to get you to challenge yourself a bit, maybe by holding off on a ritual or something and it may be a bit more practical than the anxiety therapy since ocd tends to be a more practical thing in some ways.

Do you mind if I ask what happened? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to.

I personally didn't really like therapy. I found it stressful and kinda creepy I guess. I'm not so great with people and I think being there with on other person in a little room talking about all this personal stuff kinda puts me on guard. I'll tend to reach a point therapy just gets too stressful and I get annoyed with the therapist so i'll quit. I've learned that's kinda just how I work though so if I need to i'll still go back again, just to a different person if I can.
    I eventually tried group therapy (including cbt) and I actually found it better than one-to-one despite there being more people. I felt more supported and less odd since everybody there had issues too and when I did have a couple of bad experiences the group really helped me. I had a disagreement with one of the therapists in cbt while I was doing a demonstration and they just wouldn't let up. The group was really supportive of me though and made me feel a lot better about it.
    It could be worth trying some different types of therapy if you're feeling reluctant about going back. A different thrapist could also be a good idea if you're not already thinking of that. Don't be afraid to try something you're not sure about. You can always just leave if you don't like it.

This may be interesting to you. There's a programme called "camp OCD" about young adults getting therapy for severe OCD. What's shown on it is a little extreme at times since it deals with extreme cases in a short time so it won't be totally like what you would have and it's a bit different from the CBT I had, but it may give you some idea.
    It can be rather emotional at times though so just be warned about that.
    I think it was channel 4 so you may still be able to find it on OD or whatever their site is called now.
    Thank you for your reply. I'm glad the group CBT really helped

Well, I went back to do CBT for the OCD, the therapist was absolutely horrible, they just made me feel so bad, they were so critical, not supportive and not pushing me in a positive way or trying to get down to causes or building up to things. It made me feel ridiculously worse for a while and people had to basically give me therapy to get over therapy! Before that I had seen a nice therapist who really helped and I did feel a lot better for a while but then I was going back to university and the anxiety came back worse than before, I was having panic attacks which I'd only had once before. So I think where CBT hasn't helped me for a long period before and that bad experience, it's kind of put me off and I don't particularly feel like I want to do it again but I'm not sure if it will actually be helpful enough. I know you don't know until you try but I feel so bad and I know that my OCD thoughts are irrational, no one else thinks or behaves the way I do and some of it I can understand and I know I need to get over it but my anxiety just keeps coming back. I felt better after some exercise but obviously the anxiety was still there. I'm in the position of considering antidepressants and maybe just not CBT at all because I'm just so fed up of feeling like this
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for your reply. I'm glad the group CBT really helped

Well, I went back to do CBT for the OCD, the therapist was absolutely horrible, they just made me feel so bad, they were so critical, not supportive and not pushing me in a positive way or trying to get down to causes or building up to things. It made me feel ridiculously worse for a while and people had to basically give me therapy to get over therapy! Before that I had seen a nice therapist who really helped and I did feel a lot better for a while but then I was going back to university and the anxiety came back worse than before, I was having panic attacks which I'd only had once before. So I think where CBT hasn't helped me for a long period before and that bad experience, it's kind of put me off and I don't particularly feel like I want to do it again but I'm not sure if it will actually be helpful enough. I know you don't know until you try but I feel so bad and I know that my OCD thoughts are irrational, no one else thinks or behaves the way I do and some of it I can understand and I know I need to get over it but my anxiety just keeps coming back. I felt better after some exercise but obviously the anxiety was still there. I'm in the position of considering antidepressants and maybe just not CBT at all because I'm just so fed up of feeling like this
    I think maybe you should go talk to your doctor about all your optino including asking about medication. You don't have to go on meds, but it can be good to at least discuss the option. Try finding a different therapist. Some therapists just won't click with you and unfortionately some will not be good therapists. That doesn't mean you will have the same experience every time. Is there any way you could go back to the first one that helped you before? That might help since you have already built a repor with them.
    Alos, although your OCD is irrational (that's what all ocd is), you are not the only one. Loads of people have ocd and there's actually a cause behind it- you're not just crazy. It's changes in chemical balances in your brain that make annoying thoughs stick in your head when they shouldn't and give you all your OCD. There's a cause behind it just like any illness, it's just one people don't know much about yet. Once I realised I wasn't fighting myself, but a legitimate illness it got a little easier. I didn't feel quite so crazy anymore and often it was me beating myself up about what I was thinking that made it worse and boosted my anxiety.

Anyway, keep digging around for something that helps you and don't blame yourself for any of it. OCD and anxiety have a nasty way of pitting you against yourself and making you feel isolated. Don't give into that. You are not alone and you are not crazy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.