Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im in second year and have submitted my first ever essay through turn it in but i got 26% yellow similarity and I don't understand why?

The bits that are highlighted are my quotes in the text which I put with a citation and then referenced them. But most of my references are highlighted and many of my quotes? It just comes up with them being in another essay someone wrote but just because someone has used the same quote before that counts as similar even though I am talking about a completely different point? Did I just write them down wrong maybe? I mean even my essay title is highlighted in blue for some reason and they gave us the essay title.

Will I get marked down? I ticked the boxes to exclude quotes and bibliography and it goes down to 24% and green but still a bit confused by it all!

ReputationRep:
    If its the title, bibliography and quotes (properly cited!) then you have nothing to worry about.
    Common phrases such as 'this is wrong' will also be highlighted because people use them a lot.
    Its only an issue if your own work, as in your own words, come highlighted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    If its the title, bibliography and quotes (properly cited!) then you have nothing to worry about.
    Common phrases such as 'this is wrong' will also be highlighted because people use them a lot.
    Its only an issue if your own work, as in your own words, come highlighted
    yeah it was just all of my quotes really, none of my own work was highlighted, most of them doesn't even say where they are apparently from, some from other essay and books but because of citied and referenced I wouldn't think they would come up? but can you still get marked down for incorrect citing as that may be why a lot of my work as been highlighted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam1995)
    yeah it was just all of my quotes really, none of my own work was highlighted, most of them doesn't even say where they are apparently from, some from other essay and books but because of citied and referenced I wouldn't think they would come up? but can you still get marked down for incorrect citing as that may be why a lot of my work as been highlighted?
    As long as you have referenced them correctly, you have nothing to worry about. Ask your lecturer if she feels this is too much??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam1995)
    lmao, turnitin doesn't recognise if you cited it correctly or not. Think about it, it just checks if the words appear somewhere else...it doesn't link it back to the reference you provided.

And yes, incorrect citing may be classified as plagiarism and it is an academic offense.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah it'll be the quotes, you'll probably just get an email over the next few days clearing you but worst case scenario you'll get called in for a defence which should last about 30 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't worry about it. I once got 76% similarity on an assignment (didn't plagiarise at all) and nothing came of it - still got a 1st! So try not to panic about it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.