Opinions on doing a Masters Degree after a finishing a BSc at a bad university Watch

username2896682
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi Guys,

I need some advice - I will probably end up studying Computer Science at Salford or Manchester Met Uni which aren't highly regarded and will probably affect my graduate prospects. Would it improve my graduate prospects if I got a Masters Degree in a russell group uni afterwards? Or would the employer still disregard it because of where I studied my bachelors degree? Or am I being daft? Does it even matter? Are Salford and MMU even that bad? So many questions... any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
SeveralBadgers
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous0987)
Hi Guys,

I need some advice - I will probably end up studying Computer Science at Salford or Manchester Met Uni which aren't highly regarded and will probably affect my graduate prospects. Would it improve my graduate prospects if I got a Masters Degree in a russell group uni afterwards? Or would the employer still disregard it because of where I studied my bachelors degree? Or am I being daft? Does it even matter? Are Salford and MMU even that bad? So many questions... any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Hi Anon,

---
The tl;dr version of what I'm saying is: you've got the academic underpinnings, now go learn about the practical stuff
---

Don't worry about where you went to university, because in the grand scheme it doesn't matter. What matters is what you learned there (and more the interpersonal and research skills than the hard CS facts).

The best way to improve your CV is to go learn about practical, applicable skills in your field. In no particular order ..

1) Go learn a common language well (eg Java, C#, Ruby, PHP, Python), and then maybe get yourself familiar with a couple less common languages to broaden your horizons; F#, Haskell, Clojure, Lisp, Erlang/Elixir are good for this because they'll present you new concepts and paradigms.

2) Read more, if you're not already. Find good blogs on development topics that interest you; just pick a couple of interesting sounding questions and read the answers.

3) Re-invent the wheel. I know you've probably been a told a million times not to, but go do it. Don't do it for the purpose of releasing the code, but instead do it to learn how things work. If you want to work in the web space, for example, try writing an idiomatic routing engine in your language of choice. Write a templating engine. Write a basic CMS. These are all things you'd come across in your day to day job, and having a deeper understanding of them is incredibly helpful.

An employer doesn't particularly care what modules you did or where you went; unless you're applying for an embedded systems module and you studied games development or something, for example. An employer cares that you're able and willing to learn on the job, you'll fit with the existing team and you'll become an asset to them down the line. Remember: you're still a junior dev. They don't expect you to be on par with their experienced team members at all; they don't even expect you to write good code to begin with.

And most importantly: relax. If you like the subject, you've got this.
username2896682
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for your reply. That makes a LOT of sense. I just hear so many contradicting things such as "A degree from Salford is worthless" and "MMU - Mickey Mouse University". The list goes on. But I should stop worrying. I do agree with you that developing practical and applicable skills would be more valuable after a degree to get employed so I'll work towards that. Thanks again, you've been a great help!
SeveralBadgers
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for your reply. That makes a LOT of sense. I just hear so many contradicting things such as "A degree from Salford is worthless" and "MMU - Mickey Mouse University". The list goes on. But I should stop worrying. I do agree with you that developing practical and applicable skills would be more valuable after a degree to get employed so I'll work towards that. Thanks again, you've been a great help!
It's no problem, you're welcome.
pairofjeans
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Guys,
Are Salford and MMU even that bad?

Thanks
Nope. Not at all. And computer science is a prestigious degree. Just get some work experience and you'll be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads