Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my GCSE's I achieved generally pretty good grades, especially considering I was in the bottom set for pretty much everything, I achieved:
    Applied History - B
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A
    History - A
    Maths - B (I have resat this, in the hope of achieving an A)
    Media - D1
    Product Design - E
    Religious Studies - A*
    Science Additional - C
    Science Core - C
    Obviously my grades are still not great, but will the one disgraceful grade hold me back in a potential say, Cambridge application? Will my E hold me back in terms of Universities or jobs? Thankyou in advance.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on what kind of course you're applying for, but unless your course is related to product design they are not going to care about that E. Those grades could affect your application to Cambridge (their site says most applicants have 4 or 5 A*), but as long as your application is strong in other areas you could still get in. Most other universities would be very happy with those results though.
    When it comes to applying for jobs, they are probably not going to be very interested in your GCSE grades when you will have A-levels and a degree by the time you're applying for a professional job. Again, if the job is unrelated to product design they will probably take no notice of it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge requires a decent amount of A*, around 4-5 to even be considered, and not to put your hopes down, but most people who get accepted to Cambridge get at least 8 A*

...BUT.

You can make up for this by doing extra curricular activities e.g. DoFE.

You also need to preform outstanding in your A-levels to be considered for Cambridge.

...BUT.

We're only talking about Cambridge here. Those are still some solid results that'll be able to land you in a decent Uni, don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    Cambridge requires a decent amount of A*, around 4-5 to even be considered.
    That's not true, you don't need a set number of A*/A grades to gain a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    That's not true, you don't need a set number of A*/A grades to gain a place.
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...e-straight-a-s

Read this. Honestly, it depends on what you're taking.

If i want to take Medicine, they are incredible tough and harsh on what you need to get. Nobody with less than 8 A* will even be considered. It depends.

ReputationRep:
    Completely depends on which course at Cambridge and your performance in AS and A2. Providing you achieve a good set of AS in 4 subjects (maybe this isn't possible anymore with the new reforms, not too sure) with at least 85+ UMS, you will stand a chance. Oxford tends to be GCSE heavy so probably best not to apply there.

ReputationRep:

If i want to take Medicine, they are incredible tough and harsh on what you need to get. Nobody with less than 8 A* will even be considered. It depends.
    For every course they consider all parts of your application holistically. The majority of candidates having many A*s at GCSE doesn't mean they are required, it just shows that people who do well at GCSE tend to also do well at A-level. They wouldn't simply disregard someone who got 5As at AS and an amazing AA score just because they have less A*s at GCSE, when their AS results show clear upward progress.

ReputationRep:

Ok, my mistake, I somehow forgot to mention the course I want to study, law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizardlizard)
    It would depend on what kind of course you're applying for, but unless your course is related to product design they are not going to care about that E. Those grades could affect your application to Cambridge (their site says most applicants have 4 or 5 A*), but as long as your application is strong in other areas you could still get in. Most other universities would be very happy with those results though.
    When it comes to applying for jobs, they are probably not going to be very interested in your GCSE grades when you will have A-levels and a degree by the time you're applying for a professional job. Again, if the job is unrelated to product design they will probably take no notice of it at all.
    I want to study Law there, and the website only says '4 or 5 As or A*s' not necessarily A*s, which means on that basis I have the correct numbers of As-A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigwang)
    Completely depends on which course at Cambridge and your performance in AS and A2. Providing you achieve a good set of AS in 4 subjects (maybe this isn't possible anymore with the new reforms, not too sure) with at least 85+ UMS, you will stand a chance. Oxford tends to be GCSE heavy so probably best not to apply there.
    I'm part of the new course, wherein we do not do AS anymore, only full A levels at the end of year 13, and I take 3, not 4 A levels. My A levels are all, however, linked to the course I want to study Law.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge requires a decent amount of A*, around 4-5 to even be considered, and not to put your hopes down, but most people who get accepted to Cambridge get at least 8 A*

...BUT.

You also need to preform outstanding in your A-levels to be considered for Cambridge.

...BUT.

We're only talking about Cambridge here. Those are still some solid results that'll be able to land you in a decent Uni, don't worry about it.
    The website says '4-5 As or A*s' is the average, not '4-5 A*s', which means on that basis alone, I'm about average. DofE isn't really an option for me at this stage unfortunately also. And yes, to study law at Cambridge you need A*AA. I aim to achieve this, though of course whether I will or not is dubious. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousEric)
    In my GCSE's I achieved generally pretty good grades, especially considering I was in the bottom set for pretty much everything, I achieved:
    Applied History - B
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A
    History - A
    Maths - B (I have resat this, in the hope of achieving an A)
    Media - D1
    Product Design - E
    Religious Studies - A*
    Science Additional - C
    Science Core - C
    so 1 A* 3As 2Bs 2Cs, D1 and an E.

Mate, don't apply to Oxford you won't get an interview based off your GCSEs full stop.

Your only hope for Cambridge is getting 90/95%+ UMS across your ASs.

Universities don't care about Product Design so they won't care about the grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobb99998)
    so 1 A* 3As 2Bs 2Cs, D1 and an E.

Mate, don't apply to Oxford you won't get an interview based off your GCSEs full stop.

Your only hope for Cambridge is getting 90/95%+ UMS across your ASs.

Universities don't care about Product Design so they won't care about the grade.
    Yeah, I know. I'm aware Oxford is entirely impossible, so I named this thread about Cambridge, wherein I stand more of a chance. I no longer do AS, all my A levels are at the end of year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousEric)
    I'm part of the new course, wherein we do not do AS anymore, only full A levels at the end of year 13, and I take 3, not 4 A levels. My A levels are all, however, linked to the course I want to study Law.
    Law is highly competitive and whilst you may have 4-5 A-A*, most successful applicants will have at least 4A* plus don't forget the LNAT is also taken into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Law is highly competitive and whilst you may have 4-5 A-A*, most successful applicants will have at least 4A* plus don't forget the LNAT is also taken into consideration.
    Very true, it'll be extremely hard. Thanks.

ReputationRep:

...BUT.

...BUT.

Someone from the CT needs to delete this post. There's no GCSE requirement, they don't really select based on GCSE results - it's a matter of correlation than causation, you'd expect people who perform well at GCSE to perform well at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Someone from the CT needs to delete this post. There's no GCSE requirement, they don't really select based on GCSE results - it's a matter of correlation than causation, you'd expect people who perform well at GCSE to perform well at A-level.
    ffs, thought this was at mine , just ignore this pls thanks

ReputationRep:
    Most succesful applicants for law at Cambridge will probably achieve A*A*A or A*A*A* and some A*AA and others may do 4 but this is unlikely as like no law students do further maths. Most will be predicted 3/4A*s no question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobb99998)
    Most succesful applicants for law at Cambridge will probably achieve A*A*A or A*A*A* and some A*AA and others may do 4 but this is unlikely as like no law students do further maths. Most will be predicted 3/4A*s no question.
    Meant GCSEs but yeah, you're righr. most will have A*AA A*A*A predictions

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.