Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

follow kaz to her A*A*AA!

I hope that this blog will encourage me to work hard and not slack off!! Please support me :bl: I'll be updating as much as possible with my grade progressions! Please be encouraging or get out of my blog! :kungfu:

A bit about me
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm a classical musician with three diplomas, a recent yacht sailing enthusiast, BTS trash, and the queen of procrastination:crown: Honestly I didn't think my AS's would be that bad because I had a really good prediction throughout. I think the problem was that I was taking too many subjects and had too many extracurriculars. And that I never really bothered to revise for tests, so that all revision material was crammed to the two months before exams. This year I'm really laying off music and focusing on academics.

Predicted Grades
    Spoiler:
    Show

Subjects (AS) [Predicted]:

Biology (C) [A]
    Chemistry (B) [A]
    Maths (A) [A] C1: 98 C2: 80 S1: 91 I WANT TO GET AN A*!
    Chinese (A) [A* achieved]
    Geography (dropped)
    Spanish Higher (dropped)

Honestly, for biology I could've gotten a B if it was marked by another examiner. I got it remarked and one of the papers went up two marks (which meant a B) and then went down two marks in another question. I checked the paper with the teacher, and there were just so many questions where I did not answer according to the mark scheme but the answer was right! So frustrating!

Maths C2 was something I knew I'd get, because I completely zoned out during the exam. I'll be retaking it, because in every single practice paper I got over 90% and I think I should get a higher mark.

University Choices
    Spoiler:
    Show

I've just applied to geology to all of these universities. Hopefully I'll get an offer!

University of Bristol
    University of Edinburgh
    Imperial College
    University of Manchester
    UCL

I'm also applying to some US liberal arts colleges as well, so I will also update on that!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to geology too!

ReputationRep:
    First update:
    Up to now I've been working quite hard on all my subjects, and doing quite well in all of my tests.

Biology:
    Spoiler:
    Show

85% (A) on Populations and Evolution

Chemistry:
    Spoiler:
    Show

78% (A) on Benzene and Phenols [highest in class woohoo! still didn't know how a 78% can be an A]
    70% (B) on Rates

Maths:
    Spoiler:
    Show

81% (A) on C3 Chapters 1-5 test
    8x% (A) on M1 Chapter 2 test (I forgot what I got)
    Just did the UKMT Senior challenge and got 86! :woohoo:

So far it seems like I've been doing quite well in all subjects but I have yet to get a 90% in tests. In chemistry I've been consistently getting high marks and sometimes over 90% in my prep, so I will keep this up. I have to revise rates more, and also work on my upcoming SAT in December.

I just did a M1 Chapter 3 test and a biology Photosynthesis and Nutrient Cycle test today. M1 was fine except that I forgot how to calculate impulse, so the 4 marks are gone. Biology was fine, not too hard, but I think I'll at most get a 70% because I didn't do well. I have a chemistry test on Carbonyls and Carboxylic Acids tomorrow! Will be revising hard for that one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishi.sekhri)
    I applied to geology too!
    Yay! Where did you apply for, if you don't mind??

ReputationRep:
    Applied to two of the same universities as you - Edinburgh (Physics w/ Year Abroad) and UCL (Medical Physics). There's an FB group for UCL applicants if you wanna join - https://www.facebook.com/groups/UCL2017Applicants/

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarenL)
    Yay! Where did you apply for, if you don't mind??
    Well I only applied for one which is durham and have an offer, imperials geology looks amazing tho omg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Applied to two of the same universities as you - Edinburgh (Physics w/ Year Abroad) and UCL (Medical Physics). There's an FB group for UCL applicants if you wanna join - https://www.facebook.com/groups/UCL2017Applicants/

Good luck!
    thank you! Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishi.sekhri)
    Well I only applied for one which is durham and have an offer, imperials geology looks amazing tho omg
    Wow congratulations! Yeah Imperial's geology does look amazing and I love its location as well!!! it's so hard to get in though

ReputationRep:
    Second update:
    I feel like I need an update given everything that's happening even though it's only been two days.

I just got an interview for Geology MSci at Imperial! So excited! Will have to organise flights as soon as possible, a train's quite impossible since it's quite far down south. Does anyone happen to know how a geology interview will be for a person who hasn't taken geology before?

Chemistry
    Spoiler:
    Show

Got 81% in Carbonyls and Carboxylic Acids. Remembered a whole bunch of stuff about acyl chloride reactions and carbonyl reactions but only one of the four ester reactions came up... Oh well, I guess that's what a test is all about.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.