Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for advice about whether a master's in public health is worth it, or whether it's better to work yourself up through experience? I am looking to get into Public Health, and would love to take a masters in it just purely out of interest in the subject, but am worried that I'll spend so much more time in study and get into more debt only to be back where I've started - looking at very low level entry jobs because I don't have experience at a higher level. Is education or experience more important?

    And can anyone recommend courses that give you hands-on experience (e.g. a placement) during the course?

    It depends on exactly what you want to do. As you probably know, you can do 'public health' in a whole range of roles and careers, but most Public Health Specialists (i.e people who are professionally recognised as such) don't go from Uni to being a junior Public Health Specialists and then simply climbing a career ladder to become Directors of Public Health. Instead, they tend to wander about across a bunch of related jobs, ranging from Environmental Health Officer, to GP, to NHS management etc. Doing a MPH may be helpful along the way, depending on what particular field you are (going to be) employed in. Or it might not!

    In the past few years, the Faculty of Public Health's has tried to develop an universally recognised career development programme for people with relevant experience whose employer is willing to sponsor them through it. Such employers are almost always NHS or local authorities looking to develop a particular individual into a senior role). For a lot of people, the first year of this programme may be the MPH.

    If you haven't already seen it, the faculty's booklet might be helpful? Here
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2016
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.