Is 4 A-Levels and 1 AS Level too much? Watch

maninblack00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So many people have told me that 5 is too much and I will get too stressed but I feel like I can handle it. I'm only considering doing it because I really like maths and I feel like doing Maths and Further Maths makes it more like 4.5, I don't think anyone in my school is thinking of doing 5. The subjects I'm definitely taking are:
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
The other 2 I'm unsure about is: Physics and Further Maths. I would like to do Medicine at Uni and I know physics is more relevant to it but if I choose physics, I'll want to take it to A2 - this will probably be harder than if I did Further Maths to A2 which would feel like 3.5 A-Levels.
I don't know which to take as a 4th, maybe even both, and whether I should continue with 4 or drop down to 3 and prioritise those ones. Please if you have any advice or experience please tell me what you think I should do.
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maninblack00)
So many people have told me that 5 is too much and I will get too stressed but I feel like I can handle it. I'm only considering doing it because I really like maths and I feel like doing Maths and Further Maths makes it more like 4.5, I don't think anyone in my school is thinking of doing 5. The subjects I'm definitely taking are:
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
The other 2 I'm unsure about is: Physics and Further Maths. I would like to do Medicine at Uni and I know physics is more relevant to it but if I choose physics, I'll want to take it to A2 - this will probably be harder than if I did Further Maths to A2 which would feel like 3.5 A-Levels.
I don't know which to take as a 4th, maybe even both, and whether I should continue with 4 or drop down to 3 and prioritise those ones. Please if you have any advice or experience please tell me what you think I should do.
My first thought when I started my second year was to do 4 A2s and an EPQ. I quickly dropped down to just 3 A2s. :lol:

When you're doing 4 A2s, you need to be absolutely sure that you can handle the workload. Even if it's in what feels like an extension subject in Further Maths, it IS extra material that you'll need to understand and revise for during exam time. Given that unis are absolutely fine with 3 A-Levels (and often if you're doing an extra A-Level, they'll match the grade requirement so if it was an AAA, it becomes an AAAA offer), do you really need to do it? If you're sure that you can handle it, by all means do it, but it's not necessary unless you really enjoy that subject.
maninblack00
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Financier)
My first thought when I started my second year was to do 4 A2s and an EPQ. I quickly dropped down to just 3 A2s. :lol:

When you're doing 4 A2s, you need to be absolutely sure that you can handle the workload. Even if it's in what feels like an extension subject in Further Maths, it IS extra material that you'll need to understand and revise for during exam time. Given that unis are absolutely fine with 3 A-Levels (and often if you're doing an extra A-Level, they'll match the grade requirement so if it was an AAA, it becomes an AAAA offer), do you really need to do it? If you're sure that you can handle it, by all means do it, but it's not necessary unless you really enjoy that subject.
Thanks for the advice! I do like FM but I don't want it to become an extra workload and jeopardise my other grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
student004
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
I'm in the same situation but I want to drop Biology and / or Chemistry because I'm thinking about doing Physics for a degree so I need Further Maths, Maths and Physics.
maninblack00
Rep:
?
(Original post by student004)
I'm in the same situation but I want to drop Biology and / or Chemistry because I'm thinking about doing Physics for a degree so I need Further Maths, Maths and Physics.
Do you think you'll take 5 then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
student004
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you think you'll take 5 then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to do an EPQ so I will have to drop biology but I'm confused about Chemistry
spacetechnology
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Medicine is insanely competitive so i'd say only do 4 so you can focus on getting the top grades in them, as none will ever want 5 AS levels. as for your fourth choice, just do whatever you enjoy the most really (warning: physics a level is VERY different to gcse, it's 80+% applied maths)
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do 3 A levels and even that is too much :rofl: it's because the advice i got is ''uni wants students to not only focus on getting the grade, but also volunteering, extra challenges relating to your subject like UKMT''
sixth form isn't just about going to classes and learn everything for your exam, there's more to it so the 2 years won't be as smooth as you may think (at least the ones in wales anyways)
username1893177
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did 5 subjects in year 13, but unlike you they were 3 A levels and 2 ASs. (In year 12 I did four ASs and the EPQ). I found it completely manageable, and seeing as I got over 90% in both ASs, could have probably revised them less and done another thing too. Ultimately, everyone's limits are different and you know yourself best Could you start off like that and cut down if it becomes too much?

(Also, just my point of view - further maths didn't feel like half a subject!!!)
hodobikar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's how much I am doing, its all good!!!
shohaib712
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
TBH the university's really don't care about the extra Alevels. They only want 2 sciences and an extra subject for medicine. However what they would like is a well rounded person with enough work experience, volunteering and extra curricular activities. If your sorted with experience and really enjoy the subjects then sure take as many as you like!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads