Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doubts.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was orignally going to take a year out and whatnot but decided not to and apply to uni late. I applied to teesside to do Computer Science because Ive read it has a good reputation for its computing degrees.

After research and all, i found it out was rated excellent in teaching which I was pleased with. Then i came across the leage tables after I applied, its position was lower than what I expected.

So I'm wondering, should I still go? its really frusrating. I just want to get a degree and i dont want Employers thinking "Teesside....thats a crap uni". So ive considered cancelling my application but I dont really want to... Ive only done the AVCE ICT course with all extra units so im quite limited to which uni's i can apply for.

This is most likely just nerves kicking in seeing as the time for uni is coming quickly...

I e-mailed the uni about the league table thing and they've replied saying that often enough, the percentage of firsts and 2:1 as measured against all the people entering the University (as opposed to entering the honours programme) is not as high as some University's who offer traditional honours degree only programmes - this often counts against them in the league tables and that together with entry requirements that are open for a wide range of people from different social groups effects them in the league table position.

So, in your opinion, If i get a degree in Computer Science from teesside, will it be frowned upon, or will employers just think its a typical degree from a univeristy which is "ok" or "good" for the subject.

Ta

Dave

ReputationRep:
    I live there. In general Teesside is a crap uni (ask anyone there!!), but for Computer Science & IT its one of the UK's finest. So for that field it's very respected by employers etc so don't worry about that. I know someone who turned down his Cambridge offer to do Computer Science at Teesside!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I know someone who turned down his Cambridge offer to do Computer Science at Teesside!
    Now that is something i dont beleive
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can get league tables for each subject, which might be more helpful than general university league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    You can get league tables for each subject, which might be more helpful than general university league tables.
    Ive looked at them, teesside is still like, 70th for computer science..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [-David-])
    Now that is something i dont beleive
    I kid you not.

ReputationRep:
    Ive looked at them, teesside is still like, 70th for computer science..
    Don't worry about the league tables too much....teesside is well respected for Computer Science - I don't imagine that an employer would de-value your degree because you didn't go to a prestigious uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Don't worry about the league tables too much....teesside is well respected for Computer Science - I don't imagine that an employer would de-value your degree because you didn't go to a prestigious uni.
    Phew, sounds good .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I know someone who turned down his Cambridge offer to do Computer Science at Teesside!
    I can think of why plenty of people would prefer Teesside to Oxbridge, but it seems a strange thing to do nonetheless...I wouldn't go through all the hassle of interviews at a university if I didn't want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    Although Teeside is bad, they might have some subjects that are strong and stuff. Try looking at subject league tables, try improving your A-level grades, or find a better university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Although Teeside is bad, they might have some subjects that are strong and stuff. Try looking at subject league tables, try improving your A-level grades, or find a better university.
    According to research it has a very good computing department. It just other areas of the uni aren't as good and im hoping employers will recognise that.

ReputationRep:
    According to research it has a very good computing department. It just other areas of the uni aren't as good and im hoping employers will recognise that.
    Well at the end of the day, don't waste a year of study at a university that you don't feel proud of. You should make the best of the results you've got (or are going to get)...if you really want to go somewhere else, now is the time to look into it. I'm sure you could go through clearing and get a place at a top 20 uni (for computer science) if your results are good.

ReputationRep:
    Well at the end of the day, don't waste a year of study at a university that you don't feel proud of. You should make the best of the results you've got (or are going to get)...if you really want to go somewhere else, now is the time to look into it. I'm sure you could go through clearing and get a place at a top 20 uni (for computer science) if your results are good.
    Without 3 Single A level grades and lack of Maths A level im pretty stuck heh

ReputationRep:
    The thing with Teesside Uni is (I live there. Not just 'there', actually 'there'. Not 'there there' mind, just 'there', i.e. 10 minutes down the road from the actual Uni itself, which is in MIddlesbrough town centre, which ain't half bad, but anyway...) in recent years it has recieved HUGE amounts of investment, which is a reason it is so well respected for computery type things (and sports science), as most of the money has been invested in brand spanking news things like that. The brand new building is one of the finest in Europe (really) and hosts a European computer awards thing.

I don't have a clue, because a) I'd want to move further afield so never considered Teesside and b) I know nothing about computers, but I'm sure there's something, some kind of facility it has which is the only one in Europe, or definately the best, or something like that. Some state of the art facility or other.

Anyway, this would also account for it's rather poor placing in the ranking tables - I'd expect it, in a couple of years, to be in the top 5 no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Without 3 Single A level grades and lack of Maths A level im pretty stuck heh
    Well you don't have to have A level maths to get a place on the Comp Sci course at Kent...and they are quite flexible on entry qualifications...for example, they actually told me that they preferred applicants who had studied for a BTEC rather than A-levels....

It's worth a shot... Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Well after reading this thread and going through my research I think i'll stick to teesside. A ton of people have told me its a good uni for computing based degrees so I think as long as I come out with a good degree i'll get a good job.

*starts to calm the hell down*

Thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Well after reading this thread and going through my research I think i'll stick to teesside. A ton of people have told me its a good uni for computing based degrees so I think as long as I come out with a good degree i'll get a good job.

*starts to calm the hell down*

Thanks everyone.
    Yeah, you should have no problem at all....good luck

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you should have no problem at all....good luck
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    I live there. Not just 'there', actually 'there'. Not 'there there' mind, just 'there'
    WHAT?!?!?!? hehe.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with what everyone else said, to be perfectly honest it's not a great uni but it has got a good reputation where computer stuff is concerned. If there is somewhere else you'd prefer to go you always have the option of having a gap year and applying again. you could spend the year getting some work experience or doing another course that might help you get entry to the uni of your choice. There's always the risk of not getting accepted to where you wanna go though and losing your place at teeside.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.