Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right i got my alevel results, didn't do as well as i'd planned and ended up with a B and a D...only a few marks off a C What are the chances of me getting into Glamorgan to do Psychology, they ask for 220 points, but someone i know said he's got in with only 140 points :/ Should i give them a try? I've heard people talking about a clearing passport, i dunno if i've got one of these. The only thing i've got is a clearning number on the ucas website. The ucas site said i'm currently in clearing but argh im so confused I don't know how to go about things, any help will be very appreciated xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshprincess)
    Right i got my alevel results, didn't do as well as i'd planned and ended up with a B and a D...only a few marks off a C What are the chances of me getting into Glamorgan to do Psychology, they ask for 220 points, but someone i know said he's got in with only 140 points :/ Should i give them a try? I've heard people talking about a clearing passport, i dunno if i've got one of these. The only thing i've got is a clearning number on the ucas website. The ucas site said i'm currently in clearing but argh im so confused I don't know how to go about things, any help will be very appreciated xx
    Hey there Welshprincess

The first thing to do is calm down, so that you can deal with the situation with a clear mindset. If the course is still available through clearing which it is then that's a good sign and usually means that they will accept lower points than their standard offer

Visit this page to get the freephone number for Glamorgan clearing and call them ASAP or alternatively you can fill out the form on the bottom of that page and they will call you back.

The sooner you ring them the better as places will gradually get taken up. When you ring them make sure you are prepared to answer a few questions about why you want to go to Glamorgan and why you want to do that course. Sometimes it can be like having a telephone interview so be well equipped.

Your clearing number will be enough to process your clearing application. If any more information is need they will tell you when you speak to them on the phone.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Oh and it would defnitely be worth mentioning to them how close you were to a C in your second subject. Sometimes they ask you to fax over your certificate so they can verify this but that wont take long.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. I feel a lot calmer now. I'm gonna have a chat with my dad about things tonight because he's not too keen on me going to uni this year, he'd rather me save some money before hand and then go next year. Once i get the go-ahead from him i'll give them a ring. Another thing i'm worried about is like student finance and student accomodation because it's so close to uni starting. Am i likely to get accomodation now? And how am i going to cope financially when i haven't applied for any grants or anything? I am so stressed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshprincess)
    Thank you for your reply. I feel a lot calmer now. I'm gonna have a chat with my dad about things tonight because he's not too keen on me going to uni this year, he'd rather me save some money before hand and then go next year. Once i get the go-ahead from him i'll give them a ring. Another thing i'm worried about is like student finance and student accomodation because it's so close to uni starting. Am i likely to get accomodation now? And how am i going to cope financially when i haven't applied for any grants or anything? I am so stressed
    I'm glad your feeling calmer- it's going to allow you to deal with the situation better

When you have a chat with your dad perhaps you can try to assure him that there are lots of initiatives and schemes that will ensure you cope whilst you are at Uni and if worst comes to worst you can get a part time job.

Even though it is late you can still apply for all forms of Student Finance; Maintenance Grants, Maintenance Loans, Bursaries, Student Account (including interest free overdraft) etc. However, the disadvantage of applying for these so late is that you are no longer guaranteed to receive any of them before the start of Universiy term. Again, all i can say is the sooner you apply the better. You can ask all your Student Finance specific questions here. There are loads of helpful guys on there that will help you

I know that universities usually don't guarantee accommodation to those that get in through clearing however first years almost always get in. This is because lots of people don't meet their offers, or meet their offers but decide not to go etc. Glamorgan actually have their own site section for Clearing Students' Accommodation so that looks very positive

Everything is possible even if it does seem difficult right now. Try not to stress or worry too much but try and get things done as quickly as possible as time is a factor.

Hope you and your dad manage to sort things out

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.