The Student Room Group

industrial piercings

I want an industrial piercing so much! BUT can't get one get one till next summer because someone told me they take ten months to heal and my school forbids piercings so i would probably at the least get a suspension which would not suit me favourably if it goes on my school record.

Anyway getting to the point - What do you guys think of industrial piercings? Do any of you have them? Have you had any problems with them? Someone told me they can cause damage to the structure of your ear.. How long did the healing take to heal? Thanks in advance:smile:
Industrial piercing? Is that like getting a girder welded to your ears?
Reply 3
I used to have one...

And yes, they take a LONG time to heal. I took mine out - well, half of it, I still have the top hole. I'm going to re-pierce the bottom myself soon, but in a different position as I'm having it a smaller gauge and with a curved barbell rather than straight, due to the position of the top piercing.

Be prepared for at least 10 months healing. If you start with a single long barbell, you might have some success switching to 2 small barbells (not CBRs, they're not very good and look stupid in industrials anyway :p:) if it's being a bitch to heal.

Cartilage collapse is a risk of industrial piercings, like with any cartilage piercing. Just make sure you go to a good piercer who will tell you if your ear isn't suitable and not just make a crap attempt anyway - I've seen some really bad industrials.

If you get one, use sea salt soaks to take care of it & that's pretty much it.
Reply 4
^ I've had the piercings for my industrial for about 3 weeks now - the piercer I went to said it was better to heal the holes seperately then put the barbell through. They seem to be healing alright, although I have noticed they get 'knocked around' much more than my other, lower ear piercings. As for healing times, a lot depends on your individual reaction to piercing; cartilage as a rule tends to heal slower though.
Reply 5
Apparently I'm in the minority here that really doesn't like them. I like most piercings, but industrial is just one I can't stand.
i think it looks cool..but jesus id be scared to get it caught on something...arghhhh..the rippage! :s
seabird
Apparently I'm in the minority here that really doesn't like them. I like most piercings, but industrial is just one I can't stand.

I've only just found out what one is... and they are so ugly! Why would you want that in your ear?
I got it done in April and I didn't find the healing too bad, although it hurts alot if you knock it on your hairbrush =S=S=S

Anyways, I think they are really cool!
Reply 9
Thank you for all your help, to those who disagree, how can you not like it it is pretty!!

I intend to get it in july 2008!! or May!! Anyways thanks!!!
Reply 10
ouch..
I had my industrial pierced around 2 months ago, it is by far the most annoying and angry piercing I have ever had, its started to settle a bit now, but at the slightest thing will flare up and go red and swelled...lovely as you can imagine. I'm determined to persevere with it, too many people seem to give up on them, and I can see why, but I think the end product will be worth it. Be patient and wait til you've finished school then go for it i'd say, I think they look great and distinctive on both boys and girls!
Reply 12
Lovely piercing if it goes right.
The only one I've ever seen in person was on a girl that came into work once, and it was all red and ugly :frown:
Reply 13
poetic_harriyot
Industrial piercing? Is that like getting a girder welded to your ears?

lmao, my thoughts also

but now seeing the pic. why cant u get 2 studs and put in a bar later?

imo its ugly but i imagine like many things ont he right person its alright
your choice anyways
I got my vertical industrial on the 6th of June at Holier Than Thou in Manchester, I'd highly recommend them to anyone getting any piercing around that area. I origionally had a slightly bent steel bar placed through both holes because of the placement of them but I found that it was putting a lot of pressure on them and I was in quite a bit of pain. I changed the bar to a bioplast one(bioplast is flexible and can be coloured, PFTE bars do the same thing, I think they're slightly more flexible but only come in white). This eased the pain a lot and it felt a lot better.

So I'd recommend that you get a PFTE/Bioplast bar in when/if you get an industrial and are having one bar through both holes. Also, the crusties dont stick to the bar which is another good thing.

Still healing and getting a few crusties, but it's doing good so far, and I've had no dreaded bumps either, so it's all good :smile:

(for those of you who don't know what a vertical one is like, here's mine)
Reply 15
chiefbunny
I got my vertical industrial on the 6th of June at Holier Than Thou in Manchester, I'd highly recommend them to anyone getting any piercing around that area. I origionally had a slightly bent steel bar placed through both holes because of the placement of them but I found that it was putting a lot of pressure on them and I was in quite a bit of pain. I changed the bar to a bioplast one(bioplast is flexible and can be coloured, PFTE bars do the same thing, I think they're slightly more flexible but only come in white). This eased the pain a lot and it felt a lot better.

So I'd recommend that you get a PFTE/Bioplast bar in when/if you get an industrial and are having one bar through both holes. Also, the crusties dont stick to the bar which is another good thing.

Still healing and getting a few crusties, but it's doing good so far, and I've had no dreaded bumps either, so it's all good :smile:

oooo.. Your piercing looks cool, I was aiming for the more typical industrial piercing but i like yours I lot. Is is easier to heal like that?
I think they would look cool on the right person . . . but don't do anything sporty or active in them . . . imagine if it got caught on something! Youch.
I think it migh be harder to heal, because of the more typical horizontal ones don't seem to go as through as much cartilage as mine, if you feel the thickness of the rim of your ear compared to the bit where mine is pierced. But I think it's def worth it, but thats just me, I love mine.

There are many variations of vertical ones, some of which start where my bottom hole is and end on the top of the ear, it all depends of your shape.

Another thing, I can only just get earphones in my ear, so if you were to get one similar, you'd have to think of the positioning of earphones if you use them a lot.

I personally like it a lot more than the typical ones because it's not typical and I've never seen anyone else in person with one like mine.

Oh yeah, and another thing, my mum was worried that someone could easily rip it out, but I think mine would be a lot harder to do that with than one on the edge because A - it's further in my ear and B - Its harder to grab onto.
i had one.. it was a bit of a bad experience really.

I wanted one but wasnt sure whether my ear was suitable (the upper conch seems to come out too far to fit a bar around, and my ear has quite a small rim).

The piercer (Acess all Areas, nottingham) told me it would be no problem and anyone can have an industrial. hmmm...

I got it done.. it never healed. the top hole was fine... bottom hole was too close to the edge but also dug into the cartilage at an angle. no way could a bar ever go between to two.

point of this post - go to a good piercers!
Reply 19
chiefbunny

yours is fairly nice looking, to someone who doesnt really like them at all at least

Latest