Access course questions Watch

luck2luke
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently 23 years old after finishing a 4 year apprenticeship as a vehicle mechanic. I feel like I can achieve more than this and I would like to study computer science at uni hopefully leading to a career in software engineering or some sort of games/app development. I am currently unemployed after leaving my job where I was not appreciated.

All of the access to IT courses start in September but it is quite a while to wait and I have seen online access courses but unsure of which ones are legit and if they are possible to pass without assistant from a lecturer.

Thankyou for your time.
AmeliaLost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would be very very cautious about online access courses. You might be better off applying for college for next September, which will give you time to set aside money assuming you're working, and learn some coding languages in your spare time to get the ball rolling.
luck2luke
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by AmeliaLost)
I would be very very cautious about online access courses. You might be better off applying for college for next September, which will give you time to set aside money assuming you're working, and learn some coding languages in your spare time to get the ball rolling.
Thankyou. What languages do you recommend? Im swaying towards python.
AmeliaLost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, it's all about python! It's a really readable language, so great for newbies.

in a few months once you've wrapped your head around it you could start learning Java too, which is what android apps use. It's not the friendliest language, but I've found actually having a product at the end (however rubbish) helps motivate me to actually code!

Relevant thread here too, if you've not already found it
Jaydee18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is a genuine provider of access course distance learning, the website is:
http://www.distancelearningcentre.co...FQmeGwodFGwJyg

Just a word of warning though, I am currently doing an access course at college and wouldn't recommend it for distance learning as it's quite hard work and extremely fast pace. I would wait to start college next year unless you are really sure you can manage it!
seize_the_day
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jaydee18)
There is a genuine provider of access course distance learning, the website is:
http://www.distancelearningcentre.co...FQmeGwodFGwJyg

Just a word of warning though, I am currently doing an access course at college and wouldn't recommend it for distance learning as it's quite hard work and extremely fast pace. I would wait to start college next year unless you are really sure you can manage it!
I'll second DLC. They're QAA approved and very good. How doable it is via distance learning is all a matter of how committed you are 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.18%
Worried (305)
17.95%
Terrified (378)
22.25%
Meh (163)
9.59%
Confused (37)
2.18%
Putting on a brave face (233)
13.71%
Impatient (213)
12.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise