Turn on thread page Beta

Headset with detachable microphone? watch

ReputationRep:
    HI!

Looking for a headset, and would appreciate some advice on models!

I have few specifications in mind..
    -Detachable microphone
    -Good noise cancelling/external soundproof capabilities
    -Comfortable
    -Adjustable to a small head size
    -Of course, they should sound good!
    -Also, as I'd like to use a headset for skype on my computer (which only has a headphone jack and USB) and also for my phone, I guess I'd need USB and 3.5mm jack support? Thought not sure how this works.. I have a Surface Pro 2 device and a Lumia phone. Does 3.5mm support on this tablet cover both input and output?

Budget is somewhat flexible, would definitely prefer under £100 but could potentially stretch a bit more for a really good product.

All of the above are really important in the product I buy. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't have a lot of experience with different headsets but I've got a HyperX Cloud II and can't really fault it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Clou...hyperX+cloud+2

(Comes in other colours if red isn't your thing)

The mic is detachable, solid range of size adjustments, decent noise cancelling and it has a standard 3.5mm adapter which can be plugged into a USB adapter with dedicated controls if you want to. Comfort is down to preference, I don't find it at all uncomfortable, although wearing glasses means it does get uncomfortable after a while. But it offers everything you want in high quality for only £70 (or less). And with 970 reviews on Amazon, almost all of which are 4 or 5 stars I'd say a lot of people agree. Really can't fault the Cloud II for it's price point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Bright Eyes)
    HI!

Looking for a headset, and would appreciate some advice on models!

I have few specifications in mind..
    -Detachable microphone
    -Good noise cancelling/external soundproof capabilities
    -Comfortable
    -Adjustable to a small head size
    -Also, as I'd like to use a headset for skype on my computer (which only has a headphone jack and USB) and also for my phone, I guess I'd need USB and 3.5mm jack support? Thought not sure how this works.. I have a Surface Pro 2 device and a Lumia phone.

All of the above are really important in the product I buy. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Assuming your budget is under £100, the Kingston HyperX Cloud II is excellent and meets the majority of your requirements. Comfortable, isolates well, has a detachable mic and can either be used with 3.5mm jacks with full mic functionality, or with the USB amp/surround sound module. They also sound great- I'm used to headsets sounding terrible compared to similarly priced headphones but these punch above their weight. The one downside is there are no inline controls on the main cable, only with the USB amp extension, which means you cannot adjust volume, answer calls etc without taking your phone out of your pocket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Assuming your budget is under £100, the Kingston HyperX Cloud II is excellent and meets the majority of your requirements. Comfortable, isolates well, has a detachable mic and can either be used with 3.5mm jacks with full mic functionality, or with the USB amp/surround sound module. They also sound great- I'm used to headsets sounding terrible compared to similarly priced headphones but these punch above their weight. The one downside is there are no inline controls on the main cable, only with the USB amp extension, which means you cannot adjust volume, answer calls etc without taking your phone out of your pocket.
    Thanks!

If I have the money, is the HyperX Cloud Revolver a big improvement (and is there something in my requirements that I'd be missing out on that was taken out since the Cloud2?) Or would there be another model that would be better for £100?

I'd be using for music and skyping.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

If I have the money, is the HyperX Cloud Revolver a big improvement (and is there something in my requirements that I'd be missing out on that was taken out since the Cloud2?) Or would there be another model that would be better for £100?

I'd be using for music and skyping.
    The Revolver is more of a side model than a direct upgrade, from my understanding it's not a large enough improvement to justify the price increase.

If you wanted to spend more than £100, I would personally buy a pair of normal headphones and a Cosmic, which lets you add headset abilities to any headphone. If you have a budget in mind I can make suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The Revolver is more of a side model than a direct upgrade, from my understanding it's not a large enough improvement to justify the price increase.

If you wanted to spend more than £100, I would personally buy a pair of normal headphones and a Cosmic, which lets you add headset abilities to any headphone. If you have a budget in mind I can make suggestions.
    Cheers, had a look around and that seems to be the consensus.

Leaning toward the Cloud II at the moment - the price is pretty much what I expected I to pay, I could go up to £100, but would not like to go beyond it, unless there's a really fantastic product out there that's a little bit more pricey.

I can get the Cloud II on Amazon for £70, and that seems a really good price.

ReputationRep:

Leaning toward the Cloud II at the moment - the price is pretty much what I expected I to pay, I could go up to £100, but would not like to go beyond it, unless there's a really fantastic product out there that's a little bit more pricey.

For £100, the headphones you'll find won't be much better than the Cloud II (which is seriously a testament to how good they sound) when you've also made budget for a Modmic. The Cloud II are probably the best all around option for you :yep:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(long post):

I have the HyperX Cloud II (gunmetal) which I got for £50 on Amazon last year during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. They are honestly extremely good for the price range and the accessories included are actually useful (mesh bag for storage, plane adapter, USB soundcard, pair of leather and velour earpads). The mesh bag is slightly weirdly designed though since the top of the bag is still exposed partially when you tighten the string.

The USB soundcards have a defect though, you will hear static through the headphones and although I was given a replacement for free by Kingston, the same problem occurs. Consider using a different soundcard or using the standard 3.5mm cable.

The clamping force on the headphones is slightly stronger out of the box compared to other headphones, perhaps due to the aluminium frame. You may want to stretch the headband before use, or keep them clamped on books overnight, especially if you wear glasses.

Both the leather and velour earpads are extremely comfortable. The leather pads will give you more sound isolation, they are more soft so slightly more comfortable, and they give you a slightly stronger bass. The velour pads give you less sound isolation however the sound stage is superior compared to the leather pads. This makes the velour pads better, in my opinion, for sound quality. Dust easily sticks onto velour pads so I do not recommend keeping your headphones out all the time.

Try out both the ear pads and get the leather/velour Brainwavz ear pads from Amazon if you want, for an extra £10-15. These ear pads are essential for every headphone since they are easily the most comfortable earpads on the market. If sound isolation is important I would recommend these since these earpads are almost 1.5x thicker than the in-box Cloud 2 ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    For £100, the headphones you'll find won't be much better than the Cloud II (which is seriously a testament to how good they sound) when you've also made budget for a Modmic. The Cloud II are probably the best all around option for you :yep:
    Got a pair!

Small problem though..

All works fine with 3.5mm and usb on my tablet, microphone on or off.

It doesn't work properly on my Lumia 730 phone, though. It only works when I plug in the microphone. I don't think it's a headset fault, they work fine on the tablet.

Edit: Okay, get this for weird:
    The headset works with my phone, without the microphone attached, when I plug the jack in partially.
    If I then attach the microphone, it continue to work fine.
    If I then push the jack in all the way, with the microphone still attached, it stops working!

Wth?! Putting the microphone in makes it no longer work with my phone, but only when the jack is pushed fully in. I obviously can't walk around with a half pushed in jack, which is the only way it works with the microphone off!

Also, I have a set of earphones that look like that have the same jack - with the 3 black stripes - and these work fine on my phone. Also, the headset, microphone or not, works perfectly with my friend's phone.

Is there a reason why the microphone would be affecting the sound coming through the headset, only from my phone? And why putting the jack in partially would alter this? I'm thinking the phone is detecting the headset as a headset when the microphone is plugged in, and as headphones when it's out, and is having some confusion. Perhaps when the jack is slightly pulled out, this affects what it's detecting the headset as? Seems to be having trouble with realising that it should be treated as headphones when the microphone is plugged into the headset, unless I pull the jack out slightly....

What's more, even though the headphones work when I plug the microphone into my lumia, the microphone doesn't! Haha .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subspace)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

(long post):

I have the HyperX Cloud II (gunmetal) which I got for £50 on Amazon last year during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. They are honestly extremely good for the price range and the accessories included are actually useful (mesh bag for storage, plane adapter, USB soundcard, pair of leather and velour earpads). The mesh bag is slightly weirdly designed though since the top of the bag is still exposed partially when you tighten the string.

The USB soundcards have a defect though, you will hear static through the headphones and although I was given a replacement for free by Kingston, the same problem occurs. Consider using a different soundcard or using the standard 3.5mm cable.

The clamping force on the headphones is slightly stronger out of the box compared to other headphones, perhaps due to the aluminium frame. You may want to stretch the headband before use, or keep them clamped on books overnight, especially if you wear glasses.

Both the leather and velour earpads are extremely comfortable. The leather pads will give you more sound isolation, they are more soft so slightly more comfortable, and they give you a slightly stronger bass. The velour pads give you less sound isolation however the sound stage is superior compared to the leather pads. This makes the velour pads better, in my opinion, for sound quality. Dust easily sticks onto velour pads so I do not recommend keeping your headphones out all the time.

Try out both the ear pads and get the leather/velour Brainwavz ear pads from Amazon if you want, for an extra £10-15. These ear pads are essential for every headphone since they are easily the most comfortable earpads on the market. If sound isolation is important I would recommend these since these earpads are almost 1.5x thicker than the in-box Cloud 2 ones.
    Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm going to report back how I find mine On a side note... if you know anything about my above post....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 12, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.